49ers Sign CB Jason Verrett

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, 48 1/2ers said:

There was news a couple months back about how the 49ers were revamping their Medical/Strength and Conditioning Personnel, it doesnt look like we have to wait a long time before we determine how smart of investment that was. 

I love this signing. I wonder if it means DJ Reed is going to get continued looks at FS because i thought he played well enough last year to get a chance to start in the secondary in some capacity. 

Yeah, I thought Reed did a killer job playing Slot when he was filling in for Williams. But yes, new medical staff we be tested with a lot of our players including Verrett

1 minute ago, Forge said:

In fairness, I don't know if anyone can stop verrett from getting hurt lol. With some guys, it's just unavoidable. Genetics and all that

Tell me about it. I just sneezed and felt like I broke my collarbone.

regarldes this is a perfect signing. He’s going to push the rest of the corners to get  into shape or go away. If he does manage to even stay healthy for 3/4 season, it’s huge.

5 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I love this signing. I wonder if it means DJ Reed is going to get continued looks at FS because i thought he played well enough last year to get a chance to start in the secondary in some capacity

Fwiw, verrett had played outside corner his entire career. Had never been a slot corner. Obviously, we will probably try and give him time there because of versatility and all, but verrett himself shouldn't effect what we do with Reed. If we keep giving him time at fs, I think it's just because they view him as having talent there. He will probably continue to do both, though I prefer him in the slot. I imagine one more year of Williams then we will move on and Reed will have his shot

1 minute ago, Forge said:

In fairness, I don't know if anyone can stop verrett from getting hurt lol. With some guys, it's just unavoidable. Genetics and all that

reading through his wiki, it sounds like he played through some stuff he shouldnt have. Its crazy considering how much these guys invest in their bodies but the initial diagnoses and treatment seems like where the situations get screwed up the most. 

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh yeah, another injured player we signed.

Who's next?? Tyler Eifert? 

Honestly, I'm kind of in on eifert. I wouldn't hate that signing as a te 2, Red zone Target. 1 year, 4 million or something? Nothing wrong with that

17 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

There was news a couple months back about how the 49ers were revamping their Medical/Strength and Conditioning Personnel, it doesnt look like we have to wait a long time before we determine how smart of investment that was. 

I love this signing. I wonder if it means DJ Reed is going to get continued looks at FS because i thought he played well enough last year to get a chance to start in the secondary in some capacity. 

Reed was drafted as a nickel corner but got playing time at FS because they thought he had the skills for it. I think he looked much better as a corner and his college film showed that as well. I hope they just keep him at nickel and make Kwaun Williams earn his playing time this year. 

I don't think Verrett has any impact on Reed as Verrett is an outside corner. 

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Reed was drafted as a nickel corner but got playing time at FS because they thought he had the skills for it. I think he looked much better as a corner and his college film showed that as well. I hope they just keep him at nickel and make Kwaun Williams earn his playing time this year. 

I don't think Verrett has any impact on Reed as Verrett is an outside corner. 

You're probably right, i was making some assumptions based on who we've signed but I missed that we also brought back Exum.

I think very highly of Reed wherever he lines up FS, Nickel, even outside CB. 

40 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Hard to complain about this move at this price tag. Hopefully he can get on the field and stay healthy. If I'm the FO I am not done with the CB position. Relying on Verrett's ability to stay healthy would be a huge mistake. 

I think they're relying on him to push Witherspoon and add starting caliber depth more than him to being the answer opposite Sherman. Verrett has to prove he can stay healthy if he wants to see decent money in 2020 and we get a high level starter for a year in case Witherspoon can't shake his sophmore slump. I think the brass still sees Witherspoon as the future. But having Verrett is great fall back plan just in case he can't hack it. And if Verrett proves to be head and shoulders better, we can always look to re-sign him next year. I'm interested in seeing if they have a plan for having all three on the field and maybe moving Verrett to the slot in nickel.

Like most, happy with the player and hope he stays healthy. I also wanted Verrett that year.

But I really don't know about our 'make sure 90 generally injured guys are on the roster and just keep the 53 healthy ones in September' free agency strategy. 

41 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Like most, happy with the player and hope he stays healthy. I also wanted Verrett that year.

But I really don't know about our 'make sure 90 generally injured guys are on the roster and just keep the 53 healthy ones in September' free agency strategy. 

What's the saying go? Two negatives multiplied equal a…… positive? So a team snake bitten by injuries in the last few years is going after snake bitten players in hoping they would finally be healthy? 

Damn Lynch and Shanny are geniuses……. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I'm kind of in on eifert. I wouldn't hate that signing as a te 2, Red zone Target. 1 year, 4 million or something? Nothing wrong with that

I wanna say Eifert has already been signed, but I could be wrong? But I agree we need another red zone target. If we are in the market for trading for injury prone receivers, why not AJ Green? 

Edit - Whoops wrong Tyler...Kroft got signed not Eifert

7 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

If Sherman and Verrett start at outside corner does that mean we put Witherspoon in the slot? 

No. Witherspoon may be the third CB on the field when we go nickel but he's strictly a boundary player. Either Verrett goes inside in that instance or Williams is the nickelback and Witherspoon is strictly the back-up@outside CB in that scenario.

But Verrett played in the slot as a rookie and Im certain he can do it. Just have to see how it all plays out at this point. Too early to tell..

Archived