Jason Verrett signs with SF

SBLIII

8 hours ago, N4L said:

We didn't want to commit to him for the long term, so we overpaid him in the short term. We have the same flexibility with almost everyone on our team. 

The upside is there for sure. He's undersized but explosive

Yeah, I don't see the upside.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don't see any way that Alexander lives up to the contract. If you stack the money in Year 1 and make it cheap in Years 2 through 4, he might end up sticking around. As it is structured, the guy will have to show something he hasn't to this point in his career to stick imo.

I think it is fair to say he stays on the team for at least two years right? Unless he is just terrible, hard to  see him getting cut after a season. But if he is, at least the team has an easy out there.

But are you saying he should be making maybe 20M in year one and then years 2-4 around 8-9M? Like structure the deal that way? Because really it's the same thing no? He will still end up making around the same for two years regardless of how you structure it. All the team could hope for is to not be hindered long term with any deal they make. And in this case, the team will be fine if they have to part ways with Alexander after a year or two. 

46 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think it is fair to say he stays on the team for at least two years right? Unless he is just terrible, hard to  see him getting cut after a season. But if he is, at least the team has an easy out there.

But are you saying he should be making maybe 20M in year one and then years 2-4 around 8-9M? Like structure the deal that way? Because really it's the same thing no? He will still end up making around the same for two years regardless of how you structure it. All the team could hope for is to not be hindered long term with any deal they make. And in this case, the team will be fine if they have to part ways with Alexander after a year or two. 

Yeah, I mean it's basically the same, but the perception will be different.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I mean it's basically the same, but the perception will be different.

What would the perception be though? I mean I wouldn't mind structuring the way you proposed, but essentially it ends up being the same thing. Give or take, he's making around 27-28M in the likely two years he plays on this contract. Like I said, all you can ask for as a team is to be able to get out of a contract sooner rather than later if need be. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What would the perception be though? I mean I wouldn't mind structuring the way you proposed, but essentially it ends up being the same thing. Give or take, he's making around 27-28M in the likely two years he plays on this contract. Like I said, all you can ask for as a team is to be able to get out of a contract sooner rather than later if need be. 

Let's say Alexander is good but not great in 2019. Then, in 2020 and beyond, you don't have people looking at his cap number and saying, "Cut him because he's not worth $X this year." For the purposes of the cap, the differences aren't overly significant. If you only see yourselves keep him for one year, it's smarter to do it your way. If you think he'll stick for the entire contract, I think my way is better. But it is what it is.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Let's say Alexander is good but not great in 2019. Then, in 2020 and beyond, you don't have people looking at his cap number and saying, "Cut him because he's not worth $X per year." For the purposes of the cap, the differences aren't overly significant. If you only see yourselves keep him for one year, it's smarter to do it your way. If you think he'll stick for the entire contract, I think my way is better. But it is what it is.

Yeah, if he sticks for four years? Definitely, but I just see this as a two year deal. By the third year he is either cut or restructures his deal to stay on the team. 

On 3/14/2019 at 6:45 PM, jrry32 said:

Giving yourself an out after one year doesn't change the issues with the deal. How is Alexander going to live up to a deal that treats him like an elite LB? He's never been close to that.

Actually it kind of does.

7 minutes ago, Hopper15 said:

Actually it kind of does.

Bad decisions aren't cleared off the ledger just because you were smart enough not to make it worse. You can get credit from being able to correct mistakes - it doesn't remove the mistake. I think that is largely what Jrry is talking about. 

Though I suppose it depends on what context you are talking about. If it's just the contract on it's own, I have no problem with the way its structured. Is he going to "live up to" the Contract? That's an uphill battle for sure, but I think the one year out does help. If you're talking about targeting that particular player for a huge payday, that's another issue. 

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The issue with the deal wasn't that guaranteed money. It was the valuation.

yeah, we overpaid him. There is no doubt that he is overpaid next year, but flexibility is something you have to pay for, and the fact we can walk away after year one with no dead space is something that makes this deal palatable. 

Hes not a bad player. Not worth 14 million or anywhere close to it. Not sure why our front office felt the kneed (pun intended) to give him so much cash after a knee injury, but that's what they did

Archived