Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Just Want A Title

Polarizing Prospects

Recommended Posts

Every year there are some prospects who generate wildly different assessments.  The prospects that seem the most polarizing to me right now are"

1.  Jonah Williams--He is a awesome technician but at 6'4 305Lbs and 33 inch arms he seems to be a positional tweener between G and T.  He doesn't have ideal height or arm length (Joe Thomas had 33 inch arms also) but his game performances are great.  Personally, I think he adds some weight and becomes an awesome guard.

2.  DK Metcalf--His measurables are off the charts with the exception of his agility, which was terrible.  He also lacks significant college production.  Personally, I don't see how he warrants first-round consideration.  Even in the Round 2, he is, in my opinion, a prospect with high bust potential.

3.  Brian Burns--He had great numbers at Florida State.  He weighed in at 250lbs which answered a lot of questions.  The long-term question is if he can continue to put on weight allowing him to be a full-time D-Line/Edge player or if he stays at his current weight and transitions to LB similar to Anthony Bar.  He is pretty young but I a transition to LB might be his best path to success.

4.  Marquise Brown--He is absolutely electric and would be a nightmare in the slot but at 168lbs I don't see how he warrants first-round consideration.  At his size, I don't see him being able to handle the punishment that goes with being a full-time WR/RB.  This may sound harsh, but I think he is more of a Round 3 prospect at best.

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we had to sit there and take a guy at #8 or if he's there on a trade down, I think that I could get on board with Jonah Williams as the pick. From all accounts, he could wind up being a very solid tackle or an elite level guard. It's not the sexy pick like a stud pass rusher. However, it is a position of need and we have a big money QB that we need to protect from guys like Donald in the middle. He could also replace Wagner at RT or allow us to move Decker to the right side (depending on the FO's perspective on Decker).

I get the hype around Metcalf - those are elite measurables and there are reasons that some guys are more productive in the NFL than in college. However, there are elite level prospects that will be available in the top 10 with fewer question marks. Metcalf would make more sense in the teens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

If we had to sit there and take a guy at #8 or if he's there on a trade down, I think that I could get on board with Jonah Williams as the pick. From all accounts, he could wind up being a very solid tackle or an elite level guard. It's not the sexy pick like a stud pass rusher. However, it is a position of need and we have a big money QB that we need to protect from guys like Donald in the middle. He could also replace Wagner at RT or allow us to move Decker to the right side (depending on the FO's perspective on Decker).

I get the hype around Metcalf - those are elite measurables and there are reasons that some guys are more productive in the NFL than in college. However, there are elite level prospects that will be available in the top 10 with fewer question marks. Metcalf would make more sense in the teens.

I don't get the hype on Metcalf.  He is strong and sprinter fast but he isn't football fast.  Hard pass for me.  I agree, I would struggle taking him in the second unless his agility drills are top notch at his pro-day. 

I think the most polarizing prospect is Montez Sweat.  A guy who had production, looks good on tape and then dominates the combine.  I like him as an OLB/DE hybrid type and think he has worked his way into the top 10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't get the hype on Metcalf.  He is strong and sprinter fast but he isn't football fast.  Hard pass for me.  I agree, I would struggle taking him in the second unless his agility drills are top notch at his pro-day. 

I think the most polarizing prospect is Montez Sweat.  A guy who had production, looks good on tape and then dominates the combine.  I like him as an OLB/DE hybrid type and think he has worked his way into the top 10. 

I've watched two highlight videos of Sweat - so I will admit that this hasn't been an extensive look. However, I don't see him pop on tape like a guy who runs a 4.41 should. I know there was criticism over his bendiness in some of the agility drills. He's likely to go high and be a good player. I think at this point I'd rather take a Jaylon Ferguson in the 2nd than a Montez Sweat in the top 10. Especially for this Lions team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people criticize Clellin Farrel for lack of bend and I don't think that holds water for him either.  I get the evaluation process but having perfect triangle numbers doesn't make you a good football player.  For example, nobody describes Andrew Whitworth as having elite athleticism but he played LT at a high level for a long time.  

Derrick Johnson had one of the best LB evaluations ever.  He was a good LB but probably not at the level of Derrick Brooks.  Being an awesome athlete isn't the whole picture when it comes to being a football player.  It gives you some extra tools but football IQ counts for a lot.  Check with Dee Ford on the value of football IQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I've watched two highlight videos of Sweat - so I will admit that this hasn't been an extensive look. However, I don't see him pop on tape like a guy who runs a 4.41 should. I know there was criticism over his bendiness in some of the agility drills. He's likely to go high and be a good player. I think at this point I'd rather take a Jaylon Ferguson in the 2nd than a Montez Sweat in the top 10. Especially for this Lions team.

If Sweat is blocked (which happens a bit from what I saw) you can see that speed in a straight line. But he is so stiff. Can’t seem to corner very well. I still think he’s a top 15 prospect in this draft and I’d rather have him than Ferguson in the second personally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Some people criticize Clellin Farrel for lack of bend and I don't think that holds water for him either.  I get the evaluation process but having perfect triangle numbers doesn't make you a good football player.  For example, nobody describes Andrew Whitworth as having elite athleticism but he played LT at a high level for a long time.  

Derrick Johnson had one of the best LB evaluations ever.  He was a good LB but probably not at the level of Derrick Brooks.  Being an awesome athlete isn't the whole picture when it comes to being a football player.  It gives you some extra tools but football IQ counts for a lot.  Check with Dee Ford on the value of football IQ.

I really like Ferrell. I think he’s really explosive out of his stance and technically sound. I know some are down on him but I still think he’s a worthy pick at 8. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't get the hype on Metcalf.  He is strong and sprinter fast but he isn't football fast.  Hard pass for me.  I agree, I would struggle taking him in the second unless his agility drills are top notch at his pro-day. 

I think the most polarizing prospect is Montez Sweat.  A guy who had production, looks good on tape and then dominates the combine.  I like him as an OLB/DE hybrid type and think he has worked his way into the top 10. 

I’d roll the dice in the second but I’m with you. No way I spend a first on him. I think he looks fast on the field but I just don’t think he’s ever going to be able to sink his hips and break off routes. He also sometimes looks like he fights the ball when he catches it. He’s just more of an athlete than football player at this point in my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×