49ers Re-sign Jimmie Ward

49erurtaza

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

Jonathan Cooper signed a similar contract a year ago. This doesn't mean anything other than Ward will be back to compete for another year. 

This move is only a problem if it is the last move made at the position group.

Yea he'll stick around long enough for Thornhill to show them what comptent FS play looks like. Then he'll get injured in the 3rd preseason game and is IR/waived...

3 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Meh, he's way better at safety. Would still rather have Clinton-Dix or Boston. 

I actually always thought he was at his best in the slot. That's when I was the most impressed with him at least

Get this guy some milk and some calcium pills. 

He has brittle bones I guess. He needs to figure out how to add bone density. 4 of the last 5 years he's broken a bone. That's nuts. 

He's actually not a bad player and extremely good depth. He is a solid nickle and FS. He will see the field a lot. He hasn't played bad when he's played in the last couple years.

He was put in a bad spot early in his career and so that's how people remember him, even though he has actually done moderately well when he has actually played lol 

I agree with @y2lamanaki this move in addition to addressing the FS position some other way is something I can live with. 

Ward and a rookie like thornhill in round 2 would be pretty solid. 

Just judging by the timing of this, we took the cap space we had ear marked for Earl Thomas and signed tevin Coleman and Jimmie ward with it. 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Get this guy some milk and some calcium pills. 

He has brittle bones I guess. He needs to figure out how to add bone density. 4 of the last 5 years he's broken a bone. That's nuts. 

He's actually not a bad player and extremely good depth. He is a solid nickle and FS. He will see the field a lot. He hasn't played bad when he's played in the last couple years.

He was put in a bad spot early in his career and so that's how people remember him, even though he has actually done moderately well when he has actually played lol 

I agree with @y2lamanaki this move in addition to addressing the FS position some other way is something I can live with. 

Ward and a rookie like thornhill in round 2 would be pretty solid. 

Just judging by the timing of this, we took the cap space we had ear marked for Earl Thomas and signed tevin Coleman and Jimmie ward with it. 

That timeline you mentioned is exactly what I’ve been telling myself and some buddies of mine. We missed out on Earl and now used that money to add depth to our RBs where we were starting our RB 4 at one point and resigned a S who outside of injury has been a decent player for us and provides some continuity. I think FS now becomes our number two need and we’ll address that in the draft; my choice is Adderley but there are options for us at the top of round 2 after we add another difference maker on defense at pick 2

51 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

That timeline you mentioned is exactly what I’ve been telling myself and some buddies of mine. We missed out on Earl and now used that money to add depth to our RBs where we were starting our RB 4 at one point and resigned a S who outside of injury has been a decent player for us and provides some continuity. I think FS now becomes our number two need and we’ll address that in the draft; my choice is Adderley but there are options for us at the top of round 2 after we add another difference maker on defense at pick 2

I don't think that you will be very happy if you expect FS to be addressed in the 2nd. Most likely will be a WR, which is also sorely needed. Round 3 or later, if at all. 

I'm not saying that is what I would want. But that appears to be the approach. Ideally we would have found one of the two positions already, but that ship appears to have sailed. 

35 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't think that you will be very happy if you expect FS to be addressed in the 2nd. Most likely will be a WR, which is also sorely needed. Round 3 or later, if at all. 

I'm not saying that is what I would want. But that appears to be the approach. Ideally we would have found one of the two positions already, but that ship appears to have sailed. 

I hope not and FS is addressed in round 2 but I can see what you said happening too. Not how I’d go about it at all but it is what is.

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

I don't think we were ever chasing Earl or any other safety. Barrows seemed echo this statement. 

if we resigned this clown as a depth move with no intention to start him and are still in play for CLinton-Dix or even Berry then I'm ok  with that...

however if this asshat is our starting FS week 1, I'm gonig to be hot as fish grease

I mean if we are just giving away 5 mil willy-nilly hell give it to me...

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I have had WR pegged as the #2 pick for a while now, though I will admit, I personally at this point may lean FS more in the second just because its a far more shallow talent pool in my opinion. I think there's a very good chance that we are still getting a very good receiver talent in the third round if we waited that long. 

That being said, given all the free agent movement, I woudln't be shocked at all if the Free Safety class tumbled a bit and someone like Thornhill is still there in the third. 

Archived