Jump to content
RSkinGM

Zach Brown Released .

Recommended Posts

Just now, turtle28 said:

They took a gamble that getting Haha and teaming him up with Swearinger would be awesome for the defensive secondary. It didn't work out, nothing is going to bring the 4th round pick back. I don't know any you’d be that hung up about it.

It's a waste of a pick to burn it on a half-year rental.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Woz said:

It's a waste of a pick to burn it on a half-year rental.

Yes, in hindsight it was, but at the time we traded for him we were winning the division and had an issue at the safety spot next to DJ. When we made the trade it was also before Alex broke his leg and around when Crowder & CT were coming back off their injuries.

If we had a crystal ball and could’ve predicted Alex breaking his leg then they probably don't make the trade.

Obviously, they were hoping that they'd win the division and make the playoffs with Alex. Then, they’d be able to re-sign Haha if he had played well down the stretch for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, If you like him that much , you work out the extension BEFORE the trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Yes, If you like him that much , you work out the extension BEFORE the trade. 

Takes two to tango and I don't agree with that anyways. A player has to prove he's worth an extension, it shouldn't just be given to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Takes two to tango and I don't agree with that anyways. A player has to prove he's worth an extension, it shouldn't just be given to them.

They had 4 years of film from Green Bay !!! Theye liked enough to blow a 4th round pick. Sign up front or fagitabodit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

They had 4 years of film from Green Bay !!! Theye liked enough to blow a 4th round pick. Sign up front or fagitabodit.

In hindsight the thing to do was to not make the trade, that much is obvious.

Again, it's easy to say they should’ve signed him w/o actually knowing that he wanted to re-sign and not become a free agent.

There's just so many variables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Yes, If you like him that much , you work out the extension BEFORE the trade. 

Wouldn’t that have been definitely worse in this instance, trading the 4th round pick and locking ourselves in to a contract extension for a player we ended up not really even wanting to keep?

I don’t think any team that acquired a player at or around the trade deadline last year had an extension worked out with them. That includes a number of guys who were pending FAs, like Golden Tate (PHI gave up a 3rd) and Dante Fowler (LAR gave up 3rd and 2020 5th). It also includes Amari Cooper (DAL gave up a 1st) and Demaryius Thomas (HOU gave up 3rd), who both had only a monstrous last year of their contract left. 

It’s never a bad idea to hedge your bets when it comes to acquiring a player from another team and plugging them into your scheme and locker room. If Clinton-Dix had played well and they had really wanted to keep him, they could have — through the franchise tag, if nothing else. But they gave themselves the opportunity to get out with no harm done if it didn’t go well, which it didn’t, and they picked up a little parting gift on top of it. 

It was a failed trade. But not because they didn’t extend him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, e16bball said:

Wouldn’t that have been definitely worse in this instance, trading the 4th round pick and locking ourselves in to a contract extension for a player we ended up not really even wanting to keep?

I don’t think any team that acquired a player at or around the trade deadline last year had an extension worked out with them. That includes a number of guys who were pending FAs, like Golden Tate (PHI gave up a 3rd) and Dante Fowler (LAR gave up 3rd and 2020 5th). It also includes Amari Cooper (DAL gave up a 1st) and Demaryius Thomas (HOU gave up 3rd), who both had only a monstrous last year of their contract left. 

It’s never a bad idea to hedge your bets when it comes to acquiring a player from another team and plugging them into your scheme and locker room. If Clinton-Dix had played well and they had really wanted to keep him, they could have — through the franchise tag, if nothing else. But they gave themselves the opportunity to get out with no harm done if it didn’t go well, which it didn’t, and they picked up a little parting gift on top of it. 

It was a failed trade. But not because they didn’t extend him. 

My problem is we saw him for half a season and he didn’t even get an off-season to learn our playbook.  Considering he got a very mediocre contract and the pick we gave up for him we should have resigned him and given him a chance imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

My problem is we saw him for half a season and he didn’t even get an off-season to learn our playbook.  Considering he got a very mediocre contract and the pick we gave up for him we should have resigned him and given him a chance imo.

Say he turned our offer down to go play for the Bears, how is that the front office fault? Also why are you tryna lock HaHa down long term? Just because you traded for him mid-season? This dude can't tackle!!! 

Edited by Skins212689

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Say he turned our offer down to go play for the Bears, how is that the front office fault? Also why are you tryna lock HaHa down long term? Just because you traded for him mid-season? This dude can't tackle!!! 

Yeah, he took a one year "prove it" deal with a playoff contender, and he'll be playing next to Eddie Jackson.  Sometimes the place is worth more than the money, which was likely the case here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, he took a one year "prove it" deal with a playoff contender, and he'll be playing next to Eddie Jackson.  Sometimes the place is worth more than the money, which was likely the case here.  

He wasn't getting a long term deal here nor elsewhere is my point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We gave up nothing to get Ruben Foster. If it doesn’t work out, big deal. 

Oh boy, you're pretty short-sighted if you don't think we gave up nothing to get Reuben Foster.  

Dan Snyder burned what little capital he had left with the league office and "future" executives.  He spent 18 months pursuing Brian Lafemina for a job, gave it to him and then let him do restructuring to bring in his people.  Let him implement his own program and even get rid of the ubiquitous waiting list for season tickets.  

Yet the penultimate clash occurred when we claimed Reuben Foster.  Lafemina goes to Snyder and Allen and says that we have corporate sponsors who have suites are upset with the look of the transaction.  Snyder and Allen brush it off, and eventually leads to Lafemina's firing, after they found out he was planning to quit.  

So yes, it has a cost.  

1.) What legitimate executive is going to come here and work for Snyder and Allen knowing that happened?  It's going to take a while to repair the damage done from that.  At this point if/when Allen is finally fired, the likely replacement is someone from the bottom of the barrel in the same mold as Allen and Cerrato.

2.) There are likely some corporate sponsors who pulled their contracts and/or suites, costing the Redskins money 

3.) There are also some fans who cancelled their season tickets because of that move, and related to the continued dysfunction (which was the result of said move.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

He wasn't getting a long term deal here nor elsewhere is my point. 

But he likely took a cheaper dollar amount to go to the contender.  The Bears were a blocked FG away from the second round of the playoffs, more than we can say under the Allen regime.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

But he likely took a cheaper dollar amount to go to the contender.  The Bears were a blocked FG away from the second round of the playoffs, more than we can say under the Allen regime.  

Thats his choice, the Skins have nothing to do with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, e16bball said:

Wouldn’t that have been definitely worse in this instance, trading the 4th round pick and locking ourselves in to a contract extension for a player we ended up not really even wanting to keep?

I don’t think any team that acquired a player at or around the trade deadline last year had an extension worked out with them. That includes a number of guys who were pending FAs, like Golden Tate (PHI gave up a 3rd) and Dante Fowler (LAR gave up 3rd and 2020 5th). It also includes Amari Cooper (DAL gave up a 1st) and Demaryius Thomas (HOU gave up 3rd), who both had only a monstrous last year of their contract left. 

It’s never a bad idea to hedge your bets when it comes to acquiring a player from another team and plugging them into your scheme and locker room. If Clinton-Dix had played well and they had really wanted to keep him, they could have — through the franchise tag, if nothing else. But they gave themselves the opportunity to get out with no harm done if it didn’t go well, which it didn’t, and they picked up a little parting gift on top of it. 

It was a failed trade. But not because they didn’t extend him. 

Obviously 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×