Breaking: Earl Thomas to Ravens

textaz03

16 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

I would have liked to have ET just as much as anyone else but the team made the right decision considering how much money ET got.  With Dlaw, Cooper, Dak, Zeke and Smith all coming up on FA over the next 2 years, we will need all the cap space we can get.

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't want Earl.   30 years old.   Wanting to set the market for safeties.   Coming off a season ending injury.   No thanks.  

Just now, plan9misfit said:

You’re playing semantics and you know it.

Not even a little bit. If we were willing to go in that $12-13m/yr range for ET3, then we werent being cheap. We were just outbid. 

Cheap would have not even attempted to get ET3. 

Think of Watkins last year. Offering $14m/yr wasnt cheap. But he was worth more to the Chiefs (thank God). 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Not even a little bit. If we were willing to go in that $12-13m/yr range for ET3, then we werent being cheap. We were just outbid. 

Cheap would have not even attempted to get ET3. 

Think of Watkins last year. Offering $14m/yr wasnt cheap. But he was worth more to the Chiefs (thank God). 

Our reported number was $10M, not $12M. That isn’t being outbid; that’s being cheap. Again, stop playing semantics. No one is buying it. And this is coming from a guy who isn’t a fan of spending big money in free agency. But, at least I’m willing to be honest about the issue.

1 minute ago, plan9misfit said:

Our reported number was $10M, not $12M. That isn’t being outbid; that’s being cheap. Again, stop playing semantics. No one is buying it. And this is coming from a guy who isn’t a fan of spending big money in free agency. But, at least I’m willing to be honest about the issue.

The last reported number was 2yr, $28m fully guaranteed actually. The problem is that he got $13.75/yr with $32m guaranteed. 

So again, not cheap, just outbid. 

This is the "fall off your horse, get right back on" analogy for Dallas except Dallas doesn't get back on ever again. They got burned with some over pays in the past and are now afraid to even consider a "strong bid" for a true talent. 

All year long I penciled in ET because I thought it made great sense for both sides. I also thought ET "could have" helped get Dallas' defense to another level by being a first in a long time play-maker for our secondary.

This offseason really is nothing more than a perpetual replay of the last few years. 

16 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The last reported number was 2yr, $28m fully guaranteed actually. The problem is that he got $13.75/yr with $32m guaranteed. 

So again, not cheap, just outbid. 

Keep in mind this cheapness is a double edged sword. It was still a dumb decision to pay what we did for Cooper that just happened to be a winning scratch off ticket for us. The reason why we freaked out and made that deal is because our season was on the brink and we had not made any plans for what happened after Dez and we were too cheap to replace him. Same with Murray and it goes back into being too cautious. We have traded one extreme for another and we have not found that right balance of knowing when to draft and knowing when to spend.

6 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Dez and we were too cheap to replace him. Same with Murray and it goes back into being too cautious.

1. This is wrong. We offered $14m/yr to replace him. We werent cheap, just outbid.

2. Questionable. On a per snap basis Run DMC was just as good as Murray. And did it with way less talent around him. The problem there was Garrett and the offensive staff screwed up by wasting 6 games on Randell. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

1. This is wrong. We offered $14m/yr to replace him. We werent cheap, just outbid.

2. Questionable. On a per snap basis Run DMC was just as good as Murray. And did it with way less talent around him. The problem there was Garrett and the offensive staff screwed up by wasting 6 games on Randell. 

1. Funny how we are consistently outbid when we are not cheap. I would think us rarely closing a deal while being outbid is because we're cheap and not willing to up our prices. Cheap is a mindset, not a number.

2. DMC was never just as good as Murray, most of his stats were garbage time stats, now that could have changed with a better QB out there but that falls on our FO. But we were a run first team from 2014 onward mainly. Our success goes through the run game and we made no real impact there. I don't care how many running yards we got.

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

1. Funny how we are consistently outbid when we are not cheap. I would think us rarely closing a deal while being outbid is because we're cheap and not willing to up our prices. Cheap is a mindset, not a number.

2. DMC was never just as good as Murray, most of his stats were garbage time stats, now that could have changed with a better QB out there but that falls on our FO. But we were a run first team from 2014 onward mainly. Our success goes through the run game and we made no real impact there. I don't care how many running yards we got.

This. 100% THIS.

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Maybe I define cheap differently than you and @plan9misfit

If a guy goes out and shops for a Ferrari, but puts a spending limit at $500k, he isnt being cheap. He is willing to spend big bucks up to a certain limit. 

Conversely, if you are Alfred Morris and have millions in your bank account, but drive a 1992 toyota that breaks down all the time... You are cheap. 

Being cheap =/= making prudent financial decisions. 

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

If a guy goes out and shops for a Ferrari, but puts a spending limit at $500k, he isnt being cheap. He is willing to spend big bucks up to a certain limit. 

Conversely, if you are Alfred Morris and have millions in your bank account, but drive a 1992 toyota that breaks down all the time... You are cheap. 

I see your point. However, one doesn’t go into a Ferrari dealership, see a car with a $750k pricetag and expect to pay $500k for it. That’s not being honest. That’s being cheap, especially when the market for that car has already established what the price is to buy it. For the most part (save the Sammy Watkins offer from last year), that’s been the m.o. these past number of years. We’re making contract offers based on values from 2 seasons prior. That’s either being cheap, arrogant, or living with a massive case of cognitive dissonance. In our case, I think it’s all three.

Again, I’m all for being frugal and smart with free agent money because free agents often prove to be wasted spending, but we typically don’t come close to what the market is demanding. We undervalue players and then offer money below that number. That ain’t frugal. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

If you're willing to spend 500K you are definitely getting a Ferrari.

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Sure knowing when to walk away is prudent and not to overspend. But walking away all the time because you want a Ferrari at 250K when the dealer is saying the price tag is 350K is being cheap. A masterpiece of that caliber is going to cost, if you're being prudent then you are knowing full well that a Ferrari has a bottom line that they are not willing to negotiate at. Thus willing to spend 350K and not over spend at 400K for options would be prudent. But intentionally lowballing and hoping something sticks is infact being cheap.

6 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

If you're willing to spend 500K you are definitely getting a Ferrari.

Sure knowing when to walk away is prudent and not to overspend. But walking away all the time because you want a Ferrari at 250K when the dealer is saying the price tag is 350K is being cheap. A masterpiece of that caliber is going to cost, if you're being prudent then you are knowing full well that a Ferrari has a bottom line that they are not willing to negotiate at. Thus willing to spend 350K and not over spend at 400K for options would be prudent. But intentionally lowballing and hoping something sticks is infact being cheap.

You and I literally said the same thing in back-to-back posts.

Archived