Bears sign Ted Larsen

beardown3231

8 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

He was absolutely terrible.  We better hope he doesn't see much play time.

This was guy who constantly disrupted camp with fights and then couldn't block anybody when he got in games?

Head scratcher.  

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This was guy who constantly disrupted camp with fights and then couldn't block anybody when he got in games?

Head scratcher.  

That's the one! I had the exact same immediate thought when I saw that he was a Bear again.

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

He was absolutely terrible.  We better hope he doesn't see much play time.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Head scratcher.  

He was awful? Really? Huh. I'm remembering things differently, I guess. 

15 hours ago, soulman said:

Of course and mostly because what we do with Howard isn't a priority right now.  Pace can deal with that when it cycles to the top of his to do list.

Unless someone makes him an offer he can't turn down today or tomorrow or next week it's not a higher priority than needs other than RB.

The biggest difference in our opinions is you see moving on from him at all cost as an imperative while I see it as just one option Pace has and he likes options.

To me it's like a couple of guitars I own.  If I got the right offer I'd sell them now.  But if not I hold onto them until something else comes along to replace them.  Patience and not being forced to sell quickly to raise cash will assure that I get my price.  I'm a patient buyer and a patient seller.

Why should Pace appear to be forced into a deal for Howard that isn't to his advantage when he can wait for a deal that is?

In some instances you have to act quickly as he did with Mack yet with others you can let the deals come to you.  We both understand that and right now it seems like Pace is being patient and letting deals come to him.

The true difference isn’t that I see Howard being gone as imperative - it’s just the only option of those available that makes sense to me because I don’t think that an advantageous deal for Howard exists since I don’t think his present skill set is one with any trade value. I think the market is flush with RBs who do well the same things he does and won’t require trade compensation. We don’t agree though which is long since established and agreed upon, and there are plenty of GMs out there who may see Howard as you do (I mean, Elway said Flacco is still in his prime 🤦‍♂️), and this thread is about Larsen anyway. 

With the Larsen deal being a minimal signing bonus with a base < $1M he’s basically an experienced camp body who if forced into duty in the fall at least may have some pre-existing chemistry with those guys who would be around him. I’d have rather had Kush tbh but that they went out and added Witzmann last year and started him pretty much right away made it pretty clear the team doesn’t see it that way. 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

With the Larsen deal being a minimal signing bonus with a base < $1M he’s basically an experienced camp body who if forced into duty in the fall at least may have some pre-existing chemistry with those guys who would be around him. I’d have rather had Kush tbh but that they went out and added Witzmann last year and started him pretty much right away made it pretty clear the team doesn’t see it that way. 

Yep, I'm guessing Larsen is on a vet mini deal that costs us about $550k of cap once he makes the final cut, IF he makes the final cut.  Kush replaced Larsen two years ago and now Larsen replaces Kush.  LOL  Maybe Kush wouldn't take a vet mini deal.  Anyway, Cleveland signed him.

Gotta have a backup vet OC at least for now and as I recall he's played much better at OC than OG.  Pace is just filling a low end roster spot cheap.

Archived