MLB/MLBPA changes coming in 2019/2020

The Gnat

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm speaking money-wise, of course.  A LOOGY would still command a couple million annually.  They won't anymore, and will likely find themselves without a job.  Yes, that means an open spot for a AAA reliever that may not have previously had a roster spot, but he'll get paid $500K.  Even more likely is that several AAA type relievers are shuffled in and out over the course of the year.  Teams are scaling back on money for relievers in general, so it's not like the lost LOOGY salary is magically going to find its way to other relievers that are capable of getting both sides out.  It's just not something that a Player's Union would willingly accept.  

Even if that's true it only hurts the players as a whole if you assume that the owners will just pocket that money rather than spend it on other positions.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Even if that's true it only hurts the players as a whole if you assume that the owners will just pocket that money rather than spend it on other positions.

Isn't that the most likely outcome at this stage, though?  It certainly will be the position the players take, after the past 2 offseasons.

15 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Isn't that the most likely outcome at this stage, though?  It certainly will be the position the players take, after the past 2 offseasons.

Those are separate arguments. There is a difference between teams are lowering payroll and teams are lowering how much they pay one position but keeping the rest the same just to make money. This current situation is teams saying we are lowering payroll as a whole. That doesn't mean extra savings at one position won't be put to other positions as long as it stays within this new payroll.

Example
A team that used to spend $200M on salary is now saying we will only pay $175M. That isn't dependent on new positional requirements that may lessen the value of a certain position
A team that spends $200M now with less value to relievers says we can now spend $10M less on them so we'll only spend $190M and pocket the rest

Those are not the same. The current climate is the first scenario. But you can't then extrapolate that scenario 2. They aren't the same.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

giphy.gif

Yes because I don't subscribe to owners are be definition bad. Some are but plenty of owners have spent more than they had to. You have no proof that all of them will resort to that. Might it? Sure. But it isn't a certainty. And they do have another position to pay (because of roster expansion).

Oh and of course the MLBPA is certainly welcome to negotiate a salary floor which I absolutely support.

I think you guys are missing the point as to the true value LOOGYs have. They are unintentionally hilarious and add exponentially to a roster. Let's take Dan "The Whitesnake" White, one of my college teammates into consideration (I was a catcher):

1. 5'11, 210, not an athletic bone in his body. Body composition of a sack of feathers, but a sack of feathers that isn't even full all the way full

2. He couldn't break glass with his fastball. When we made fun of him and his lack of velocity, this culminated into our ACE pitcher taking off his glove, throwing the ball with his opposite hand (his left hand), and being clocked on the JUGS machine a full 3 MPH faster than our LOOGY's top out. *Raucous laughter*

3. Gave up the most majestic 450+ foot homerun I've ever seen. The only thing that stopped it from coming down was the 100 foot tree in the background of the CF fence...incredible.

4. Once tried to barehand a line-drive hit back to him at about 120 mph. He didn't catch it, broke two fingers, and then refused to come out of the game, despite him attempting to prove his health to our coach and the umpire with 11 warm up throws that couldn't have gotten more than 48 feet.

5. Dialogue like this:

The Whitesnake: I'm not going to lie...if someone would have put me into contact with someone who sold steroids as a freshman, I'd have bought them.

Teammate: Whitey, steroids make good baseball players into great ones. They don't take no talent *** clowns and make them into good baseball players

*Fistfight ensues*

Whitey's face was swollen for a week

6. Epic Mound visits like this:

Background: Saturday non conference throwaway game. Whitey gets the rare start since we were out of arms and had 4 conference games on Monday/Tuesday. He proceeds to give up 8 consecutive hits to start the game (we are the home team)

*Coach strolls out to the mound*

Coach: Whitey, give me the ball

The Whitesnake: *WHINES* But coach...come on coach...coach, I'M NOT EVEN TIRED YET!

Coach: Well, your outfielders sure are! Give me the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Whitey goes to the end of the dugout and pouts for the next week*

Tell me how this rule is going to possibly make the game better.

SAVE THE LOOGY!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're forgetting that the name LOOGY is hilarious. If we called the 4th OF Bench Outfielder Needed Every Roadtrip, I'd want a special roster spot to defend the BONER.

BTW, a fun game we made up (catching bullpens is THE WORST):

You can tell how athletic/not athletic a pitcher is when you throw a seed right at his waist, glove side. Athletic pitchers won't even blink as they extend their glove hand and invert their glove to effortlessly catch the ball. LOOGYs like "The Whitesnake" will jump out of the way, have it hit their wrist/palm, drop drop the ball, and fall off the entire indoor mound at least 50% of the time.

Also, yes, we had a point system.

On 3/15/2019 at 7:12 AM, Spartacus said:

The game does need to get faster. It has steadily increased over the last 30 years where each game on average is over 3 hours compared to 2 and a half 30 years ago and 2 hours 40 - 50 years ago. There has been hardly any changes in commercials or breaks surprisingly over that time period. The vast majority of this time is in-inning. Pitchers take too long to pitch, batters step out far too often, too many pitching changes all lead to a game that's just too long and seemingly unnecessary so. No one has over 3 hours to sit and watch a game at home. 

Everyone wants to say they are "killing the sport" but the sport hasn't been like this till very recently. That being said I don't think the time the game takes is the biggest issue plaguing baseball right now but the lack of any personality & terrible marketing to younger generations has been the real reason for baseballs decline. 

This problem would be solved if each relief pitcher inserted mid inning didn't get any warmup pitches on the mound and they didn't have a commercial break. Its really that ****ing simple. 

Also, if they want to attract younger fans, they need to get their own 'redzone' channel that jumps around and shows the best moments from each game. It would go a long way in marketing their stars as well. 

Alienating your core fanbase, to go after a younger generation that all have ADHD and simply don't have the patience for a slow game seems silly. 

13 hours ago, N4L said:

This problem would be solved if each relief pitcher inserted mid inning didn't get any warmup pitches on the mound and they didn't have a commercial break. Its really that ****ing simple. 

Also, if they want to attract younger fans, they need to get their own 'redzone' channel that jumps around and shows the best moments from each game. It would go a long way in marketing their stars as well. 

I can get behind both of these.

Isn't there some other way to limit all of the reliever changes besides the three-batter rule? I get what they're going for, because mid-inning pitching changes get boring as hell in the later innings, but couldn't they just limit the number of warm-up pitches or something? Right now the reason that it takes so long is because you have to watch the manager walk out there, get the ball, watch the reliever trot in from the outfield, and then spend a couple of minutes warming up. 

Send that guy in there on a cart, make the manager make the decision as soon as he steps out of the dugout, and don't give them so many warm-up pitches. Boom. Saves the same amount of time but still allows strategic bullpen management. 

It will be interesting to see how this impacts lineups, though. Teams are going with the sabermetric lineup construction, but might that change with this? There would be some value (I'm not sure) in trying to go R-L-R-L throughout your lineup to limit the effectiveness certain relievers. You might also see more pinch hitters or less platooning I suppose. 

Archived