Sign in to follow this  
AlanFanecaFan

Steeler Pro Day/Visits

Just starting the list here since where Tombert go for Pro Days telegraphs who they like/interested in.

Today(3/13) is Clemson...ill update as it’s being reported.

————————————————————-

March 13-(Wisconsin)

OL Coach Kleem with OL Michael Dieter and Nate Trewyn

————————————————————

March 14-(Clemson)

Tomlin and ILB Coach Olvsalsky and DL Coach Dunbar

——————————————————

March 15-(Michigan)

Tomlin/Colbert/Def Coach Austin/LB Coach Olvsalsky

***Olvsalsky did LB drills****

Edited by AlanFanecaFan

Chase Winovich feels like the perfect round 2 target.  He wasn't the best on the DL in Michigan, but was very good.  More technically sound than athlete at the position.  Bit of a tweeter.  But here's why I would like to see Houston signed and Winovich drafted: Winovich isn't ready day 1.  He needs to rotate in.  In fact, we need to do better overall with that.  I would love to see Houston signed, start Houston & Watt, Dupree is the early rotation guy.  Then as the season goes on phase Dupree out for Winovich.  In year two, start Houston again, but do some 2-4 with Houston, Winovoch, Watt all on the field together, and as that season goes on Winovich continues to get more time over Houston.

Right after I type that I come across this.  Austin is the coach from the Bengals we brought in.  He's responsible for the development of guys like Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, and Carl Lawson.  He likes taller, longer, DE's with a quick 10 yard split.  I think that's most likely why Colbert is on the 10-yard line, and I would guess Tomlin is at the 40.

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Austin is the coach from the Bengals we brought in

Isn't he doing secondary now??  Is there any coverage guys we like??

7 minutes ago, kurgan said:

Isn't he doing secondary now??  Is there any coverage guys we like??

He's a defensive assistant coach.  He isn't focused on one or the other.

26 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Chase Winovich feels like the perfect round 2 target.  He wasn't the best on the DL in Michigan, but was very good.  More technically sound than athlete at the position.  Bit of a tweeter.  But here's why I would like to see Houston signed and Winovich drafted: Winovich isn't ready day 1.  He needs to rotate in.  In fact, we need to do better overall with that.  I would love to see Houston signed, start Houston & Watt, Dupree is the early rotation guy.  Then as the season goes on phase Dupree out for Winovich.  In year two, start Houston again, but do some 2-4 with Houston, Winovoch, Watt all on the field together, and as that season goes on Winovich continues to get more time over Houston.

Winovich is Chick 2.0.  Not the type of player I would waste a 2nd on.  He will be a great ST player...like Chick.  Below is combine for Winovich, Smith-Sutton and Chickillo.  You can look it up to figure out which is which.

40: 4.69    4.59     4.79

Bench 25     18     18

VJ 31.5     30.5     30.5

BJ 118     116     116

3C 6.75     6.94     6.94

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Winovich is Chick 2.0.  Not the type of player I would waste a 2nd on.  He will be a great ST player...like Chick.  Below is combine for Winovich, Smith-Sutton and Chickillo.  You can look it up to figure out which is which.

40: 4.69    4.59     4.79

Bench 25     18     18

VJ 31.5     30.5     30.5

BJ 118     116     116

3C 6.75     6.94     6.94

Yikes, I didn't realize that Chick tested so well at the combine. 

Also, I'm guessing they were looking at Bush and Gary more than Winovich. I know they did the dinner meeting, but that's what I'd guess.

On January 8, 2019 it was announced that Austin had been hired as the Senior Defensive Assistant/Secondary for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

What about CBs Lavert Hill and David Long??

Winovich  and Smith-Sutton might be players that their better positions are off the ball LB that can also blitz.  Both would fit in well in NE or Baltimore's hybrid defense.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Winovich  and Smith-Sutton might be players that their better positions are off the ball LB that can also blitz.  Both would fit in well in NE or Baltimore's hybrid defense.

As a 4-3 SAM or something close? I could see it as long as both are asked to attack and set the edge on almost every play. 

Neither did LB dills in the combine.  If either/both could show some coverage ability they would be great at ILB in a 3-4.Both have the hips to do it.  Neither has the sand in the pants to be a decent OLB in the Steeler system.  Both would have the  same issue as Chick which is setting the edge.

Edited by jebrick

Updated with Clemson and Michigan Pro Days and who attended...

Everyone and their mother at Michigan Pro Day...Devin Bush surely seems to be a possible target of theirs.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan