Breaking: Earl Thomas to Ravens

textaz03

16 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

That means that his cap hit is $16m+ on 2 of those years. With cap rollover, it doesnt really matter. He basically tied the 2 other safeties that made $14m/yr (his is $13.75m). It feels like during the season everyone wanted him at $10 or less, so this is a 37% increase. That said, I would give him this contract in a heartbeat and never think twice. Missing out on ET3 is really really annoying. 

There is still hope that ET3 hasnt signed. So far its in slightly higher than rumor phase. Apparently the Ravens also inked L Bell.... until he actually signed with the Jets. 

During the season we weren't really talking numbers. Just picks, and we new we had to "sign him later." Most wanted him for the Connor Williams pick. So I assume most would be willing to make this deal with no 2nd round pick involved. 

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

During the season we weren't really talking numbers. Just picks, and we new we had to "sign him later." Most wanted him for the Connor Williams pick. So I assume most would be willing to make this deal with no 2nd round pick involved. 

Nah. Everyone was talking his contract. Almost everyone anyways. The people against the trade often referenced how he would need a contract that matched Berry ($13m/yr) and that it was way to expensive. He had too many injuries and safeties werent worth the investment. 

Others who were for the trade (me) thought it would transform our defense. That he would be our best player on defense and is easily worth the highest paid safety. And possibly, he might give us a slight discount.

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Nah. Everyone was talking his contract. Almost everyone anyways. The people against the trade often referenced how he would need a contract that matched Berry ($13m/yr) and that it was way to expensive. He had too many injuries and safeties werent worth the investment. 

Others who were for the trade (me) thought it would transform our defense. That he would be our best player on defense and is easily worth the highest paid safety. And possibly, he might give us a slight discount.

I wonder what we offered. Or if we offered.

1 minute ago, textaz03 said:

Knowing our front office and the contracts they been offering this year, probably more along the lines of “Offending” than “offering”

Ehh, the pendulum is swinging too far the other way. Cole Beasely wasnt worth what he signed. We offered him a contract based on his value. The Bills decided to over pay by a large amount. 

Same thing happened with Jeremy Parnell. We offered him a fair contract, the Jag's screwed up. Same with Hitchens. 

But I agree with Plan9 - - Why the hell did we make that offer to Sammy Watkins? 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Ehh, the pendulum is swinging too far the other way. Cole Beasely wasnt worth what he signed. We offered him a contract based on his value. The Bills decided to over pay by a large amount. 

Same thing happened with Jeremy Parnell. We offered him a fair contract, the Jag's screwed up. Same with Hitchens. 

But I agree with Plan9 - - Why the hell did we make that offer to Sammy Watkins? 

Problem is, that’s gonna happen every single year with annual CAP increases. 

Just now, textaz03 said:

Problem is, that’s gonna happen every single year with annual CAP increases. 

And we would be smart not to pay players like Cole, Hitchens and Parnell. 

Its not really fair to the team to talk ish when they made the right choices. Not overpaying mediocre talent is the right choice. 

14 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Let’s not forget that we offered Sammie freaking Watkins something like $14M a year.

This. This right here is what bothers me when people talk about the front office wanting to be conservative.

They can offer an injury-prone so-so receiver like Watkins $14MM but not a future Hall of Fame safety? 

12 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Let’s not forget that we offered Sammie freaking Watkins something like $14M a year.

Like I said, they aren't as deliberately dormant as they seem. They have been out bid in the past by teams with more space, and then said sour grapes, we don't do FA blah blah blah.

This year they have some space but they also happen to have a ton of in house contracts to sign. The fact that they can't make a deal outside of the organization this year tells me that Dak, Amari, Byron, and Jaylon are about to make a killing. Hopefully Lawrence gets his. Idk why they are waiting.

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

And we would be smart not to pay players like Cole, Hitchens and Parnell. 

Its not really fair to the team to talk ish when they made the right choices. Not overpaying mediocre talent is the right choice. 

We are talking about Earl Thomas though.

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Like I said, they aren't as deliberately dormant as they seem. They have been out bid in the past by teams with more space, and then said sour grapes, we don't do FA blah blah blah.

This year they have some space but they also happen to have a ton of in house contracts to sign. The fact that they can't make a deal outside of the organization this year tells me that Dak, Amari, Byron, and Jaylon are about to make a killing. Hopefully Lawrence gets his. Idk why they are waiting.

To point 1, I think thats the same thing. They will offer a guy up to a certain contract, but if they get outbid - - "oh well, we stuck to our guns" - - tends to be the attitude. 

To point 2, one would hope they are waiting because they are attempting to get the price down. As more and more players get under that $20m/yr mark, perhaps we can negotiate his price down. 

Just now, DaBoys said:

We are talking about Earl Thomas though.

It was in reference to his offend post. Which my understanding is in reference to Cole Beasely. So it was a bit of a tangent where he was attempting to compare our offer to Cole in the same light as ET3. 

My whole point is we shouldnt hold Cole/Hitchens/Parnell over their head. Those were great choices. This ET3 situation is more open to scrutiny. 

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

To point 1, I think thats the same thing. They will offer a guy up to a certain contract, but if they get outbid - - "oh well, we stuck to our guns" - - tends to be the attitude. 

They tell the media that they aren't active in FA, but offering $14m to Sammy Watkins proves they are. 

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

To point 2, one would hope they are waiting because they are attempting to get the price down. As more and more players get under that $20m/yr mark, perhaps we can negotiate his price down. 

Not a bad idea, as long as he is tagged. Drive the price down a little, and make him sweat. As long as he is doing everything he is supposed to health wise while we are waiting him out.

Archived