MLB/MLBPA changes coming in 2019/2020

The Gnat

2 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

The 3 batter rule is absolutely horrendous. If that gets scraped I’m good with everything else.

Nah, I like it. 4 or 5 pitching changes in an inning because a pitcher is incapable of pitching to an opposite handed batter is absurd.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The rest of the changes I'm fine with, but I have no idea why the MLBPA would negotiate any of this. Sends the wrong message.

Can you say "Labor stoppage"

And yeah, the ******* rules committee and Manfred are determined to kill the sport. Attitude among a lot of people at league office is that they have no ******* idea how to really grow the game beyond "MAKE IT FASTER". Contracting the September expansion while also limiting pitching changes is an overwhelming negative for the players, it kills a lot of guys potential careers and potential earnings that they'll never even get a shot. You're literally just begging for more people to get hurt now.

Get ready for a hard clock on games and innings. It's coming.

11 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

And yeah, the ******* rules committee and Manfred are determined to kill the sport. Attitude among a lot of people at league office is that they have no ******* idea how to really grow the game beyond "MAKE IT FASTER". Contracting the September expansion while also limiting pitching changes is an overwhelming negative for the players, it kills a lot of guys potential careers and potential earnings that they'll never even get a shot. You're literally just begging for more people to get hurt now.

The game does need to get faster. It has steadily increased over the last 30 years where each game on average is over 3 hours compared to 2 and a half 30 years ago and 2 hours 40 - 50 years ago. There has been hardly any changes in commercials or breaks surprisingly over that time period. The vast majority of this time is in-inning. Pitchers take too long to pitch, batters step out far too often, too many pitching changes all lead to a game that's just too long and seemingly unnecessary so. No one has over 3 hours to sit and watch a game at home. 

Everyone wants to say they are "killing the sport" but the sport hasn't been like this till very recently. That being said I don't think the time the game takes is the biggest issue plaguing baseball right now but the lack of any personality & terrible marketing to younger generations has been the real reason for baseballs decline. 

12 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yikes.  I hadn't seen that part yet.  I wondered why the Players would have negotiatied the 3 batter rule, which will put a whole lot of LOOGYs on the street.

38 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Yikes.  I hadn't seen that part yet.  I wondered why the Players would have negotiatied the 3 batter rule, which will put a whole lot of LOOGYs on the street.

But for every LOOGY that leaves a player that can pitch to both moves in. It's zero sum from a players perspective. If anything a positive in that it favors ability (being able to pitch to both hands) over accident (which hand happens to be your dominant).

13 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Contracting the September expansion while also limiting pitching changes is an overwhelming negative for the players, it kills a lot of guys potential careers and potential earnings that they'll never even get a shot.

Limiting pitching changes is a zero sum (see my above post).

The limiting of September expansion I like but it makes no sense to me to change the rules right as playoff pushes are beginning. With that said while it takes away an opportunity for some lower guys to surprise to get a closer look it again doesn't change the roster size. If that player loses out then a different player gains. It harms SOME players and HELPS others. It doesn't help or hurt PLAYERS as a whole. No one is making their career as just a September call up year after year. In fact the rule changes also increase the size of rosters by one. So there will be more players than before. The rule changes as a whole are benefit to players as a whole.

16 minutes ago, mse326 said:

But for every LOOGY that leaves a player that can pitch to both moves in. It's zero sum from a players perspective. If anything a positive in that it favors ability (being able to pitch to both hands) over accident (which hand happens to be your dominant).

I'm speaking money-wise, of course.  A LOOGY would still command a couple million annually.  They won't anymore, and will likely find themselves without a job.  Yes, that means an open spot for a AAA reliever that may not have previously had a roster spot, but he'll get paid $500K.  Even more likely is that several AAA type relievers are shuffled in and out over the course of the year.  Teams are scaling back on money for relievers in general, so it's not like the lost LOOGY salary is magically going to find its way to other relievers that are capable of getting both sides out.  It's just not something that a Player's Union would willingly accept.  

Archived