Ravens Sign Earl Thomas

M.10.E

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Relevant considering how much secondary success they've had.

Exact opposite of our situation too. Our CBs bailed our safeties out last year, big time. This move makes us so strong. If only we could ditch Tony Jefferson. I want Chuck Clark to start sooo bad.

Nice work in the Gen thread BTW. You seem to get everyone going in every thread I look at lol.

Just now, DreamKid said:

Exact opposite of our situation too. Our CBs bailed our safeties out last year, big time. This move makes us so strong. If only we could ditch Tony Jefferson. I want Chuck Clark to start sooo bad.

Nice work in the Gen thread BTW. You seem to get everyone going in every thread I look at lol.

I actually think TJ in a true SS role is the best possible fit for him and should allow him to flourish. If not, we have Chuck and Elliott there to replace him the year after.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I actually think TJ in a true SS role is the best possible fit for him and should allow him to flourish. If not, we have Chuck and Elliott there to replace him the year after.

Yea, if having the best FS in the NFL can't get us to play Jefferson properly- nothing will.

• Like 2

Okay. I wasn't really on the Earl Thomas bandwagon before, but after seeing the amount of cap space the Ravens were going to have coming up (even considering the low amount of contracts on the books) I'm not worried about the price. It's not a terrible deal anyways, at least not for a playmaker the likes of Thomas. Simply put, he changes things on the field. I don't mind the team shelling out for that even with the loss of a 2020 pick in the late 90s range. It's worth it.

With the loss of Weddle, Mosley, Suggs, and Smith and replacing them with Thomas, Young/Onwuasor, Williams, and Bowser it's a mind-boggling upgrade in terms of athleticism and range. Another edge guy probably needs to be added for depth but if that group pans out... oh my.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

With the loss of Weddle, Mosley, Suggs, and Smith and replacing them with Thomas, Young/Onwuasor, Williams, and Bowser it's a mind-boggling upgrade in terms of athleticism and range.

With Thomas, we not only secure our back end but also add a play making element. And we get to play Jefferson properly which improves our coverage security even more.

Young and Bowser both can actually cover Tight Ends and HBs. One of our biggest weaknesses from the past couple years.

Then you factor in the overall speed bump which will help us stop these run around QBs like Mahomes and Mayfield.

I LOVE it. 

Bowser should also be the immediate heir to Suggs position with Tim Williams in rotation. It will be interesting if we chase another outside linebacker in free agency or address that position in the draft. We are suddenly thin at that position.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/13/earl-thomas-gets-32-million-fully-guaranteed-at-signing/

1. Signing bonus: $20 million.

2. 2019 base salary: $2 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2020 base salary: $10 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2021 base salary: $11 million.

5. 2022 base salary: $12 million.

So the cap hits should end up like this: $7 million, $15 million, $16 million, $17 million