Mauga Out, Ragland In

Jakuvious

I'm a little surprised Mauga was the odd man out, with Smith, March, and Eligwe all still on roster, but I suppose if Mauga isn't going to beat Wilson for the starting job, his value is much lower given his age and injury history.

I'm pleased with the acquisition of Ragland. Everything I've heard about Ragland in Buffalo has been issues of scheme fit and him just not meshing with what the new regime wants to do on defense. But he was a 2nd round pick, consensus All-American, and something of a prototypical 3-4 thumper coming out of Alabama, something that we really haven't ever properly had since we went 3-4. Belcher was maybe the closest, but he never really grew into the role. I doubt Ragland would see much time this year, given the late date of the acquisition and the fact that I'm personally quite fond of Wilson. But he could still be a valuable role player pretty quickly, would make for solid depth if we see a repeat of last year's injuries at ILB, and he'll be an interesting developmental piece as a potential complement to Wilson in a post-DJ LB unit. I wouldn't mind seeing a future depth chart of Wilson as the DJ heir, Ragland as a two down base defense contributor, with Eligwe and March as depth.

But then I also know I'm higher on Wilson than some. So, thoughts?

This trade makes my day! Ragland was a prospect I really liked coming out. He takes excellent angles, isn't afraid to mix it up with big boys and is versatile enough to be a factor in coverage. Not trying to get overly excited but i really feel he will be our QB on D before long.

I think we got very fortunate the Bills switched schemes, excellent trade!

I'm not sure I get the logic unless I assume the unthinkable (dumping the 2017 season).

Quote from the KCStar:
“Sometimes my knee feels good, sometimes it’s sore,” Ragland told reporters recently. “I just know I have to keep getting better. I know I'm young and I still have time, so I'm not pressed about some of the things, but I know I still have to keep getting better.”

Ok, obvious health issues right now. A 2019 fourth round pick for a 2016 second round selection?
So that's when they see value - anything before is a plus.

This looks like skipping on the now, working on the future. And that's not good news for Alex or the 2017 season.
On a bright note: They may be using their tools on working for Mahomes.

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

This trade makes my day! Ragland was a prospect I really liked coming out. He takes excellent angles, isn't afraid to mix it up with big boys and is versatile enough to be a factor in coverage. Not trying to get overly excited but i really feel he will be our QB on D before long.

I think we got very fortunate the Bills switched schemes, excellent trade!

What makes you like him in coverage?  Sway me...

I don't hate the trade, but always felt he was JAG.  

1 hour ago, samsel23 said:

What makes you like him in coverage?  Sway me...

I don't hate the trade, but always felt he was JAG.  

I guess I worded that poorly but the guy had (I think) 8 or so passes defended his last year at Bama and, without looking, had a few ints. I just thought he's getting sold short considering he's been able to find the ball in the air. He's not a once a generation talent but his instincts n guts are top notch imo. This dude was, by many, suppose to be an easy 1st rounder til that report came out that he has a large aorta and he fell although they said it'll have no effect on him as far as playing.

I'm super stoked about this trade.

Word on Ragland is that he can play some zone but lacks man-coverage skills. Ragland could be a two down player. Still, if his instincts are as good as I remember then he'll be an asset. Wilson is not instinctive at all. 

Prior to the draft, I thought he was over-valued, like many Alabama defenders. He went at #41, which was about where he was pegged. I thought he was more late 2nd/early 3rd. If his injuries are sufficiently healed, he's a steal. If nothing else, we got a lot younger.

J

8 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

I'm not sure I get the logic unless I assume the unthinkable (dumping the 2017 season).

Quote from the KCStar:
“Sometimes my knee feels good, sometimes it’s sore,” Ragland told reporters recently. “I just know I have to keep getting better. I know I'm young and I still have time, so I'm not pressed about some of the things, but I know I still have to keep getting better.”

Ok, obvious health issues right now. A 2019 fourth round pick for a 2016 second round selection?
So that's when they see value - anything before is a plus.

This looks like skipping on the now, working on the future. And that's not good news for Alex or the 2017 season.
On a bright note: They may be using their tools on working for Mahomes.

No offense, but what on earth are you talking about here? How would trading a pick 2 years down the road for a roster acquisition now be prioritizing the future? We're trading a future player for a now player. That's absolutely emphasizing the present. Even if we view him as a developmental piece, that still has him impacting the roster earlier than a 2019 4th round pick would.

Wilson is our starting SILB now so I don't see how he and Ragland would be playing together in the future.

Both are awful in coverage, but can attack the LOS well(Wilson has really become good at this, and is probably better at coverage then Ragland) Ragland at his best is a wrecking ball against the run. Both guys aren't quick enough to run at weakside.

I think Eligwe is likely our replacement for DJ, him or KPL, at WILB. Probably not till 2018 at the earliest.

March is looking like the odd man out. I've heard nothing impressive about him so far and he's playing late in preseason games with minimal impact.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/8/29/16217342/reggie-ragland-mini-review-what-can-the-chiefs-expect-from-their-new-lb#comments

small sample size but he's got some good traits. Not a pursuit guy though...

15 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

No offense, but what on earth are you talking about here? How would trading a pick 2 years down the road for a roster acquisition now be prioritizing the future? We're trading a future player for a now player. That's absolutely emphasizing the present. Even if we view him as a developmental piece, that still has him impacting the roster earlier than a 2019 4th round pick would.

Two things:

Why does BUF give up on a 2016 2nd round pick now? Because he doesn't have value for them right now due to injury issues as confirmed by Ragland himself. He may need another year to get healthy. That's why I see him not as a 2017 player, but one who may have to make his impact in 2018.

The pick traded is conditional. Noone outside Arrowhead Drive, NFL HQ and NFLPA knows about the conditions - but I would assume they are related to health AND performance. And the timing of the pick tells me it may take more than the 2017 season to evaluate. 

So .. both arguments point towards a long term perspective ...

• 2 months later...

Archived