The Post FA|Pre Draft Season Prediction Thread

BayRaider

Obviously we need the draft for some more accurate predictions but with FA over, might as well have our first prediction thread of the new year. We’ll make a new one after the draft is complete. Playoffs are optional, feel free. 

AFC North:

Cleveland Browns 11-5

Pittsburgh Steelers 8-8

Baltimore Ravens 7-9

Cincinnati Bengals 5-11

Well... the Browns are stacked. Great offense, Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward on Defense, looking very solid. Coaching is a question mark though and the Browns having a 12-15 win season may be a stretch although entirely possible. 

Ravens lost three starters on defense, I don’t think they have a second round pick either. They did add Earl Thomas though. I see them regressing but being competitive. 

Steelers regress to a .500 football team without AB and Bell. But honestly they are a bit of a mystery to me. If they add a couple defensive pieces they could be surprising competitive. 

AFC East: 

New England Patriots 13-3

Buffalo Bills 7-9

New York Jets 6-10

Miami Dolphins 4-12

Patriots still the Patriots until they prove otherwise. Might be there final year though. The other teams in this division not that great. 

AFC South:

Indianapolis Colts 11-5

Tennessee Titans 10-6

Houston Texans 8-8

Jacksonville Jaguars 7-9

Very competitive division. Colts roster is really good and they have picks at 26 and 34 in the draft. I can see any of the top three teams winning though. 

AFC West:

Los Angeles Chargers 12-4

Kansas City Chiefs 11-5

Oakland Raiders 7-9

Denver Broncos 7-9

Chargers are the most complete team imo but the media and casual fan will go Chiefs. Raiders and Broncos both show improvement. 

NFC North: 

Green Bay Packers 12-4

Chicago Bears 10-6

Minnesota Vikings 6-10

Detroit Lions 5-11

Packers made some pretty nice FA moves and really aggressive for once. They also hold picks 12 and 30 in the draft. I expect the Bears to take a step back but still be a wildcard team. They haven’t done much in FA and have no draft picks in the first couple rounds as far as I’m aware of. 

NFC East:

Philadelphia Eagles 10-6

Dallas Cowboys 9-7

Washington Redskins 8-8

New York Giants 4-12

Hard division to predict, especially not fully knowing the Redskins QB situation. As for the Giants, this will be the end of the Eli era. They will be bad. 

NFC South:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6

New Orleans Saints 10-6

Atlanta Falcons 8-8

Carolina Panthers 5-11

NFC West:

San Francisco 49ers 11-5

Los Angeles Rams 10-6

Seattle Seahawks 9-7

Arizona Cardinals 3-13

• Like 3

Chargers aren't winning 12 games next year. 

They won a lot of close games last year and teams usually regress in that department the following year. They should be good (9-10 wins) and in the middle of the playoff hunt, but I don't see 12 wins. It just hard to win at the level in the NFL unless you are New England. 

I can't really get a read on the Texans right now. Gut instinct tells me they regressed, but losing players from last years' secondary is actually a good thing - that pass defense was atrocious, that secondary was a mess. I think Kareem Jackson and Tyrann Mathieu are good, but they did not show up last season for long, critical stretches. 

The OL was the concern going into the off season, and remains as such. The lack of action for FA OL tells me that there are gonna be several OL taken by the Texans in the first three rounds - I wouldn't be shocked if two of the three picks in the first two rounds are strictly OL. (In fact, I'm expecting this to be the case).

I'll have a better feel on what this team can do after those pick ups.

Jets are going to be a much improved team. We added some serious impact players on both sides of the ball (Bell, Mosley) and have the 3rd pick in the draft which is likely going to be used on an edge rusher. The time is now, all Jet fans are expecting us to be competitive finally. There's really no excuse for Mac at this point.

9 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Jets are going to be a much improved team. We added some serious impact players on both sides of the ball (Bell, Mosley) and have the 3rd pick in the draft which is likely going to be used on an edge rusher. The time is now, all Jet fans are expecting us to be competitive finally. There's really no excuse for Mac at this point.

Hmm who is catching the football? I think you guys should trade down and get a 2nd. You can still get a EDGE like Montez Sweat who imo will be just as good as Allen if not better plus you can get a WR in the 2nd. Tons of good WRs in the 2nd Round this year. 

I think the jets get to .500 but even with the talent, I am not a fan of Gase, Love the signing of Bell, But is Osemele going to return to form or did he take the money and run.  I think Greg Williams will make an impact next year, he usually does until the players tune him out. 

Nice job @BayRaider!  I don’t know enough about the other divisions to speak intelligently, but I think the AFC North looks pretty solid.

I could see Pittsburgh still being competitive, 8 wins would be low end for me.  

I like the Ravens defensive system they have in place, but they took a hit talent wise.  I’m not a Lamar Jackson believer, I still think they need a long term solution at QB.  7-9 seems about right to me.

The Bengals... *sigh*... I live in Cincy and it sucks seeing such a passionate fan base get hosed.  By and large they’ve always been decent when they were kicking our butts and could sympathize with the rough years.  Not sure what the goal is right now, but they need to nuke the roster and start over. There’s enough talent to win some games, but not a lot.  5-11 is a good guess.

As far as the Browns, I may be too far into the forest to see the trees.  The Cleveland fan in me thinks this team could shock the world and be 13-3 or something like the Chiefs did last season.  The Cleveland fan in me also thinks this will inevitably implode, we win 2 games, Baker demands a trade, OBJ retires to be a social media influencer, and John Dorsey and Myles Garrett decide to end a disagreement with a duel and both die.  So 11-5 is as good of a guess as any....