Polarizing Prospects

Just Want A Title

Just got done watching the 2018 highlights on quite a few possibilities at #8. And one stood out over all the others to me. LSU LB Devon White. If he is there at #8 I would select him over anyone else & if an offer for a trade back comes in, it would have to be an offer you can’t refuse! This kid is 20 and is a beast at linebacker. He fills a glaring need on this team. His speed, tackling & reading the other teams offense is excellent. He will be a pro bowler one day & it should be in a Lions Jersey. His blitzing skills are fantastic & if you watch him against Kerryon Johnson in college, he owned him. White is the real deal & a great addition to our D

49 minutes ago, GetDownandDirty said:

Just got done watching the 2018 highlights on quite a few possibilities at #8. And one stood out over all the others to me. LSU LB Devon White. If he is there at #8 I would select him over anyone else & if an offer for a trade back comes in, it would have to be an offer you can’t refuse! This kid is 20 and is a beast at linebacker. He fills a glaring need on this team. His speed, tackling & reading the other teams offense is excellent. He will be a pro bowler one day & it should be in a Lions Jersey. His blitzing skills are fantastic & if you watch him against Kerryon Johnson in college, he owned him. White is the real deal & a great addition to our D

I don't think Devin White is underrated. They're talking about him going as high as #4 to the Raiders. I don't think he's a polished/finished product but he's already a stud and will be scary good with NFL coaching.

6 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't think Devin White is underrated. They're talking about him going as high as #4 to the Raiders. I don't think he's a polished/finished product but he's already a stud and will be scary good with NFL coaching.

He’s definitely a guy that I don’t get the hype. I guess you’ll have to tell me what I’m missing. While I think he’s good I don’t see a top 10 pick. He has too many flaws for me to view him that high. He seems to tackle high. Takes bad angles more often than I’d like. Doesn’t seem to have great instincts and picks the wrong gaps at times. Also over runs quite a few tackles.  To be honest he just seems like Jarrad Davis 2.0. I’ve only seen a little so you’ll have to tell me what I’m missing. 

15 hours ago, Millenhater said:

He’s definitely a guy that I don’t get the hype. I guess you’ll have to tell me what I’m missing. While I think he’s good I don’t see a top 10 pick. He has too many flaws for me to view him that high. He seems to tackle high. Takes bad angles more often than I’d like. Doesn’t seem to have great instincts and picks the wrong gaps at times. Also over runs quite a few tackles.  To be honest he just seems like Jarrad Davis 2.0. I’ve only seen a little so you’ll have to tell me what I’m missing. 

I mean...unlesssssss you live in a cave...I don't think "Karnage84" needs to waste time proving he's a great player...everyone in the entire NFL community agrees he's the best LB in the draft and 100% top 10 worthy.....so maybe you should back up your argument first lmao....based off your assessment, I'd say you're as smart as Millen...hahahahaha.

12 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

I mean...unlesssssss you live in a cave...I don't think "Karnage84" needs to waste time proving he's a great player...everyone in the entire NFL community agrees he's the best LB in the draft and 100% top 10 worthy.....so maybe you should back up your argument first lmao....based off your assessment, I'd say you're as smart as Millen...hahahahaha.

It feels weird to be in a position to be defended by you...

On 4/2/2019 at 11:55 AM, NFL_Fan said:

Yes because the NFL community has never been wrong about a player before. I guess you have never heard the term bust before.

Also I’m seriously asking what I’m missing. I told you the flaws that I saw in the admittedly limit viewing but do you not see those flaws?  Do you think he can over come them?  It’s called a forum for discussion sheesh. It’s like a college campus on here you can’t even have a diverging opinion.  If there is a chance we take this guy I want some one on here to explain why it’s a good pick and what I should be looking at when I go back to watch some tape on the guy. 

9 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Yes because the NFL community has never been wrong about a player before. I guess you have never heard the term bust before.

Also I’m seriously asking what I’m missing. I told you the flaws that I saw in the admittedly limit viewing but do you not see those flaws?  Do you think he can over come them?  It’s called a forum for discussion sheesh. It’s like a college campus on here you can’t even have a diverging opinion.  If there is a chance we take this guy I want some one on here to explain why it’s a good pick and what I should be looking at when I go back to watch some tape on the guy. 

From Daniel Jeremiah's TOP 50 4.0.

White has a thick, sturdy frame and possesses prototypical explosiveness and playmaking skills. Against the pass, he has the speed and agility to cover TEs down the field, and he closes space in a hurry when he's in zone coverage. He has timing and burst as a blitzer. He wins the majority of his 1-on-1s versus running backs in pass protection. Against the run, White brings sideline-to-sideline range, but he will get stuck on blocks once engaged. He has good (but not great) instincts to key/read. However, even when he's a half count late, he makes up for it with his play speed. He is an outstanding, chest-up tackler. Overall, White has what teams are looking for at the position: The ability to run, cover and blitz.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025221/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-40

I did notice myself that sometimes he does get swallowed up by blockers but I think it has to do with him still developing as a player, especially his instincts. Has the physical ability to make up for it though. I don't think White is a finished product but already has a very high floor which makes him a very good prospect.

13 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

From Daniel Jeremiah's TOP 50 4.0.

White has a thick, sturdy frame and possesses prototypical explosiveness and playmaking skills. Against the pass, he has the speed and agility to cover TEs down the field, and he closes space in a hurry when he's in zone coverage. He has timing and burst as a blitzer. He wins the majority of his 1-on-1s versus running backs in pass protection. Against the run, White brings sideline-to-sideline range, but he will get stuck on blocks once engaged. He has good (but not great) instincts to key/read. However, even when he's a half count late, he makes up for it with his play speed. He is an outstanding, chest-up tackler. Overall, White has what teams are looking for at the position: The ability to run, cover and blitz.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025221/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-40

I did notice myself that sometimes he does get swallowed up by blockers but I think it has to do with him still developing as a player, especially his instincts. Has the physical ability to make up for it though. I don't think White is a finished product but already has a very high floor which makes him a very good prospect.

If we take him do you think he plays will or would Davis move over?

I think he plays outside, at least initially.  Patricia's defense is takes time for veterans to learn.  Stefon Gilmore said that that he felt that it took him playing in New England's defense for a year before he fully understood it.  That said, I think whoever ends up in the middle will have to show the best diagnosing/football IQ.  In the long run, that might be Devin White.

10 hours ago, Millenhater said:

If we take him do you think he plays will or would Davis move over?

I think if we do take him that he could take over at MLB with Davis taking over at Jack. JD struggles a bit in coverage but is solid at putting pressure on the QB. DW could also slot in at Will with his 4.42 speed and coverage ability. Kennard isn't a lock to be here after this season and Jones is pretty much a guarantee to be gone next year. If White is the best player available, he would still address a need IMO.

Archived