Steeler Pro Day/Visits

AFF

56 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I mean you answered your own question. Multiple pro days happening at the same time. 

Also there’s some staff starting to scout 2020, some is still working on FA, some are working on current player contracts. 

The days we send 1 (like Pitt) there isn’t many guys to evaluate, or they are late round guys. Meanwhile others that get multiple (like LSU) theres either 1 guy they really like, or they are trying to watch multiple players and different positions go through drills (like White and Williams at the same time). 

Literally no team sends the house to any pro day. You reserve that for pre-draft visits, which is much more personal. 

no, i didnt already answer it. i made that statement so anyone else responding  would understand that i already knew there were multiple pro days going on

i already said colbert had  sorta a pass because of contracts

im not sure what is the disadvantage of multiple staff members talking to and evaluating players

im not sure what the advantage is of having your staff stay at home while pro days are going on

i would think if you have the time and resources, you might as well use them to their fullest potential

and once again, i dont care what other teams do, i only care about the steelers

40 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I can’t remember the exact number off the top of my head but it’s usually around 30. 

Our tall tell sign is the Art/KC/MT dinner. You see that you know it’s actual interest. 

plus x amount of local visits. not sure if there is a limit on those, off the top of my head

23 minutes ago, muncher said:

no, i didnt already answer it. i made that statement so anyone else responding  would understand that i already knew there were multiple pro days going on

i already said colbert had  sorta a pass because of contracts

im not sure what is the disadvantage of multiple staff members talking to and evaluating players

im not sure what the advantage is of having your staff stay at home while pro days are going on

i would think if you have the time and resources, you might as well use them to their fullest potential

and once again, i dont care what other teams do, i only care about the steelers

Disadvantages to too much staff; too many opinions, lack of focus in conversation, lack of quality assessment. 

Lets say we sit down with Devon White. The first voices that matter are Art, KC, MT. After that is Butler. Then Jerry O. You literally don’t need any more opinions. Don’t need Bradley, he’s the DB coach not the LB coach. 

The advantage of having some stay back was already laid out. And count in some of these “not sending the house” is due to a travel day. Tomlin goes to OSU, has dinner with a guy, chances of him making it to USC the next day are slim. So likely he goes home for a day to add to the report on a few OSU guys, picks up the pre-reports on the next days trip, starts to study them. 

If you think that these pro days are show up, watch them run around in underwear, go to the next one; you have little understanding of what goes into these trips. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

Disadvantages to too much staff; too many opinions, lack of focus in conversation, lack of quality assessment. 

Lets say we sit down with Devon White. The first voices that matter are Art, KC, MT. After that is Butler. Then Jerry O. You literally don’t need any more opinions. Don’t need Bradley, he’s the DB coach not the LB coach. 

The advantage of having some stay back was already laid out. And count in some of these “not sending the house” is due to a travel day. Tomlin goes to OSU, has dinner with a guy, chances of him making it to USC the next day are slim. So likely he goes home for a day to add to the report on a few OSU guys, picks up the pre-reports on the next days trip, starts to study them. 

If you think that these pro days are show up, watch them run around in underwear, go to the next one; you have little understanding of what goes into these trips. 

some of that may be true/some not  but you cant defend what they do /who they send to evaluate dbs.  that part isnt working and something needs to change

19 minutes ago, jebrick said:

why would Miami be local?  It is local to Cincinnati but not Pittsburgh.  I do not think Ohio U is local.

I think they consider them local to us.  I do know there are a few that overlap between some teams.  Like both Cincy and Cleve get to cal OSU a 'local visit'.  UCF is local to both Tampa and Miami.

8 hours ago, muncher said:

some of that may be true/some not  but you cant defend what they do /who they send to evaluate dbs.  that part isnt working and something needs to change

Watch and sort of media on the teams website this time of year.  And do some teams have instant teleportation and learning through osmosis that the steelers don't?  It's not like I'm telling you what airline they take.  All of that is 100% true.  Teams file and add to reports with every single scouting trip.  Its why they take breaks with some guys at times.If you don't believe that you know less than what I thought of previously.  And given your continual push back so you can complain about something that no one does and make an issue to blame the team for something that is a made up issue.....jeeze.

As far as the DB's, Colbert himself said they need to change what they are looking for in a DB.  Straight up admitted it.

• Like 1

Miami has never been local to Pittsburgh.  It is local to Cincinnati.  Local is generally within 50 miles of the host city.  OSU is not considered local for Pittsburgh. I doubt it is local for Cleveland or Cincinnati.  

If a player grew up in Pittsburgh they can be considered a local visit even if they went to UCLA but that does not mean that UCLA is a local school for the purposes of the 30 visits.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2018/4/5/17198416/explaining-how-the-nfl-permits-some-pre-draft-visits-to-not-count-towards-a-teams-total-steelers

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Watch and sort of media on the teams website this time of year.  And do some teams have instant teleportation and learning through osmosis that the steelers don't?  It's not like I'm telling you what airline they take.  All of that is 100% true.  Teams file and add to reports with every single scouting trip.  Its why they take breaks with some guys at times.If you don't believe that you know less than what I thought of previously.  And given your continual push back so you can complain about something that no one does and make an issue to blame the team for something that is a made up issue.....jeeze.

As far as the DB's, Colbert himself said they need to change what they are looking for in a DB.  Straight up admitted it.

where can i find that information about too many opinions, lack in conversation and lack of quality assessments?

once again, i dont care what other teams do. 

i guaranteed you that if the steelers announced that they are will be increasing their scouting department and attending as many pro days as possible you would applaud them for being proactive, cutting edge, setting themselves apart, and leaving no stone unturned. seeing that they arent, you say that we do what every other team does so thats good enough

I guess I don't understand what the problem is.  The Steelers are historically one of the best at drafting and developing players over the last few decades. There's no question they've had their share of busts, but they've also have had their fair share of HOFers.  

Reading this thread, you'd think we were talking about the Browns for goodness sake.

27 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

I guess I don't understand what the problem is.  The Steelers are historically one of the best at drafting and developing players over the last few decades. There's no question they've had their share of busts, but they've also have had their fair share of HOFers.  

Reading this thread, you'd think we were talking about the Browns for goodness sake.

I just read through every post in this thread, and I dont see anyone even remotely making it out to be like we have been a historically bad drafting team.      In fact, Ive seen very few criticisms in this thread.     One guy who no one takes very seriously is taking shots at the front office, but even his criticisms havent been COMPLETELY invalid....especially in regards to how this teams scouts and drafts DBs....which has been abysmal for years.

The Steelers HISTORICALLY may be one of the best, but if you look over the last decade or so, they have utterly failed in certain areas, especially in the LB corps and secondary.     And their lack of courage to make impact moves has prevented us from finding any real playmakers on defense to replace the ones we have lost.   

The front office is certainly not above reproach for their obvious failures, and I havent seen anything over the top in regards to being unfair about their approach and results in the draft in recent memory.  

4 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I just read through every post in this thread, and I dont see anyone even remotely making it out to be like we have been a historically bad drafting team.      In fact, Ive seen very few criticisms in this thread.     One guy who no one takes very seriously is taking shots at the front office, but even his criticisms havent been COMPLETELY invalid....especially in regards to how this teams scouts and drafts DBs....which has been abysmal for years.

The Steelers HISTORICALLY may be one of the best, but if you look over the last decade or so, they have utterly failed in certain areas, especially in the LB corps and secondary.     And their lack of courage to make impact moves has prevented us from finding any real playmakers on defense to replace the ones we have lost.   

The front office is certainly not above reproach for their obvious failures, and I havent seen anything over the top in regards to being unfair about their approach and results in the draft in recent memory.  

I am not exonerating the Steelers. I'm just saying they don't get enough credit for drafting good players. I am likely focused too much on the later posts in this thread.

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

They have been historically bad with DBs because they have been sticking to the LeBeau CB that worked in 2004.  Sure am glad they can tackle because they can't cover for crap.

Which is why I hope they get Greedy Williams.