Raiders sign Tyrell Williams

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, daineraider said:

We gave him a lot more than I was hoping, but just like all the other deals we have done this offseason it’s essentially a two year deal.  I don’t hate giving Williams a decent contract but that’s a ton of money locked up in WRs when our D needs the most help.  I’m guessing our draft will be about 80-90% defense.

His main problem is his inconsistency. Even though 2016 was his best year statistically, he did a much better job of running routes and using his length to high point the ball compared to previous years. With that being said, he also completely disappeared in the 2nd half of the season. Some time after the Titans game.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm surprised no one offered more. He's big, tall, fast, and young. Plus he has decent production as a non-primary target.

I am not. 

Tyrell is a good receiver and going to Oakland to be the number 2 to AB is ideal for him. But football twitter was hyping him up as a number one guy and that just isn't the case. His route running is inconsistent and he is not great at making contested catches (it is a big reason why the Chargers drafted Mike Williams).  He is also very streaky, he will have 2-3 games where he looks like Randy Moss and then will be MIA for the next 4. 

That isn't a guy you break the bank for. 

1 minute ago, game3525 said:

I am not. 

Tyrell is a good receiver and going to Oakland to be the number 2 to AB is ideal for him. But football twitter was hyping him up as a number one guy and that just isn't the case. His route running is inconsistent and he is not great at making contested catches (it is a big reason why the Chargers drafted Mike Williams).  He is also very streaky, he will have 2-3 games where he looks like Randy Moss and then will be MIA for the next 4. 

I don't disagree. He's not a #1 and that's obvious. But we've seen more egregious overpays for receivers inferior to Williams. Watkins got 16 and it's hard to definitively say he's better than Williams.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't disagree. He's not a #1 and that's obvious. But we've seen more egregious overpays for receivers inferior to Williams. Watkins got 16 and it's hard to definitively say he's better than Williams.

True. But Watkins is more highly regarded around the league then Tyrell.  I am with you, I would rather have Tyrell for 11 million then Sammy for 16. But NFL teams are suckers for talented former first round picks.  

9 minutes ago, game3525 said:

I am not. 

I think that's more due to our approach than anything. Even Keenan goes MIA for stretches because we simply don't feed him the ball, due to our game to game approach.

1 minute ago, kramxel said:

I think that's more due to our approach than anything. Even Keenan goes MIA for stretches because we simply don't feed him the ball, due to our game to game approach.

To some degree, but even in 16 when we were really pass heavy and Tyrell was "the guy" with Keenan out, there were still games where he was MIA. 

12 hours ago, game3525 said:

I am not. 

For a second there, I thought you were talking about Amari Cooper..... :D

...true story tho

Archived