Breaking: Earl Thomas to Ravens

textaz03

I would have welcomed Thomas with open arms but for that type of money they can have him. 2 broken legs in the last few years. Hitting 30 as well. He’s talented and probably wouldn’t have traded the second in a heart beat for him but seeing the cash he got I’m glad we didn’t get stupid and went all in on him. 

12 hours ago, TheBeast23 said:

I would have welcomed Thomas with open arms but for that type of money they can have him. 2 broken legs in the last few years. Hitting 30 as well. He’s talented and probably wouldn’t have traded the second in a heart beat for him but seeing the cash he got I’m glad we didn’t get stupid and went all in on him. 

Their is certainly logic in this statement, but sometimes getting a player of ET's caliper can "glue' a defense in a way that can easily justify what appears to be an over pay. Certainly a gamble, and it could go either way, but a gamble I was hoping Dallas would make.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:48 AM, resilient part 2 said:

Their is certainly logic in this statement, but sometimes getting a player of ET's caliper can "glue' a defense in a way that can easily justify what appears to be an over pay. Certainly a gamble, and it could go either way, but a gamble I was hoping Dallas would make.

Yes a player of his caliber can change a defense. A gamble I would have been all in about if he was 5 years younger or hit FA in his prime. He is still very talented and doesn’t seem as though he’s slowed down any. But entering at 30 years old with a 4 year contract at huge dollars isn’t logical for us. We don’t have the flexibility as other teams do cap wise and to over spend for a player that won’t be elite through the length of that contract is not a smart football decision for us. One of many decisions we have already made in the past to get us where we are today. I love ET coming out. Loved ET during his career but it just wouldn’t be wise for us to make that signing especially when considering all of our home grown players we need under contract as well. Good choice to pass and trust our scouts and take one in the draft.

41 minutes ago, TheBeast23 said:

Yes a player of his caliber can change a defense. A gamble I would have been all in about if he was 5 years younger or hit FA in his prime. He is still very talented and doesn’t seem as though he’s slowed down any. But entering at 30 years old with a 4 year contract at huge dollars isn’t logical for us. We don’t have the flexibility as other teams do cap wise and to over spend for a player that won’t be elite through the length of that contract is not a smart football decision for us. One of many decisions we have already made in the past to get us where we are today. I love ET coming out. Loved ET during his career but it just wouldn’t be wise for us to make that signing especially when considering all of our home grown players we need under contract as well. Good choice to pass and trust our scouts and take one in the draft.

Great safeties regularly play until their mid 30's at an all pro level. I think his age is overstated. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Great safeties regularly play until their mid 30's at an all pro level. I think his age is overstated. 

I don’t know. Personally just think drafting one is the way to go when we don’t have flexibility for this year and next few years.

Archived