The Official BDN Thread

.Buzz

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Sure, but he's also on the hot seat and last year's offense/conservative playstyle got us to 5 wins. That happens again and he's out. I'm sure that played a role in the hiring...plus Tom had him on his staff in NYG.

But that's not a guarantee that just because he's on the hot seat that he's suddenly going to change and go YOLO.  If anything the hot seat often makes some people  double down on their philosophies (If I'm going down, in going down my way mindset)

5 hours ago, Speedyg said:

But that's not a guarantee that just because he's on the hot seat that he's suddenly going to change and go YOLO.  If anything the hot seat often makes some people  double down on their philosophies (If I'm going down, in going down my way mindset)

I mean, it's not like what DeFlippo was doing was working great either.There's a balance that needs to be done.

Foles shouldn't be playing Yolo ball all the time either with a top 5 or so defense most likely on the other side having his back. He doesn't need to do that to win games here most likely barring some serious problems everywhere else.

But he's also good in those situations, and I doubt they looked at his tape and saw him having success with it and said to themselves "we're going to totally reel him back and not let him do something he has success with," either.

Pretty easy to chalk up Marrone as too conservative with what we've done since he took over, but when you take into account who he had to work with at QB, and not to mention he did dial it up with Blake at times in 2017 and show more aggressiveness when he absolutely needed to or Blake was having one of his games he played out of his mind ala Seattle.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, it's not like what DeFlippo was doing was working great either.There's a balance that needs to be done.

Foles shouldn't be playing Yolo ball all the time either with a top 5 or so defense most likely on the other side having his back. He doesn't need to do that to win games here most likely barring some serious problems everywhere else.

But he's also good in those situations, and I doubt they looked at his tape and saw him having success with it and said to themselves "we're going to totally reel him back and not let him do something he has success with," either.

Pretty easy to chalk up Marrone as too conservative with what we've done since he took over, but when you take into account who he had to work with at QB, and not to mention he did dial it up with Blake at times in 2017 and show more aggressiveness when he absolutely needed to or Blake was having one of his games he played out of his mind ala Seattle.

Right so up 17 points in the 4th quarter vs the Patriots, Foles at the helm, do we go run-run-pass? Because Blake had been playing well to that point, after shredding Pittsburgh the week before?  

None of us know how this coaching staff will play out.

But Doug's philosophy of not turning the ball over, his emphasis on it, at the very core, goes against what has made Foles successful...because when you take those risks, you are likely to turn it over some. 

So we'll see. Aside from the questions about whether we have the playmakers or we can protect, that's my big concern. 

Will they let him play the way he earned a Super Bowl MVP?

Thats my concern.  

28 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Right so up 17 points in the 4th quarter vs the Patriots, Foles at the helm, do we go run-run-pass? Because Blake had been playing well to that point, after shredding Pittsburgh the week before?  

None of us know how this coaching staff will play out.

But Doug's philosophy of not turning the ball over, his emphasis on it, at the very core, goes against what has made Foles successful...because when you take those risks, you are likely to turn it over some. 

So we'll see. Aside from the questions about whether we have the playmakers or we can protect, that's my big concern. 

Will they let him play the way he earned a Super Bowl MVP?

Thats my concern.  

Guess we'll have to see. But when Blake was super turnover prone and the profits from letting him do hero ball were minimal and didn't translate into wins, it's hard to expect him to trust him I'd say too.

Again, it's not like Foles is hero ball all the time either. He had games where he managed and controlled the ball. When he needed to/in big moments hed do his thing, sure, but let's not act like Foles is Favre out here either.

I definitely think Marrone/offensive playcalling is different with a much more trustworthy/heralded guy in Foles than Blake. He may not go full speed ahead, but I don't see him doing what he did in that game ever again after all the scrutiny, and especially not with a guy in Foles who has shown out in big moments instead of Bortles...

15 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Blake shredded the Steelers? 

Our 1st series he made several nice throws on big plays that led to our TD. After that we dominated so much he didn't have to do much.  But we needed him in the 2nd half to answer every single score the Steelers made when it looked like they were about to come back, and he did.

Big throw to cole. To Yeldon. To Bohannon. 

We dont win that game if we didn't get "good Blake"

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

Our 1st series he made several nice throws on big plays that led to our TD. After that we dominated so much he didn't have to do much.  But we needed him in the 2nd half to answer every single score the Steelers made when it looked like they were about to come back, and he did.

Big throw to cole. To Yeldon. To Bohannon. 

We dont win that game if we didn't get "good Blake"

I was there and the Steelers were never out of it. Even down to the end it never felt safe bc we were just a typical Blake INT away from being in major trouble 

Not much of an Alfie fan but he's spot on here and pretty much referencing what I spoke about yesterday.

Blake's game directly impacted the game plan/how we played. Impossible to predict what the plan is if Foles plays like his average/above average self. 

23 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I was there and the Steelers were never out of it. Even down to the end it never felt safe bc we were just a typical Blake INT away from being in major trouble 

And yet he delivered big play after big play after big play to answer every score they made...

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Not much of an Alfie fan but he's spot on here and pretty much referencing what I spoke about yesterday.

Blake's game directly impacted the game plan/how we played. Impossible to predict what the plan is if Foles plays like his average/above average self. 

We'll see but I dont think its that simple. TC still refers to Leonard as our bell cow.  Our OL is still more a run blocking OL than a pass blocking one.

Do I expect us to be less conservative? Yes.

It's not like the eagles with Foles was slinging it around scoring 30 points a game like the Chiefs.

This will still be, more or less, the Coughlin definition of balanced offense.

11 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

We'll see but I dont think its that simple. TC still refers to Leonard as our bell cow.  Our OL is still more a run blocking OL than a pass blocking one.

It's not like the eagles with Foles was slinging it around scoring 30 points a game like the Chiefs.

Yeah.  I get that part of the way they tried to run the offense was just in not trusting Blake at all and trying to keep the ball out of his hands as much as possible.  With Flip and Foles, that's going to change, i'm sure.

But an equal part of the way this team was built was independent of Bortles sucking.  It's about the "Team Concept" where a strong possession running game is the perfect complement to a good defense.  You want to own the football and grind them into the dirt, keep the defense fresh and chomping at the bit to get after it...not race opponents up and down the field.

2 hours ago, Speedyg said:

I mean, what else is TC going to say? The guy spent a top 5 pick on him and after the debacle last year you gotta try and motivate him to get his ish together. 

His actual actions show he cut a QB with a 16.5M cap hit and signed a QB to a $50M gtd. contract. He took away all of Fournettes guarantees and keeps saying how if he shows up motivated he can be good, but that's on him and not them.

Sure makes it sound more like a balanced/slightly more pass heavy offense is possibly in store than a run it out/super conservative/lean on a RB offense to me, but hey...🤷‍♂️

Either way, I'm not saying it will be an air raid attack here or anything. But I definitely think the offense will be running through the QB/Foles more so than the RB/Fournette or whoever like the past couple years, that's for sure.

Archived