Steeler Pro Day/Visits

AFF

6 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

No Tombert at Iowa Pro day...scratch the TEs off day 1.

I actually think that's good news. Because, Bucky Hodges 😁. A better TE can be had day 2 or 3 then can Edge/CB. If many were fine with JJ it doesn't take a 1st Rdr to replace him. If many like Vance's skill set, that can too be had on day 2 or 3. I understand the love for these Iowa guys. I just feel like other positions (especially CB) are more important. 

I think TE is a need, but 4th or 5th round at most. If they take one in the 1st, it is definitely a luxury pick. Sort of like taking Mendenhall and Sweed back in the day.

CB, ILB, S in any order you like. Then, maybe TE or WR if no one is available for EDGE/OLB.

A high TE pick probably plays more than any DB or Edge pick this year...James play 50% of snaps last year.

ILB is debatable but that would probably take worthier picking Bush or White in rd1.

No rookie starting over Haden and Nelson...slight chance of nickel back with them seeming to sour on Hilton late in year. Slight chance of FS over Davis but is there any S besides Chauncey(they didn’t go to his Pro day tho) that could unseat Davis this year.

For year 1 impact, a TE has a solid chance of making the most impact...you guys are buts if you think TE isn’t a big need especially with Vance’s injury history.

1 minute ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

A high TE pick probably plays more than any DB or Edge pick this year...James play 50% of snaps last year.

ILB is debatable but that would probably take worthier picking Bush or White in rd1.

No rookie starting over Haden and Nelson...slight chance of nickel back with them seeming to sour on Hilton late in year. Slight chance of FS over Davis but is there any S besides Chauncey(they didn’t go to his Pro day tho) that could unseat Davis this year.

For year 1 impact, a TE has a solid chance of making the most impact...you guys are buts if you think TE isn’t a big need especially with Vance’s injury history.

TE isn't a Rd. 1 need. Get a JJ in Rd 5 or another Vance in Rd 3 or 4. 

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

TE isn't a Rd. 1 need. Get a JJ in Rd 5 or another Vance in Rd 3 or 4. 

I didn’t say it was the biggest need but overall it’s a upper tier need. Getting locked into needs at certain spots creates Artie Burns situations.

This team needs defensive help no doubt, however the offense is going to drive this team. The defense is gonna give up a decent amount of points regardless of who they pick this year. I think it’s more realistic that the Steelers win games 31-28 rather than 17-14.

Its probably a moot point cause the lack of then going to Iowa’s Pro day, slight chance they go Irv Smith from Bama.

Plus with Tomlin opening stating they’re going to add to the position, I think they realize it’s a decent sized need...I’m wagering they add one by end of rd3.

Overall my thought is trying to have as many weapons for Ben.

17 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I didn’t say it was the biggest need but overall it’s a upper tier need. Getting locked into needs at certain spots creates Artie Burns situations.

This team needs defensive help no doubt, however the offense is going to drive this team. The defense is gonna give up a decent amount of points regardless of who they pick this year. I think it’s more realistic that the Steelers win games 31-28 rather than 17-14.

Its probably a moot point cause the lack of then going to Iowa’s Pro day, slight chance they go Irv Smith from Bama.

Plus with Tomlin opening stating they’re going to add to the position, I think they realize it’s a decent sized need...I’m wagering they add one by end of rd3.

Overall my thought is trying to have as many weapons for Ben.

This sounds a little different then what I thought you were saying, I thought you took issue with those who said TE wasn't a 1st Rd need. I agree with this post. Sternberger (as you prolly know) is my guy. 2nd pick Rd 3 sounds about right for him. I think he's gone by Rd. 4. 

Im pretty heavily against the general idea (not just team specific) of drafting a TE in the first round.

But it is replacing nearly 600 snaps immediately. If that player can be a significant talent, its an immediate producer in terms of snap availability. 

29 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

This sounds a little different then what I thought you were saying, I thought you took issue with those who said TE wasn't a 1st Rd need. I agree with this post. Sternberger (as you prolly know) is my guy. 2nd pick Rd 3 sounds about right for him. I think he's gone by Rd. 4. 

I’d be fine with in 2nd honestly...Colbert went to a lot of Pro Days for rd2-4 type TEs...Sternberger,Mack, Moreau, Mack from ND, Nauta from Georgia...plus they sent a guy to look at Dax Raymond from Utah St and they’ve sent Mark Bruener to SD st for Warring, Bruener ran him their TE workout.

My $$$ right now is Moreau from LSU with one of their 3rds or Sternberger in the 2nd.

Compiled by someone else but for your enjoyment:

Here's where Tombert has appeared so far:

Clemson
Michigan
Bama
ND
WVU
LSU
A&M
Texas

Here are the underaged prospects at those schools:

CB: Julian Love, Trayvon Mullen, Greedy Williams, Saivion Smith
S: Deointe Thompson
LB: Bush, White, Mack Wilson, David Long, Tyrel Dodson
DL: Rashan Gary, Quinnen Williams, Dexter Lawrence, Charles Omenihu
OL: Jonah Williams
TE: Irv Smith
WR: LJ Humphrey
RB: Traveon Williams, Josh Jacobs

Under TJ Watt "normal" age threshold:

EDGE: Austin Bryant, Clelin Ferrell
CB: Mark Fields
LB: Te'Von Coney
DL: Kingsley KeKe, Bert Huggins, Daylon Mack
OL: Erik McCoy, Mitchell Hyatt
TE: Foster Moreau, Alize' Mack
WR: Miles Boykin, Gary Jennings
RB: Dexter Williams, Damien Harris

Unless Tombert makes an appearance at Washington or USC or Stanford, or unless they deviate from their habits... the 1st round pick and possibly 2nd/3rd round picks are on that list.

Archived