Chiefs cut Eric Berry

49erurtaza

Berry fits the character profile - upstanding individual, had some really tough situations he was able to overcome - but I think Tashaun Gipson and Justin Reid have the inside track to the starting jobs. 

I would love to bring him in, I just wonder how he'd work in our rotation.

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

His best bet is to probably take a prove deal given his extensive injuries. 

Also, as a 49er fan, can't say I hate the timing of this. A lot of the premier safeties are off the market, and apparently Ha-Ha wants to go back to Washington. That leaves only a handful of teams who may really be in the running to sign him. Possible the 49ers get him somewhat cheaply if we want to get in on that. 

Prove it deal here in Los Angeles. You have Bosa/Ingram creating a pass rush, and you get to sit in single high with Hayward/Davis/King and oh yea Derwin James forcing them to try to throw high. You get to play the Chiefs twice. Sounds like a great chance to prove it and then cash in a straight cash homie deal in 2020.

52 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Three doctors recommended he didn’t. He didn’t just decide on his own. 

He got a second opinion on his heel and the Doc from Green Bay said he didn't need surgery. So the way I understood it is it was 1-1. He choose to go with the second opinion. 

And for the rest of the folks that really really want him, he has a haglund's deformity in his heel and his situation has been nothing but pain management. It's his body and he can make his own mind up about that but he ultimately chose to not have surgery that would correct this issue instead he is gonna go back to managing the pain. I'm not a doctor but I'm willing to place a hefty wager on him having a flare up once he hits training camp and, once again, be day to day ie month to month.

I love the guy for what he's gone through and the player he is/was but I don't blame my team one bit for this and I'd caution anybody that thinks they're getting a healthy Berry is going to be disappointed. I'm just bummed because picturing a healthy Berry play with Tyrann would've been cool but I think a lot of us Chiefs fans knew, deep down, that it wasn't going to happen once he didn't get his heel fixed.

That's not even talking about the contract situation. He's made a TON of cash playing in 3.5 games over 2 season and he would've made another 16.5 (or something like that) and having no way to reassure the team next season would be no different than last.

6 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

He got a second opinion on his heel and the Doc from Green Bay said he didn't need surgery. So the way I understood it is it was 1-1. He choose to go with the second opinion. 

And for the rest of the folks that really really want him, he has a haglund's deformity in his heel and his situation has been nothing but pain management. It's his body and he can make his own mind up about that but he ultimately chose to not have surgery that would correct this issue instead he is gonna go back to managing the pain. I'm not a doctor but I'm willing to place a hefty wager on him having a flare up once he hits training camp and, once again, be day to day ie month to month.

I love the guy for what he's gone through and the player he is/was but I don't blame my team one bit for this and I'd caution anybody that thinks they're getting a healthy Berry is going to be disappointed. I'm just bummed because picturing a healthy Berry play with Tyrann would've been cool but I think a lot of us Chiefs fans knew, deep down, that it wasn't going to happen once he didn't get his heel fixed.

That's not even talking about the contract situation. He's made a TON of cash playing in 3.5 games over 2 season and he would've made another 16.5 (or something like that) and having no way to reassure the team next season would be no different than last.

Maybe he comes to GB and gets the surgery now just like we planned.

19 minutes ago, kramxel said:

If the achiles injury is fully healed, this is a dumb cut.

I'm sure it feels great now that he hasn't been putting any strain on it. 

I don't know how to post pics on here but this is a bone issue moreso:

30_Haglunds-Deformity.jpg

Edit: hey! I did a pic B|

Probably the toughest player to move on from (and there's been a lot in recent years) but I'm not super surprised. He's over 30, and we can't keep paying him $15M per year to not play.

Shame how fast that great defense fell to age and injuries, though. Not long ago we had DJ, Berry, Peters, Houston, Hali, and Poe all playing at high levels. Berry and Houston had injuries, DJ and Hali aged, Poe was just beat down by playing time, and Peters....yeah.

Definitely safe to say we're hitting the reset button on defense, though. Berry is the last piece remaining of those elite Ds from 2013-2015ish. He's also the last remaining piece of how bloated that made our cap situation. Bunch of years there we were pouring like $60M into 4 or 5 defensive stars. And Dorsey did not structure many of those contracts in a friendly way. The D was already probably the worst in football with Berry, Houston, and Ford. Not really much room to go down from where it was. So may as well shed all the money on our way to a crappy D, I suppose.

To the people excited about him being on the market. If your team signs him, temper your enthusiasm. Berry is a fantastic human being, a great leader, and was a truly spectacular player. But it's been a long time since he was that last bit. Two full years basically out of football is tough. And it isn't like he had a good injury background before these past two years, either. He's also crossed the 30 threshold. Getting past that is kind of hit or miss for DBs. Wasn't kind to Revis or Polamalu. But guys like Woodson breeze through without a problem.

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Who is even left on the KC D?

Chris Jones, Honey Badger. 

My gut says that they acquire someone like Ziggy on a cheaper one year deal. I could see Shane Ray in this defense too. I don't think that they are completely out of options to at least put a competent defense out on the field. Plus, I would suspect the first round pick is likely to be a defensive player? Someone like Bush could make a lot of sense with where they are picking, and that would help them get some really nice speed and athleticism in the linebacker group, not to mention a number of corners who make sense at that spot. 

They are shedding a lot of dead weight and salary with these moves. They didn't want to commit to Ford long term at that rate, and I understand that, and Berry / Houston simply weren't worth the price (and I wouldn't completely rule out a Houston reunion to be honest). But the fact of the matter was, that defense was not working. 

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Who is even left on the KC D?

We have a strong interior DL still. Jones/Nnadi should be a very strong duo in a 4-3. Presumably they're taking a leap of faith on Speaks and Kpass at edge. LB is probably our biggest need. Hitchens may be more comfortable back in a 4-3, I do like DOD as a part-time weakside LB, but we need at least one there. That was the case before these moves though. Fuller is good at CB, and Ward did show promise. Need at least one there to replace Nelson though. S is actually improved, as Mathieu will actually see the field.

We're really not too far off from where we were. Losing Berry makes no material difference compared to the roster we fielded last year. It's basically just the loss at edge that hurts. Though it was a foregone conclusion we'd lose at least one.

We do have capital though, now, which we didn't before. Coming into the offseason we had almost no cap space, after franchising Ford. We could have up to like $45M now to work with, depending on how they cut Berry.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Except the 49ers. Because we have Adrian Colbert and apparently, that's enough.....

I mean, technically Derwin James is enough safety that the Chargers could release Jahleel Addae and not feel the need to address the position (yeah, yeah, don't Rayshawn Jenkins me and ruin my joke!).

Archived