The Official BDN Thread

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Good thing we dont have to sign anyone important next year 

He'll basically take up about $3M more than what Blake was gonna count, $6M more if we had cut Blake next off season.

Was going over the salaries and holy cow DJ Haydens salary next off season will be $8M.

Why is Dave Caldwell still our GM?

We save just over $6M by cutting him. IIRC Dareus will have a big cap hit and small penalty, so next season has to be his final year. I suspect it will be the same for Calais.

Linder makes $8M with zero penalty if cut, so may not be a bad idea to look for his eventual replacement. 

11 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

He'll basically take up about $3M more than what Blake was gonna count, $6M more if we had cut Blake next off season.

Was going over the salaries and holy cow DJ Haydens salary next off season will be $8M.

We save just over $6M by cutting him. IIRC Dareus will have a big cap hit and small penalty, so next season has to be his final year. I suspect it will be the same for Calais.

Linder makes $8M with zero penalty if cut, so may not be a bad idea to look for his eventual replacement. 

Yeah, idk why people are still fretting about cap. It's super easy to manuever around and make space.

Well, the cap is easy to maneuver enough but man if I was Shad there's no way I let Caldwell spend another cent of my money. 

1. Basically built the team with the first two years as clear "tanking" years. Super uncompetitive teams for basically majority of his first contract.

2. His HC and QB picks were both failures, and both lasted far longer than they should have. 

3. FA money has been, for the most part, ridiculous spending. Gerhart, Beadles, Julius were duds. Even his good ones in Gipson, Church, Malik lasted no longer than three years with the team. I expect Calais to join that list next year with Hayden (oof), and Foles in 2 years.

4. His top 10 picks, with the exception of Jalen (and maybe Fournette, positional value aside) has been a dumpster fire.

If not for his mid round success in finding Telvin, Linder, Yan, Arob, Colvin, he would have zero saving grace as a GM (and we already let go of two of those).

Why he still has a role with this team is beyond me. 

So sure he's managed the cap (which is probably more Idzik), but this team will basically be unrecognizable two years removed from that 2017 run...and even more in 2020.

We have so many players and holes to replace, and that's assuming guys like Jalen and Yann stick around. 

10 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Well, the cap is easy to maneuver enough but man if I was Shad there's no way I let Caldwell spend another cent of my money. 

1. Basically built the team with the first two years as clear "tanking" years. Super uncompetitive teams for basically majority of his first contract.

2. His HC and QB picks were both failures, and both lasted far longer than they should have. 

3. FA money has been, for the most part, ridiculous spending. Gerhart, Beadles, Julius were duds. Even his good ones in Gipson, Church, Malik lasted no longer than three years with the team. I expect Calais to join that list next year with Hayden (oof), and Foles in 2 years.

4. His top 10 picks, with the exception of Jalen (and maybe Fournette, positional value aside) has been a dumpster fire.

If not for his mid round success in finding Telvin, Linder, Yan, Arob, Colvin, he would have zero saving grace as a GM (and we already let go of two of those).

Why he still has a role with this team is beyond me. 

So sure he's managed the cap (which is probably more Idzik), but this team will basically be unrecognizable two years removed from that 2017 run...and even more in 2020.

We have so many players and holes to replace, and that's assuming guys like Jalen and Yann stick around. 

I read somewhere that the only reason he's still here is for his late round scouting/drafting.

Watching the Foles presser and his interview after on the field made me realize he's definitely not pulling the string anymore. I want him gone too but I don't think who we take at 7 has anything to do with Caldwell.

Yann and Jalen are sticking for sure imo.

Caldwell is still around because he has a good eye for talent and is, admittedly, an easy scapegoat. John Idzik is our cap guy and Tom Coughlin has final say. This is the same as it has been since Coughlin got here. 

I'm not worried about the cap and getting the guys we need re-signed. Idzik is one of the best when it comes to the cap and there are a lot of things you can do to make the cap work. Part of why Bortles was not designated as post June 1st as well is to have some more cap available for 2020.

On 14/03/2019 at 7:49 AM, Speedyg said:

We don't have a choice now. He's our guy. I was totally a Teddy guy, but had no choice but to accept Blake. Lamar guy, no choice but to accept Taven.

We can only hope Flip is able to duplicate his magic with Foles.

But watching his highlights during his Eagles days, there's honestly quite a bit of big plays where the ball was placed very well deep...but it also required the receiver/TE to make a great catch something our receivers last season were *edit NOT able to do consistently.

Chark showed a bit of potential on this, but man, it seems we got rid of our "slower" receivers who can make these contested catches to get smaller faster guys for Blake's crossers, and now we with Nick it seems we need these type of receivers again.

This is the biggest thing that kinda worries me with Foles coming in here.  They built this team so much to try to salvage Bortles, they've built so much of it around speedy guys with inconsistent or straight up garbo hands and very little contested catch ability.  Which are exactly the sort of big body/contested catch/possession target guys that Foles seems to really love tossing the ball to and letting them make plays on it.

Chark does have a bit of that potential to him.  Like 99% of what he did well in college was "run down the sidelines real fast and toe tap to bring it in".  So there's that...maybe.  Really, Chark had better materialize into something this year...the guy was a 2nd round pick, ahead of a lot of imo better prospects, and they passed up some guys like Courtland Sutton who would've been absolutely perfect for Foles in favor of Taven Bryan.

Just seems like that's about it though.  They got work to do, re-staffing this offense for Flip and Foles, instead of Bortle-ball.

On 15/03/2019 at 4:15 PM, Speedyg said:

The DJ Hayden thing is hilarious tbh.  It's not like he has a significant dead money penalty when we cut him next year...but the fact he even has a couple mil of dead money in year 3 at all, is pretty bad actually.  It's not like he was anything resembling a "cheap" signing.  And he's been fine, when healthy...but yikes.  They'll pay Hayden like $8M a year to be an alright nickel corner when he's healthy, but reliable ol' Gipson who is the glue in what has been a great secondary gets the boot to save cap space.  xD

They'll figure out the cap the same way they always do though.  They'll jettison good, contributing players to make it all fit.  And push their potentially botched draft picks into starting roles replacing them, for better or worse.

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

This is the biggest thing that kinda worries me with Foles coming in here.  They built this team so much to try to salvage Bortles, they've built so much of it around speedy guys with inconsistent or straight up garbo hands and very little contested catch ability.  Which are exactly the sort of big body/contested catch/possession target guys that Foles seems to really love tossing the ball to and letting them make plays on it.

Chark does have a bit of that potential to him.  Like 99% of what he did well in college was "run down the sidelines real fast and toe tap to bring it in".  So there's that...maybe.  Really, Chark had better materialize into something this year...the guy was a 2nd round pick, ahead of a lot of imo better prospects, and they passed up some guys like Courtland Sutton who would've been absolutely perfect for Foles in favor of Taven Bryan.

Just seems like that's about it though.  They got work to do, re-staffing this offense for Flip and Foles, instead of Bortle-ball.

Chark+Highly drafted TE.

Cole is 6'1, Lee is 6'0, Dede is smaller but a great guy underneath who I'm sure will work well. Conley isn't a top of the depth chart guy but pretty much exactly what you describe.

Definitely not the talent in PHI though, no doubt about it. Alshon/Ertz was one heck of a duo. Just feel like it's hard to know what we have with who has been throwing them them the ball though.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The DJ Hayden thing is hilarious tbh.  It's not like he has a significant dead money penalty when we cut him next year...but the fact he even has a couple mil of dead money in year 3 at all, is pretty bad actually.  It's not like he was anything resembling a "cheap" signing.  And he's been fine, when healthy...but yikes.  They'll pay Hayden like $8M a year to be an alright nickel corner when he's healthy, but reliable ol' Gipson who is the glue in what has been a great secondary gets the boot to save cap space.  xD

They'll figure out the cap the same way they always do though.  They'll jettison good, contributing players to make it all fit.  And push their potentially botched draft picks into starting roles replacing them, for better or worse.

Colvin was "great" here to and we signed a "bust" in Hayden yet we're talking about them jettisoning good players and putting in poor draft picks?

We cut Malik who although brought a good pass rush, was poor against the run and was being overpaid and had Taven who did flash at 3T in for him. That's how this whole thing works. You don't keep everyone.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Chark+Highly drafted TE.

Cole is 6'1, Lee is 6'0, Dede is smaller but a great guy underneath who I'm sure will work well. Conley isn't a top of the depth chart guy but pretty much exactly what you describe.

Definitely not the talent in PHI though, no doubt about it. Alshon/Ertz was one heck of a duo. Just feel like it's hard to know what we have with who has been throwing them them the ball though.

Not only did they have Ertz at TE this last go-round for Foles...they had Goedert as a second option too.  :(  Embarrassment of riches in the type of weapons Foles likes in Philly.

I do like the Conley thing though.  He's a budget version of what we need, but it's the right type of guy.  Hopefully shows they're at least aware of the deficit in those type of weapons they need to make up now.

You don't keep every good vet. You draft to replace guys that are too highly paid because you obviously can't afford everyone. Keep all the "good contributing players" and keeping all your rookies in backup roles isn't even a possibility with a salary cap.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Colvin was "great" here to and we signed a "bust" in Hayden yet we're talking about them jettisoning good players and putting in poor draft picks?

We cut Malik who although brought a good pass rush, was poor against the run and was being overpaid and had Taven who did flash at 3T in for him. That's how this whole thing works. You don't keep everyone.

Obviously you can't keep everyone.  Especially if you're going QB shopping.  But it's about how they allocate money.

Spending honestly kinda shocking dollars on Hayden to be a decent if slightly unreliable nickel corner.  Letting Colvin go was fine.  Sucked because he was great here...but it happens.  But you can't find a Nickel CB in the draft somewhere cheap, and keep your FS instead?  They do this all over the place.  It's expected...but i'm not sure that makes it hugely savvy cap management or roster building.

Archived