Le'Veon Bell signs with Jets for real this time

49erurtaza

I love how the people attacking the Steelers offer to Bell are acting as if the Jets "fully" guaranteed $35 million. The Jets contract is going to give the team an out, likely after year two.

Or that the Steelers offer only had $10 million in guarantees.

Neither of these statements is factually correct.

Bell is going to end up with tens of millions of dollars less than he would have. That is factually correct.

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The point isn't whether the $2.5MM is guaranteed. It's how it will be paid - you can't pay a roster bonus to someone who isn't on the roster, and the contract only guarantees his 2019 salary upon the payment of a $2.5MM roster bonus.

Actually the point is if the $2.5mil would be guaranteed.  Because if your guaranteed that money, and your next year salary is guaranteed based on the previous money being guaranteed, that means it's all guaranteed.  

In the end he was going to get 2 years $33mil from the Steelers at minimum.

3 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I love how the people attacking the Steelers offer to Bell are acting as if the Jets "fully" guaranteed $35 million. The Jets contract is going to give the team an out, likely after year two.

Or that the Steelers offer only had $10 million in guarantees.

Neither of these statements is factually correct.

Bell is going to end up with tens of millions of dollars less than he would have. That is factually correct.

Why should people attack the steelers offer? They did what they supposed to do, not overpay for a RB. The offer is totally legit, but Bell wanted more guarantees. We'll see about the detail on his new contract btw.

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Actually the point is if the $2.5mil would be guaranteed.  Because if your guaranteed that money, and your next year salary is guaranteed based on the previous money being guaranteed, that means it's all guaranteed.  

In the end he was going to get 2 years $33mil from the Steelers at minimum.

I'll give an analogy here.

I write a contract that says, "I guarantee you that I will pay you $20 by check*, and then when I pay you that $20 check, I also owe you another $100 guaranteed by check". How much is guaranteed? $20.

*Please note that I reserve the right to change this to a $20 bill

Because if I walk up and hand you a $20 bill, not by check, I don't owe you the $100 check.

That's what the Steelers did. They made how the money was paid important.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:
29 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Then the Steelers are idiots for not just fully guaranteeing that money and keeping him. People trying to pretend that the difference between fully guaranteed money and "rolling guarantee" or "locking guaranteed" or "likely guaranteed" money is nothing are forgetting that the Steelers thought that distinction was important enough to burn their franchise tag one season and lose Bell for no compensation the next.

Why? Steelers have a good RB at the fraction of the cost. They were smart to not blow that money on that position.

You ignored the context of the post I was replying to.

There's an argument from Steelers fans that they "basically guaranteed" Bell $33MM or $45MM or some much larger number, so Bell should have taken the "basically guaranteed" money that wasn't actually guaranteed. If that argument is true, and only if, the Steelers are also idiots for not just actually guaranteeing the money to sign Bell, since he was going to earn it anyway.

Basically, what this boils down to is you can't say Bell was being petty over what is guaranteed without calling the Steelers equally petty.

Just now, evilpimp972 said:

Why should people attack the steelers offer? They did what they supposed to do, not overpay for a RB. The offer is totally legit, but Bell wanted more guarantees. We'll see about the detail on his new contract btw.

Actually, per Bell's own rap lyrics, he wanted a higher AAV. That number kept going up. It wasn't until the start of last year that we started hearing more about guarantees.

The initial report on the Steelers offer had something like 15-20 million in guarantees. Then reports stated it was "only" $10 million in fully guaranteed money. The rest "only" being guaranteed for things like injuries. Literally every argument being put forward by those defending Bell's decision is wrong here, even wrong when factoring in that we only really have speculation as to what the Steelers contract was. Every detail is being twisted in the most favorable light to Bell right down to people moronically assuming that all $35 mil of guarantees the Jets gave were "fully" guaranteed no matter what.

This deal was so great that Bell was stuck trying to gin up phantom interest and bidding wars over his services and he delayed signing it until the Jets nearly took it off the table.

Bell's deal with the Steelers would have paid him $21 million in year 1. 33 million over two years, reportedly. And $47 million over three.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Man he should have hired Eminem as his agent.

Well, if we're going off what Bell's agent said publicly, then even he said the $10 million in guarantees was inaccurate. When Bell repeatedly stated he wanted to be the highest paid RB with the highest paid AAV, I'll take him at his word, personally.

I'll also point out that  you are dead wrong on the HOW the Steelers intended to pay Bell. Because he was going to get, reportedly at least, a $10 milloin signing bonus and a $10 million roster bonus almost instantly after signing. How much money is that again?

8 hours ago, Tyty said:

Maybe they’ll give him another $50m in 4 years don’t be such a naysayer 

Yeah that sounds like something so stupid the Jets would do it.

The Bell apologists are also funny. He lost money in his move and now plays for (probably) a worse team. Smooth. Although even with NE he's in a weaker overall division so there's that!

Archived