Phil Taylor out for the season with a quad injury

MikeT14

1 minute ago, Woz said:

No, five of those came last year.

It means we potentially paid for contract/career years when what we're going to get is a regression to their mean.

What package? What have these guys done when they've been on the field?

For us? Or in their careers?

Last year for their former teams they were their best run defending DL which was our biggest issue with our defense dating back to 2013.

Just now, turtle28 said:

It doesn't mean we didn't either.

The preponderance of the evidence is that they are not better. It's just what it is.

Maybe it's just preseason. Maybe they're told to try stuff out that we won't do in real games.

Or maybe they just suck.

Occam's Razor ...

1 minute ago, Woz said:

The preponderance of the evidence is that they are not better. It's just what it is.

Maybe it's just preseason. Maybe they're told to try stuff out that we won't do in real games.

Or maybe they just suck.

Occam's Razor ...

We also paid them more money.  

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Or maybe they just suck.

Occam's Razor ...

It's preseason, before the 3rd preseason game McClain had only played 14 snaps and I don't think McGee played much more than that. Beat reporters and others were looking for an angle as to why that was, suggesting possibly they wouldn't make the team but I don't think Tomsula saw it that way. 

Most of the time in preseason the guys you play the most after the first quarter or half are the guys who are battling for the last roster spots, coaches want to see more of those guys and they aren't likely to make the team.

Just now, turtle28 said:

For us? Or in their careers?

Both racked up 2.5 sacks last year. That represents 83.3% of McGee's career total and 55.6% of McClain's.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Last year for their former teams they were their best run defending DL which was our biggest issue with our defense dating back to 2013.

Quickly scanning DVOA, McGee's Raiders ranked 18th, 14th, 15th, and 17th in his four years there. So, last year was not the best Raiders run D performance. I will concede McClain and Dallas, but I suspect that was more a matter of being ahead and forcing teams to catch up.

Just now, turtle28 said:

It's preseason, before the 3rd preseason game McClain had only played 14 snaps and I don't think McGee played much more than that. Beat reporters and others were looking for an angle as to why that was, suggesting possibly they wouldn't make the team but I don't think Tomsula saw it that way.

I already demonstrated that both were on the field as starters and got gouged in that first drive.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Both racked up 2.5 sacks last year. That represents 83.3% of McGee's career total and 55.6% of McClain's.

Quickly scanning DVOA, McGee's Raiders ranked 18th, 14th, 15th, and 17th in his four years there. So, last year was not the best Raiders run D performance. I will concede McClain and Dallas, but I suspect that was more a matter of being ahead and forcing teams to catch up.

Stacey MgGee also only played 9 games last year.  And he started 9 combined games the 3 years before that.  

Just now, Woz said:

The raiders were a yard per carry better against the run with McGee on the field last year. You're also taking a year long stat that should only apply to the half of the season that McGee played and those snaps that he was actually on the field for. I don't think it's worth going through all that but someone did the work to come up with the ypc better stat for McGee and to me that's huge! Especially seeing as McGee projects to be mostly a two down player and not be on the field when we are in our nickel defense.

Just now, turtle28 said:

The raiders were a yard per carry better against the run with McGee on the field last year. You're also taking a year long stat that should only apply to the half of the season that McGee played and those snaps that he was actually on the field for. I don't think it's worth going through all that but someone did the work to come up with the ypc better stat for McGee and to me that's huge! Especially seeing as McGee projects to be mostly a two down player and not be on the field when we are in our nickel defense.

Okay, rush D breakdowns:

1. New Orleans: -15.8% (spectacular), NOR = 3rd in rushing DVOA last season (surprises me too)
  2. Atlanta: -0.8% (meh), ATL = 6th
  3. Tennessee: -0.1% (meh), TEN = 8th
  4. Baltimore: +3.6% (bad), BAL = 21st
  5. San Diego: -29.5% (spectacular), SD = 24th
  6. Kansas City: 12.9% (horrible), KC = 19th
  7. Jacksonville: -9.5% (great), JAC = 28th
  8. Tampa Bay: -10.0% (great); TB = 30th

Archived