Steeler Pro Day/Visits

AFF

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/3/22/18276065/steelers-staff-members-on-hand-for-notable-pro-days-at-notre-dame-west-virginia-georgia-and-more-nfl

Steelers at a lot of pro days on Wednesday.  Colbert went to Notre Dame rather than OSU

Fichtner and butler at Georgia pro day

Tomlin and Colbert were both at WVU pro day.

Thanks Brick, will update main page later...sorry fellas internet issues.

Bringing Weber from Ohio State in next week, I'd love to see him as one of our 3rds if he’s there. Not a super need but I do really like him and think we would be set at RB for a long time with Connor, Samuels and Weber with next to nothing spent contract wise. I think Weber’s a perfect #2 on our team. 

On 3/23/2019 at 2:51 AM, SteelersFan2333 said:

Bringing Weber from Ohio State in next week, I'd love to see him as one of our 3rds if he’s there. Not a super need but I do really like him and think we would be set at RB for a long time with Connor, Samuels and Weber with next to nothing spent contract wise. I think Weber’s a perfect #2 on our team. 

I think you can Weber much later. 5th, 6th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

In what way? What are other teams doing that ours isn’t? Of all the complaints this may be the strangest. 

not sure why that seems so strange to you before even knowing my reasoning but i get what you are trying to do

im not sure what other team are doing and dont really care.

what i do know is the draft is the most important part of building your team, especially the steelers which dont really us FA

i dont understand why dont we have all our staff at pro days. some days we send 1, some 5, some none etc

i understand that if several schools have theirs on the same day, the staff get split up, but to not send out your full compliment somewhere, seems like due diligence isnt being done

what else does your staff (other than colbert)have to do this time of the year?

21 minutes ago, muncher said:

not sure why that seems so strange to you before even knowing my reasoning but i get what you are trying to do

im not sure what other team are doing and dont really care.

what i do know is the draft is the most important part of building your team, especially the steelers which dont really us FA

i dont understand why dont we have all our staff at pro days. some days we send 1, some 5, some none etc

i understand that if several schools have theirs on the same day, the staff get split up, but to not send out your full compliment somewhere, seems like due diligence isnt being done

what else does your staff (other than colbert)have to do this time of the year?

I mean you answered your own question. Multiple pro days happening at the same time. 

Also there’s some staff starting to scout 2020, some is still working on FA, some are working on current player contracts. 

The days we send 1 (like Pitt) there isn’t many guys to evaluate, or they are late round guys. Meanwhile others that get multiple (like LSU) theres either 1 guy they really like, or they are trying to watch multiple players and different positions go through drills (like White and Williams at the same time). 

Literally no team sends the house to any pro day. You reserve that for pre-draft visits, which is much more personal. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

How many players can a team invite to their facility?  I would imagine if a team was really interested in someone and had remaining questions, that would be a telltale sign of interest.

I can’t remember the exact number off the top of my head but it’s usually around 30. 

Our tall tell sign is the Art/KC/MT dinner. You see that you know it’s actual interest. 

Just now, jebrick said:

30 players.  Some of the invites are for players that will be UDFA to try and woo them to sign with the Steelers.

Yup.

I remember talking to a scout one time, and he said teams, even if they say "we don't know who we will take", already know who's going where in the draft.  Yes there are the occasional 'shocks' as to seeing a guy go early (Tyson Alualu, Bruce Irving), but for the most part the real work right now is in rounds 3-7 and UDFA.  For those round 1 and 2 guys right now, Tomlin and Colbert knew for about 3 months now who's likely to be there when they pick and the 5-6 guys on the short list.  And it's a matter of putting their own eyes on the guys and interviewing to narrow that down to 1 or 2 guys that they really want to take.