49ers sign Tevin Coleman RB

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I want Jerick McKinnon back. He's probably too expensive though.

I actually don't think that we will keep all three. Jet basically has no guarantees on his deal left, so he can be cut (or traded) as his salary doesn't guarantee until 4/1. Breida is a really nice talent, but I could also understand if we dealt him because we are concerned about his health moving forward. I'm going to assume that there is something in play down the line through a possible trade or something with someone, but I really don't think all three are on the roster to start the season. 

I gotta say, being a niner fan must be miserable. Just surrounded by a bunch of debbie downers. When did having talented football players on team friendly deals become a negative. RBS get hurt, maybe brieda/mckinnon wont be 100% to start the year, who knows. Its a really good deal though and one i thought would never happen $ wise. 

Oh, and the niners did a great job with that mckinnon contract. They can pretty much get out of it anytime they want, dont think they will or should do it this year but another example of whoever is putting together these contracts doing it right?

Edit... ill also add that if all three guys stick dont be durpried to see mckinnon at qb running the triple option a time or two a game. Ran it at southern as did brieda... could see it 2-3 times a game.

23 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Is McKinnon not recovering well? Thought that was a bad signing last year, I do like Coleman more.

So far as I know, he's recovering fine. Obviously, we suffered a lot of problems at the running back position last year, so no doubt that is part of it. But also possible Jet or Breida will be gone. I don't understand really going after the running back position in this situation since we have bigger needs and I was pretty content with Breida and Jet moving forward (and re-signing Mostert), but it certainly does improve the depth if they are all three there to start the season. 

51 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

I gotta say, being a niner fan must be miserable. Just surrounded by a bunch of debbie downers. When did having talented football players on team friendly deals become a negative. RBS get hurt, maybe brieda/mckinnon wont be 100% to start the year, who knows. Its a really good deal though and one i thought would never happen $ wise. 

Oh, and the niners did a great job with that mckinnon contract. They can pretty much get out of it anytime they want, dont think they will or should do it this year but another example of whoever is putting together these contracts doing it right?

Everyone admits Paraag is a wizard with contracts. He's amazing. 

And it's important to note - the criticisms (largely from me), are not about the signings themselves individually. This value is great, and I think you and I discussed Tevin Coleman in another thread in here, so you know I liked him because I was advocating for signing him over Bell. Its about the roster building and decisions we have made in free agency. Like, the Juice Check contract is insane for being a full back. Such an unnecessary overpay just to get him. We paid John Cooper 4 million guaranteed last year to never play a down. We gave 10M to McKinnon last year alone - regardless of whether or not he got hurt, that was stupid. That's not a great job just because we can now get out of it only slightly underwater...we still paid him 10 million for one year lol. We signed Malcolm Smith to an insane contract. We gave Brock Coyle a silly contract. I can at least justify the huge deal to Garcon because he was a solid player. 

Free safety is a huge position in the cover 3, and we had the worst safety in the NFL (as graded by PFF) playing there last year. He's a former 7th round pick who mostly played corner in college. And we didn't even tap into the safety market so far as anyone knows, and this was a strong safety market (that being said, Ha-Ha is still out there, so that could still happen, though I think we are done after signing Ward), yet we prioritized running back for some reason (first bell, then Coleman). So either we have some drastically off kilter evaluations on our safety play, or we just don't know how to evaluate players back there lol. Our top receiver last year was a second year undrafted free agent who had less than 500 yards, and we haven't done a thing there to fix that problem either (though I understand this somewhat if they really believe Pettis is going to break out and have already decided that they will go receiver in round 2). This is after a year in which everyone on the planet knew that we were going to have edge rusher problems and we didn't sign or draft one. 

I have issues with what they are prioritizing, some of the crazy contracts they are giving out to below average players on the whole (that's not coleman). We just make some really, truly bizarre decisions. The coleman contract is fine - the player is fine. But its emblematic of just a bigger recurring theme. 

In the end, deals like this are harmless, but somewhat confusing

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Breida is a really nice talent, but I could also understand if we dealt him because we are concerned about his health moving forward

Whaddya think the asking price would be for Breida?

33 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Whaddya think the asking price would be for Breida?

Can't imagine it would be much. Not sure if they will ship him, the team may actually like having all three of them back there. It does make a solid 3 man rotation. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Can't imagine it would be much. Not sure if they will ship him, the team may actually like having all three of them back there. It does make a solid 3 man rotation. 

I NEED A RB!!!

4 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Edit... ill also add that if all three guys stick dont be durpried to see mckinnon at qb running the triple option a time or two a game. Ran it at southern as did brieda... could see it 2-3 times a game.

Yeah, the signing is fine, but my only thing is his skillset is basically the same as Breida. Essentially they are the same player. Now, the contract isn't bad at all and Breida can't handle a heavy load so in that regard it makes sense. Mostert is one of the best STs players in the league so I'm interested in seeing what we do there. With him plus Juice Check, that's five backs that would be active on game day. And that is hard to see happening. Clearly after going after Bell and signing Coleman, Shanny may have some doubts in how McKinnon returns from the torn ACL. One thing going for him is it happened in TC so he has plenty of time to recover. 

Archived