When your Team Does Badly.

MIKEWISNER

Doesn't it just get annoying?

In my case The Bears haven't had a Superbowl Victory in more than 30 years and you get teams like Detroit who have yet to have one or Dallas which has had many but it's been 20 years since they won the big one.

43 minutes ago, MIKEWISNER said:

Doesn't it just get annoying?

In my case The Bears haven't had a Superbowl Victory in more than 30 years and you get teams like Detroit who have yet to have one or Dallas which has had many but it's been 20 years since they won the big one.

Basically life as a Vikings fan. You just get used to it and you know you'll be heartbroken.

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

I feel like this is the number one reason fans stop caring

Combine that with the penalties, the commercials, it just gets old. 

I don't see your last 2 statements have any impact on watching games.

If players do something wrong then those refs have every right to call them and do you honestly expect to watch a game without commercials?

You'll probably get a a much more vivid answer to your question around the time of the playoffs, right up through the Super Bowl..... or several answers, really.

Life In The Raw: every year  you get to see and read wild howls of despair from the fanboys when Chosen Team fails once again, dashing the high hopes of July in December.  They threaten to never watch football again; hang themselves from the rafters in their parents' garage; join the Peace Corps and move to Ethiopia;  or maybe start following the WNBA instead.......

They're usually back before the draft, still shaken from the catastrophe but willing to try again.

Such is the hold of NFL football.

Honestly, it doesn't inherently bother me when the Chiefs do poorly. For me it's more a matter of how they do relative to my expectations. When the Chiefs had three years going 4-12, 2-14, and 4-12, it didn't really bother me. I was expecting that. I'd rather them have done well those years, sure, but what else was really going to happen? It's like going to the Emoji Movie and being upset that it wasn't good. You knew what you were choosing to watch.

The seasons that actually upset me are the surprisingly disappointing ones. Or the near misses. 2012 we had a ton of guys coming back from injury, a new coach that had given the team a spark late in the prior year, and then Matt Cassel reminded us all he didn't deserve to play football and we went 2-14. In 2003 we went 13-3 and followed it up with a season where Priest Holmes got hurt, Mike Maslowski retired, and we lost 7 one score games in a 7-9 season. Those are the kinds of years that actually annoy me.

When it's perennial suckage, honestly, I just find other things to pay attention to. The rookie that might turn the team around. That one star that plays like a beast despite no one else caring. Predicting who is going to get fired. That stuff can all still be fun when I know the whole package is going to suck anyways. I spent like 2 or 3 years charting every coverage snap of Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr because that was worth watching.

Archived