2019 RDT

DreamKid

The NFL's Top 11 Outside CBs-  https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/06/04/the-nfls-11-best-outside-cornerbacks/

#10- Marlon Humphrey

The Ravens have had a top-3 pass defense in each of the last two seasons, and it’s no coincidence that Humphrey joined the squad in 2017 as the team’s first-round pick out of Alabama. Entering a highly complex system, Humphrey didn’t miss a beat—he’s allowed fewer than half the passes thrown to him to be completed in his two NFL seasons, and his opponent passer rating of 65.0 in combined seasons is among the NFL’s best.

Why has Humphrey been able to defeat the league’s learning curve at the position? Whether he’s playing tight to the receiver or in off-coverage, he has a great understanding of the timing and angles of routes, allowing him to close on the ball efficiency and accurately. Equal parts athlete and technician, Humphrey should continue to rise on lists like these.

#4- Brandon Carr

Perhaps the most underrated player on this list. Carr had a really rough time in coverage his last few seasons with the Cowboys, but his two seasons in Baltimore have been a revelation. In 2017, he allowed 56% of his 84 targets to be caught for an opponent passer rating of 69.1, and in 2018, he allowed 47 catches on 83 targets for a catch rate of 56.6%, 625 yards, no touchdowns, two interceptions, and an opponent passer rating of 70.6.

What’s caused this remarkable consistency late in Carr’s career? The 33-year-old veteran diagnoses routes as well as anyone in the business, and he’s still outstanding in short-to-intermediate coverage because he’s so good with his feet off the line of scrimmage, and in matching quick, angular routes. Carr will occasionally get beaten over the top, but that’s the only glaring issue for a guy who was thought to be washed up a few years back, and has reinvented himself rather impressively.

Also, NFL's Top 11 Slot Defenders (No Tavon Young)- https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/06/01/the-nfls-11-best-slot-defenders/

Both Marlon and Brandon should be in the top 11, but the logic the site is using is odd. At least as far as the actual rankings within the Top 11 are concerned. I think Carr's play in 2018 is the most undersung performance by a Raven in recent memory, and it is one of the more remarkable resurgences or even late career peaks I've seen from a player. I still wouldn't slot him in above Marlon though, and you aren't going to see any statistic put forth that would justify such a thing either. Marlon is way too low on the list, and Carr is a little high in comparison. I have no real reason to complain though, it's just nice to see them actually being recognized. Our CBs are and have been the strength of this team, but rarely get credit for being so. This offseason especially with all the "No Weddle, No Mosley, No Suggs = Collapse" nonsense that's getting pushed. 

11 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

The NFL's Top 11 Outside CBs-  https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/06/04/the-nfls-11-best-outside-cornerbacks/

#10- Marlon Humphrey

The Ravens have had a top-3 pass defense in each of the last two seasons, and it’s no coincidence that Humphrey joined the squad in 2017 as the team’s first-round pick out of Alabama. Entering a highly complex system, Humphrey didn’t miss a beat—he’s allowed fewer than half the passes thrown to him to be completed in his two NFL seasons, and his opponent passer rating of 65.0 in combined seasons is among the NFL’s best.

Why has Humphrey been able to defeat the league’s learning curve at the position? Whether he’s playing tight to the receiver or in off-coverage, he has a great understanding of the timing and angles of routes, allowing him to close on the ball efficiency and accurately. Equal parts athlete and technician, Humphrey should continue to rise on lists like these.

#4- Brandon Carr

Perhaps the most underrated player on this list. Carr had a really rough time in coverage his last few seasons with the Cowboys, but his two seasons in Baltimore have been a revelation. In 2017, he allowed 56% of his 84 targets to be caught for an opponent passer rating of 69.1, and in 2018, he allowed 47 catches on 83 targets for a catch rate of 56.6%, 625 yards, no touchdowns, two interceptions, and an opponent passer rating of 70.6.

What’s caused this remarkable consistency late in Carr’s career? The 33-year-old veteran diagnoses routes as well as anyone in the business, and he’s still outstanding in short-to-intermediate coverage because he’s so good with his feet off the line of scrimmage, and in matching quick, angular routes. Carr will occasionally get beaten over the top, but that’s the only glaring issue for a guy who was thought to be washed up a few years back, and has reinvented himself rather impressively.

Also, NFL's Top 11 Slot Defenders (No Tavon Young)- https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/06/01/the-nfls-11-best-slot-defenders/

Both Marlon and Brandon should be in the top 11, but the logic the site is using is odd. At least as far as the actual rankings within the Top 11 are concerned. I think Carr's play in 2018 is the most undersung performance by a Raven in recent memory, and it is one of the more remarkable resurgences or even late career peaks I've seen from a player. I still wouldn't slot him in above Marlon though, and you aren't going to see any statistic put forth that would justify such a thing either. Marlon is way too low on the list, and Carr is a little high in comparison. I have no real reason to complain though, it's just nice to see them actually being recognized. Our CBs are and have been the strength of this team, but rarely get credit for being so. This offseason especially with all the "No Weddle, No Mosley, No Suggs = Collapse" nonsense that's getting pushed. 

I don’t get slotting him over smith either TBH, unless the methodology includes contract value. 

1 minute ago, sp6488 said:

I don’t get slotting him over smith either TBH, unless the methodology includes contract value.

Nah, I think he was a much better player than Jimmy last year. And certainly if you factor in contract value as you said, or even better Durability/Availability. Jimmy was super up and down as a player last season. He really dropped the ball in a couple games, the Saints outing in particular was rough. Carr had some fiendishly clutch heroics last season, just an all around great year from an outside CB. Consistency, Durability, and he didn't go against scrubs either. His TD PBU on JuJu was beautiful for example. 

That's what is weird though. You don't know how much they're weighting towards good in the past, good currently, or good going forward. In the grand scheme of things Jimmy is a Top 10 outside CB. And Carr wasn't a top 10 CB in 2017, Top 20 certainly- but not 10.

Going forward I think it would be foolish/greedy to expect Carr, a 33 year old CB, to repeat his 2018 level of play though. So we will need Jimmy, who has traditionally been the much stronger player and frankly one of the NFL's top pure cover men, to up and maintain his game. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Nah, I think he was a much better player than Jimmy last year. And certainly if you factor in contract value as you said, or even better Durability/Availability. Jimmy was super up and down as a player last season. He really dropped the ball in a couple games, the Saints outing in particular was rough. Carr had some fiendishly clutch heroics last season, just an all around great year from an outside CB. Consistency, Durability, and he didn't go against scrubs either. His TD PBU on JuJu was beautiful for example. 

That's what is weird though. You don't know how much they're weighting towards good in the past, good currently, or good going forward. In the grand scheme of things Jimmy is a Top 10 outside CB. And Carr wasn't a top 10 CB in 2017, Top 20 certainly- but not 10.

Going forward I think it would be foolish/greedy to expect Carr, a 33 year old CB, to repeat his 2018 level of play though. So we will need Jimmy, who has traditionally been the much stronger player and frankly one of the NFL's top pure cover men, to up and maintain his game. 

Yeah, he should be completely rehabbed from his Achille injury now and stronger. I would expect Jimmy to be at Carr’s 2018 level, especially with this being the final year of his contract. He could be playing for some really big money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"New", how dare they. Pernell is an OG Raven. Look at our young ILBs though. I'm telling you, the pass rush ability of our off ball LBs is so slept on. They just rack pressure after pressure. A couple missiles we can fire into the backfield. One of the great joys of watching the All-22 throughout the 2018 season was discovering how ferocious and explosive Kenny is as a blitz piece. The tenets of modern linebacking are Run-Cover-Blitz, Peanut and Young excel at all three. 

I feel like Peanut is about to have a superstar season and I'm probably getting ahead of myself/drinking the Kool-Aid but I kinda want to see DeCosta get him locked up now before that happens because i think we could get him at a big discount relative to what he's gonna be worth a year from now. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 10:33 AM, BaltimoreTerp said:

I feel like Peanut is about to have a superstar season and I'm probably getting ahead of myself/drinking the Kool-Aid but I kinda want to see DeCosta get him locked up now before that happens because i think we could get him at a big discount relative to what he's gonna be worth a year from now. 

That's probably why Onwuasor ends up betting on himself and playing out this year without agreeing to a new deal.

• 4 weeks later...