Le'Veon Bell signs with Jets for real this time

49erurtaza

Anyone who thinks Bell is going to get $35 million from the Jets, that those are actual guarantees, doesn't know what they're talking about. The notion that Bell only had $10 mil guaranteed in his offer from the Steelers is also nonsense.

We've spent a year or more now hearing how the Steelers didn't respect Bell from a lot of people. How he was going to get paid and what a trailblazer he was. No, he's a moron who cost himself tens of millions of dollars. Antonio Brown looks like a rocket scientist compared to rappin' Leveon.

I remember when I said Bell screwed himself by not signing with the Steelers last year and a lot of Bell lovers blasted me. Dude just went from $15m/yr last year to $13m/yr this year.... plus he lost $15m sitting out. 

I wish I remember who it was who argued with me for pages about this. 

I mean, Bell sitting out for a year clearly cost him money.  But no one should be forced to play football against their will (that would be cruel) and the first year he played under the tag gave him more money than anybody really needs, so if he's happy then more power to him. 

People who say Bell 'lost' are flat out wrong. Bell wanted to avoid a career ending injury for long term security. He turned down 14 million to get 52 million, who cares about the AAV?

Hell, lets even include the year off in the AAV and say this was basically 10 million per season, thats still 5x better than playing on the tag for 14 million, tearing an ACL and getting much less money over the next four years. lets say he would get 8 million a year over the next four years after a serious injury, that would be a total of 46 million over 5 years including the tag. 

So the guy took zero risk and still got FIFTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS and is going to a city where he can make up that 'lost' 14 million in endorsements. he is honestly the king of NY right now (until Durant and Kyrie show up) EDIT: forgot about Aaron Judge

I dont feel bad for Leveon, but I feel bad for running backs in general after the rookie wage scale. They really need to make RBs have automatic pay bumps (contract escalators) for total carries etc because the cost of a rookie RB is low and the shelf life is short. Its brutal. 

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

When the position you play is treated as basically replaceable, you want that guaranteed money. Bell didn't get that from the steelers, it was a garbage offer from a team that clearly ddin't respect him.

Yes, just because they didn't offer him more guaranteed means they didn't "respect" him.  

The lack of basic logic on this site never ceases to amaze.

52 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Pretty decent deal, if we ignore the position he plays in.

On Bell's perspective the holdout thing didn't really work, since he's gonna be payed way less than he expected.

His holdout was for long term security or are you just deciding not to think about that?

I like this signing for the Jets, should really help young Darnold out and give him a security blanket. The money was less than I think most expected too. Good work Jets.

Shame they didn't land Barr as I feel he would have been a better fit for the Jets but there are plenty of draftable guys who seem like good fits.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Yes, just because they didn't offer him more guaranteed means they didn't "respect" him.  

The lack of basic logic on this site never ceases to amaze.

If your employer didn't pay you what you thought you were worth , wouldn't you be just a little annoyed/feel disrespected? 

Is it respect? Nah it's mostly business but when a team won't commit to you despite all the work you put in, I'd bet it felt like disrespect.

Either way the Ravens have a RB at QB and the steelers are imploding along with the bengals being the bengals, the AFC north is the browns to lose so nothing matters.

6 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

When the position you play is treated as basically replaceable, you want that guaranteed money. Bell didn't get that from the steelers, it was a garbage offer from a team that clearly ddin't respect him.

The people who are comparing what he might have had if he played well to what he ended up with are intentionally ignoring the risk that Bell would have to bet on staying healthy. Bell had made a total of $15MM in his career before he sat out, which is obviously a lot of money but isn't "my dozen grandkids are all going to private schools and Ivy leagues" money.

Bell got $35MM guaranteed, virtually risk free. His total maximum earnings are likely smaller than if he had played the year, then hit free agency, but he would have risked getting only the franchise tag money and that's it. Had he signed an extension with the Steelers and been the best RB in football for all 5 years, he would have made more, but then he risks getting only $10MM guaranteed, even less than the franchise tag. 

Bell is basically coming up on retirement, and this was the NFL player equivalent to moving your investments from mutual funds to bonds. You lower the maximum return, but you eliminate the risk.

Archived