Jason Verrett signs with SF

SBLIII

16 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

It does help to read the details. After year one, it's not hard to cut ties if we need to. :D

Giving yourself an out after one year doesn't change the issues with the deal. How is Alexander going to live up to a deal that treats him like an elite LB? He's never been close to that.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Giving yourself an out after one year doesn't change the issues with the deal. How is Alexander going to live up to a deal that treats him like an elite LB? He's never been close to that.

When you have the cap space the 9ers do, one year isn't going to hurt.

8 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

When you have the cap space the 9ers do, one year isn't going to hurt.

If that's the plan, why did they not put a ridiculous amount of money in Year 1 and then make him cheap to keep in Years 2 through 4?

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Is this ignorance or stubbornness? niners had ton of cap space, utilized it to perfection and if kwon cant progreess then they cut him next year with next to no dead space. 

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Master? No contract that pays Alexander that much money is team friendly or the work of a master. xD

It's a great signing. Definitely worth the risk.

I mean the man doesn't decide who Lynch/Shanny sign, he just does what he can with the contract lol. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean the man doesn't decide who Lynch/Shanny sign, he just does what he can with the contract lol. 

I still would have structured it differently if I am right that y'all have a ton of cap. But I was pushing back on the idea that the contract was somehow not bad. It's a bad deal. But it is what it is. Rams handed out plenty of those in the past too.

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I still would have structured it differently if I am right that y'all have a ton of cap. But I was pushing back on the idea that the contract was somehow not bad. It's a bad deal. But it is what it is. Rams handed out plenty of those in the past too.

What would you have done differently? Gives the player good money up front and gives the team an out after year one if it doesn't work out. 

I personally don't think too much of the player so I rather them not sign him. But the contract itself is fine. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What would you have done differently? Gives the player good money up front and gives the team an out after year one if it doesn't work out. 

I personally don't think too much of the player so I rather them not sign him. But the contract itself is fine. 

I don't see any way that Alexander lives up to the contract. If you stack the money in Year 1 and make it cheap in Years 2 through 4, he might end up sticking around. As it is structured, the guy will have to show something he hasn't to this point in his career to stick imo.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

We didn't want to commit to him for the long term, so we overpaid him in the short term. We have the same flexibility with almost everyone on our team. 

The upside is there for sure. He's undersized but explosive

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

DAMMIT GAINE!!! DO YOUR JOB!

So, apparently Verrett had a scheduled meeting with the Texans yesterday but didn't bother after the 49ers visit. 

Still upset, bit can't force someone to come in.

Archived