Baker Mayfield

rocky_rams

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

Rivers and the Chargers were heavy favorites?’from quick research, Chargers were 3/2 odds to win the division and KC was 5/2

winning the conference the odds were 8/1 for the Chargers and 10/1 for KC. The O/U was set at 9.5 for the Chargers and 8.5 for KC. So I don’t see where the heavy favorites thing comes from. 

The Chargers were the clear favorites to win. Almost every media outlet and prediction show had LAC as top dog in the AFCW. KC was usually picked to finish 2nd or 3rd. 

14 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Baker is a great QB, but I wouldn't pile money on him to win MVP. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mahomes win it again. 

Everybody is citing Watson, Goff and Went with their ups and downs as reasons to be cautious about Baker heading into year two.

Why does the same not apply for Mahommes and the chance he takes a step back.

24 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Everybody is citing Watson, Goff and Went with their ups and downs as reasons to be cautious about Baker heading into year two.

People elevate Mahomes because he actually won MVP and proved himself in the playoffs.

Also, understand that Mahomes played 8 games vs. playoff teams this year. His TD/INT ratio in those 8 contests: 24/6

Now look at other young QBs numbers vs playoff teams to compare:

2017 Wentz (in 4 games vs playoff teams): 10/3. 

2018 Watson (6 games): 8/4

2018 Goff (10 games):13/9.

2018 Mayfield (5 games): 8/10

Mahomes could fall off but I don’t see any reason either he or Mayfield will get worse in 2019. As I mentioned earlier they have great qualities. And all Mahomes has done (from HS to NFL) is simply get better every year. I look at the tape and the stats and simply put Mahomes on another tier above all the young QBs as of today

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I'm relatively new to the sport, so I can only really go off what I watched last year, but Mahomes just seemed to have that extra level to everyone else. He's got so much natural ability and I don't actually think he was protected fantastically last season, plus the defence was poor so he didn't even get that much time out of the field in comparison to the likes of Bears and New England. 

He could well prove to be human, but based on what I've seen I trust him to elevate his performances further. He's a special player IMO. I see Mayfield within the same class as Wentz & Goff. Mahomes is just better. 

Who's this Bakefield guy again? I've been living under a rock on the exact opposite side of the world from Cleveland, so I've never heard of him.

Seriously though, he's amazing. Great player, great in interviews, great at everything from what I've seen. The Browns desperately needed a hero and Baker came in ready, willing, and able to fulfill that role. I wish him many more exceptional seasons.

3 hours ago, Nightime said:

The Chargers were the clear favorites to win. Almost every media outlet and prediction show had LAC as top dog in the AFCW. KC was usually picked to finish 2nd or 3rd. 

Don’t get me wrong. They were favorites, but heavy favorites...not so much

3 hours ago, Nightime said:

People elevate Mahomes because he actually won MVP and proved himself in the playoffs.

Also, understand that Mahomes played 8 games vs. playoff teams this year. His TD/INT ratio in those 8 contests: 24/6

Now look at other young QBs numbers vs playoff teams to compare:

2017 Wentz (in 4 games vs playoff teams): 10/3. 

2018 Watson (6 games): 8/4

2018 Goff (10 games):13/9.

2018 Mayfield (5 games): 8/10

Mahomes could fall off but I don’t see any reason either he or Mayfield will get worse in 2019. As I mentioned earlier they have great qualities. And all Mahomes has done (from HS to NFL) is simply get better every year. I look at the tape and the stats and simply put Mahomes on another tier above all the young QBs as of today

Yeah Mahahomes was a stud against those teams but you look at those QBs and I would say Mahomes might of had by far the best groups of Skill players. His three main receiving weapons of Hill Watkins and Kelce were better and more dangerous then the best 3 of the other teams with the Browns being in last  

It’s one reasons ppl are so excited about this offense since OBJ. He completes that offense. Browns have a legit go to guy #1. Landry is great but he is a pure #2. Now he will go up against #2 corners on a consistent bases for the first time in his career. Last year the browns had their better depth guys playing as the #1 and #2 at times. Now they will rightfully be the #3 and #4. Hell the Browns basically replaced Perriman with OBJ. Knocking every receiver down a peg into their proper slots.  Now you hope Njoku Kees improve and that offense can truly be dangerous  

What’s a better 3 man combo

Hill Watkins Kelce

OBJ Landry Njoku

Cook Woods Kuop

Etta Jeffery Agholor/Tate

Hopkins Fuller Griffen 

last year Landry Higgins Njoku is the worst of the group. Now OBJ Landry and Njoku looks pretty nice. Which should really help baker build upon last season

24 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Yeah Mahahomes was a stud against those teams but you look at those QBs and I would say Mahomes might of had by far the best groups of Skill players. His three main receiving weapons of Hill Watkins and Kelce were better and more dangerous then the best 3 of the other teams with the Browns being in last  

It’s one reasons ppl are so excited about this offense since OBJ. He completes that offense. Browns have a legit go to guy #1. Landry is great but he is a pure #2. Now he will go up against #2 corners on a consistent bases for the first time in his career. Last year the browns had their better depth guys playing as the #1 and #2 at times. Now they will rightfully be the #3 and #4. Hell the Browns basically replaced Perriman with OBJ. Knocking every receiver down a peg into their proper slots.  Now you hope Njoku Kees improve and that offense can truly be dangerous  

Hill Watkins Kelce

OBJ Landry Njoku

Cook Woods Kuop

Etta Jeffery Agholor/Tate

Hopkins Fuller Griffen 

last year Landry Higgins Njoku is the worst of the group. Now OBJ Landry and Njoku looks pretty nice. Which should really help baker build upon last season

Mahomes had good weapons but so did Goff and Roethlisberger.

Big Ben’s TD/INT ratio in his 6 games vs playoff teams in 2018: 14/6. That was with Brown, JJSS, Jesse James, and James Conner, along with a good offensive line

16 hours ago, Vee-Rex said:

I'm a Browns fan and I have no problem saying Mahomes > Baker. Easily.

But as Nightime said, we might have some really fun and electrifying games to look forward to in the future with both of these QBs!

Straight up props. Your assessment is correct. BM can change it this year but we have to see it 1st. IMO both have to prove it this year.

1 hour ago, Nightime said:

Mahomes had good weapons but so did Goff and Roethlisberger.

Big Ben’s TD/INT ratio in his 6 games vs playoff teams in 2018: 14/6. That was with Brown, JJSS, Jesse James, and James Conner, along with a good offensive line

Not as good as Mahomes’ tho. hence why his stat line is best in your secernerio

The hope and the early cockyness from browns fans is for once the Browns might actually have the best 1-2 combo at WR in the league with OBJ and Landry. The only other combo I think thst can compete is the Diggs ans Thielen. It would have been the Steelers. That not only do the Browns have a promising QB but that they actually have talent for that QB

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Hill Watkins Kelce

OBJ Landry Njoku

Cook Woods Kuop

Ertz Jeffery Agholor/Tate

Hopkins Fuller Griffen 

I should fix this now...

What’s a better 3 man combo?

Watkins Conley Kelce

OBJ Landry Njoku

Cook Woods Kuop

Ertz Jeffery Agholor/Tate

Hopkins Fuller Griffen 

The Mayfield v Mahomes debate is super interesting to me.

Mahomes clearly had the better 2018 season, but it was year 2 in the system for him and he had a far superior supporting cast and coaching staff.

Mayfield flashed absurd talent every game.  His personality is precisely what this city and franchise needs. 

I’m not sure if the roles were reversed if Mahomes could do what Baker did.  Tbh I was wondering if any qb would ever be able to do it.  That said, as great as Baker’s arm talent is, I’m not sure there’s a better QB physically/arm talent wise than Mahomes in the league.

If I were a Chiefs fan I probably wouldn’t trade Mahomes for Baker, but as a Browns fan I don’t think I’d trade Baker for Mahomes.  

What really excited me is the prospect of these two being the next Manning v Brady in the AFC for the next decade and a half.

21 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The Mayfield v Mahomes debate is super interesting to me.

Mahomes clearly had the better 2018 season, but it was year 2 in the system for him and he had a far superior supporting cast and coaching staff.

Mayfield flashed absurd talent every game.  His personality is precisely what this city and franchise needs. 

I’m not sure if the roles were reversed if Mahomes could do what Baker did.  Tbh I was wondering if any qb would ever be able to do it.  That said, as great as Baker’s arm talent is, I’m not sure there’s a better QB physically/arm talent wise than Mahomes in the league.

If I were a Chiefs fan I probably wouldn’t trade Mahomes for Baker, but as a Browns fan I don’t think I’d trade Baker for Mahomes.  

What really excited me is the prospect of these two being the next Manning v Brady in the AFC for the next decade and a half.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with a Browns fan wanting Mahomes over Baker because he had a historic season last year. I'll keep Baker but I can see it. It may be a little tougher for Mahomes this year and a little easier for Baker so maybe the narrative changes next year but either way both fan bases should be really excited for their future.

Archived