Post-OBJ Trade 2nd Round Pick Targets

Mind Character

Who do we target or go after in Round 2 as our primary selection?

Who falls to the top of the 2nd in striking distance for a trade up? Should we trade up?

I'm assuming that anywhere from the 5th pick of the 2nd round to our own 2nd round pick is fair game via the possibility of a trade up.

At this point in the process, there are a lot of players that have wide ranges in terms of their projected draft position selection. Some mid and late 1st rounders are thought to be more like mid-2nd round prospects. Players like Brian Burns are thought to be mid first to mid 2nd. Byron Murphy, Hakeem Butler are both top 15 players and players that go in the first 10 picks of the 2nd round. Opinions on where such prospects get drafted are all over the place, and I'm not just talking about in the mind of the mock draftnik that has no idea where a player is going.

Who falls in the draft? Do the slower running uber talented CBs like Byron Murphy fall to the top of the 2nd? Does Tillery's perceived inconsistencies push him to the top of the 2nd?

What Olineman will be available at the top of the 2nd? WRs?

Are there interior OLineman and/or Safeties with Nickel LB versatility that might be targets?

2nd Round Pick and 2nd Round Trade up  Big Board:

1.) Jerry Tillery, DT Notre Dame

2.) Hakeem Butler, WR Iowa St.

3.) Garrett Bradbury, C NC State

4.) Jeffery Simmons, DT Miss St.

5.) Amani Oruwariye, CB Penn State

6.) Emmanuel Butler, WR Northern Arizona

7.) AJ Brown, WR Ole Miss

8a.) Chuma Edoga, OT USC

8b.) Byron Murphy, CB Washingtoon

9.) Dalton Risner, OT/OG Kansas St

10.) Titus Howard, OT Alabama St.

11.) Jonathan Abram, S/NDB Miss St.

12a.) Brian Burns, DE Florida St.

12b.) Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple

13.) Joejuan Williams, CB Vanderbilt

14.) Deebo Samuels, WR South Carolina

If Dorsey likes Simmons as much as has been speculated, he's the pick that makes the most sense if he falls into day 2.  And, with the depth of interior DL talent I expect to go high in the draft, I think there's a good chance he does fall due to not being available for use. 

My own opinion on Simmons isn't as high as many that think he's a top 5-10 player in the draft pre-injury.  If that is the analysis of him though, this injury should not severely alter our evaluation of him.  Youth on the DL is something we could use.  And the luxury of a red-shirt year is out there.  It's a pick that makes sense if they like him as a player. 

I'm okay with most of the guys on your list.  Kendall Sheffield is a hard no until day 3 for me.  He has great athletic ability but has some of the worst actual techniques and ball skills and actually got worse as the season goes.  Four seasons into college and as athletic as he is, he should not get torched so much.  Hard pass in the 2nd there.  If we could come away with a starting caliber player like Murphy or Bradbury or they like Simmons and have a plan there, that's a big 2nd round win for me.  As far as players go, falling all the way into the 2nd round, sticking to BPA seems like the obvious method. 

10 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Kendall Sheffield is a hard no until day 3 for me. 

All facts you speak on Sheffield. I couldn't agree more and have been trying to convince some of my friends that went to OSU.

I haven't had him in my top 70 since I really watched him (I used to like him as a player) and have talked about how overrated he is, but for some strange reason I typed his name while I sit at this coffee shop and meant to put Rock Ya-Sin there not Sheffield.

This draft should be relatively “easy” imo.

Take what’s there, that’s all you have to do.  We have no glaring hole that needs to be filled.

My only hope is we don’t trade up a bunch and end up with like 3 picks.  I think we need all of our picks for depth and development.  Get the best prospects you can and get them in and let them sit and learn.

14 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns10 said:

It's gonna be best LB or Best Corner. That's my thought.

I like these guys @ 49

Germaine Pratt, LB

Amani Oruwariye, CB

Dalton Risner, OT/OG

Trayvon Mullen, CB

Julian Love, CB

Justin Layne, CB

Somebody better likely could drop but I pretty much expect most of these guys to be there. 

3 hours ago, nugpimpen said:

Bpaaaaaaaaaaa except for QB, RB and WR probably 

I still think you can take a WR if you don’t resign Higgins long term TBH.  Maybe a tall guy.  That being said I think they are still trying to sign him?

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

I still think you can take a WR if you don’t resign Higgins long term TBH.  Maybe a tall guy.  That being said I think they are still trying to sign him?

If Higgins is gone I would love to get Hakeem Butler in the second round.. provided Dorsey and co. feel he is the BPA.

Archived