Steeler Pro Day/Visits

AFF

Just starting the list here since where Tombert go for Pro Days telegraphs who they like/interested in.

Today(3/13) is Clemson...Tomlin/Dunbar/Jerry O

————————————————————-

March 13-(Wisconsin)

OL Coach Kleem with OL Michael Dieter and Nate Trewyn

————————————————————

March 14-(Clemson)

Tomlin and ILB Coach Olvsalsky and DL Coach Dunbar

——————————————————

March 15-(Michigan)

Tomlin/Colbert/Def Coach Austin/LB Coach Olvsalsky

***Olvsalsky did LB drills****

———————————————————

March 18-(Michigan St)

Colbert and defensive assist. Austin

****Austin did the DB drill with DB Layne***

——————————————————

March 19-(Alabama)

Colbert/Dunbar/Jerrry O/Butler

(Penn St)

DB Coach Bradley

(Toledo)

ST Coach Danny Smith(for Kicker)

March 20-(Notre Dame)

Colbert/Def Coach Austin

(Austin ran DB Love through drills)

Georgia

Butler/Fichtner

Pitt

RB Coach Faulkner 

March 21-(West Virginia)

Colbert/Tomlin/ILB Coach Olvsalsky

March 22-(LSU)

Colbert/Tomlin/Olvsalsky

Kentucky

Austin/RB Coach Faulkner

Delaware

DB Coach Bradley

————————————————————————————————————————————————

Steelers 30 visits

1)WR Andy Isabella UMass

2)WR Miles Boykin ND

3)RBMike Weber Ohio St

4)S Darnell Savage MD

5)Edge Ben Banogu TCU

6)DL/Edge Charles Omenihu Texas

7)ILB Ulysses Gilbert III Akron

8)Dillon Mitchel WR Oregon

9)Miles Sanders RB Penn St*

10)Damien Harris RB Bama

11)Jordan Scarlett RB Florida

12)Travis Homer RB Canes

13)Alizé Mack TE Notre Dame

14)Jordan Brailford Edge Ok St

15)Gary Johnson ILB Texas

16)David Long ILB WVU*

17)Ben-Burr Kurven ILB Washington 

18)Sean Bunting CB Central Michigan

19)Justin Layne CB Michigan St

20)Rock-Ya Sin CB Temple

21)Ugo Amadi S Oregon

22)Deacon Askew-Henry S WVU*

* denotes local visit and doesn’t count against 30 total visits.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan
  • Like 1

Chase Winovich feels like the perfect round 2 target.  He wasn't the best on the DL in Michigan, but was very good.  More technically sound than athlete at the position.  Bit of a tweeter.  But here's why I would like to see Houston signed and Winovich drafted: Winovich isn't ready day 1.  He needs to rotate in.  In fact, we need to do better overall with that.  I would love to see Houston signed, start Houston & Watt, Dupree is the early rotation guy.  Then as the season goes on phase Dupree out for Winovich.  In year two, start Houston again, but do some 2-4 with Houston, Winovoch, Watt all on the field together, and as that season goes on Winovich continues to get more time over Houston.

• Like 1

Right after I type that I come across this.  Austin is the coach from the Bengals we brought in.  He's responsible for the development of guys like Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, and Carl Lawson.  He likes taller, longer, DE's with a quick 10 yard split.  I think that's most likely why Colbert is on the 10-yard line, and I would guess Tomlin is at the 40.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Chase Winovich feels like the perfect round 2 target.  He wasn't the best on the DL in Michigan, but was very good.  More technically sound than athlete at the position.  Bit of a tweeter.  But here's why I would like to see Houston signed and Winovich drafted: Winovich isn't ready day 1.  He needs to rotate in.  In fact, we need to do better overall with that.  I would love to see Houston signed, start Houston & Watt, Dupree is the early rotation guy.  Then as the season goes on phase Dupree out for Winovich.  In year two, start Houston again, but do some 2-4 with Houston, Winovoch, Watt all on the field together, and as that season goes on Winovich continues to get more time over Houston.

Winovich is Chick 2.0.  Not the type of player I would waste a 2nd on.  He will be a great ST player...like Chick.  Below is combine for Winovich, Smith-Sutton and Chickillo.  You can look it up to figure out which is which.

40: 4.69    4.59     4.79

Bench 25     18     18

VJ 31.5     30.5     30.5

BJ 118     116     116

3C 6.75     6.94     6.94

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Winovich is Chick 2.0.  Not the type of player I would waste a 2nd on.  He will be a great ST player...like Chick.  Below is combine for Winovich, Smith-Sutton and Chickillo.  You can look it up to figure out which is which.

40: 4.69    4.59     4.79

Bench 25     18     18

VJ 31.5     30.5     30.5

BJ 118     116     116

3C 6.75     6.94     6.94

Yikes, I didn't realize that Chick tested so well at the combine. 

Also, I'm guessing they were looking at Bush and Gary more than Winovich. I know they did the dinner meeting, but that's what I'd guess.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Winovich  and Smith-Sutton might be players that their better positions are off the ball LB that can also blitz.  Both would fit in well in NE or Baltimore's hybrid defense.

As a 4-3 SAM or something close? I could see it as long as both are asked to attack and set the edge on almost every play. 

Neither did LB dills in the combine.  If either/both could show some coverage ability they would be great at ILB in a 3-4.Both have the hips to do it.  Neither has the sand in the pants to be a decent OLB in the Steeler system.  Both would have the  same issue as Chick which is setting the edge.

Edited by jebrick

Updated with Clemson and Michigan Pro Days and who attended...

Everyone and their mother at Michigan Pro Day...Devin Bush surely seems to be a possible target of theirs.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan