HaHa Clinton-Dix

dll2000

So Bears are interested in Haha and offering him something as I type this.  Washington is also reportedly interested so who knows if he will be a Bear or how much he will cost at this time.  May come out while I am typing.

So watching him at Texans playing for Washington and I'm thinking how does PFF grade safeties that play like this on a play by play basis?  They have him lined 20 yards deep playing cover 1 or 2 most of time and Texans just don't go his way for 98% of game.  

Most of these plays are nulls.  Meaningless for grading.   I digress. 

So I watched all his plays now for one game.  I usually watch 3 and give an opinion, but I am short on time right now.

So they 'attacked' him once in passing game the whole game.  Dix was playing deep and Hopkins sat in shallow middle zone and caught a pass.  Dix quickly closed and immediately forced a fumble and recovered it.   Great play.  

He had another play you could credit or blame him for.  Looked like a blown coverage to me by someone.  Crossing route all the way across and with underneath wash no way anyone could have covered it especially since he started the play deep and outside.  Still only a 13 yard gain because he is fast.  

He tackles soft, but gets job done.  One time he took a bad angle on a long run, but still had speed to make play exactly where he would have had he taken good angle.  I can see how that could bite you against a player faster than he is.

So coverage is an incomplete because Washington plays him so bloody conservatively.  Whenever he is deep safety he is really deep and that is most of time.  Just not enough reps to make a decision or assessment on his coverage ability.  

He does fine against run, not exceptional, but fine.  Adequate.  He never got beat or got past once.  

Washington article saying he plays stiff, I have to disagree.  He is a fast athlete that covers a lot of ground.    Faster than Amos.

Still just one game.  See if I can squeeze another in.  

Okay watched GB v. Redskins week 3.

Haha still with GB at this time.  Confused at first because wears a different number.  21 for GB. 20 for WA.  You can recognize him though because he never plays with his mouthpiece in.  Not sure why he has it.  

Again playing mostly deep and not being attacked.

When he does play closer he still tends to play off.  

Got beat to outside in flat hesitating for a beat.  Tough play, I don't fault him much on that one.

Got beat by Reed who outsized him and then missed the tackle.  Bad play by Dix here - might be one of those plays Packers fans remember not fondly. 

Next time he is attacked - INT.  Badly thrown ball by Smith, but how many times you see those get dropped by DBs?  Twice now he has had hands on a ball and twice he has came up with a turnover.  That's a big plus in my book.  Turnovers are huge.

He has had some tackles.  Aside from Reed play no misses.

Ran down A. Peterson from other side of field and forced him out of bounds.  Good angle.  Dix is fast.  Looks like he is fastest player on GB and Wash. defense on grass with pads.

Hard slant to Crowder with Dix playing safety cover 1.  Crowder has his man beat and Dix declines huge collision that probably would have been mostly with his own guy trailing the play and may or may not have dislodged the ball.  Touchdown.  Probably another play that makes Packers fans hate him.  No safety could have covered that as ball was thrown on time with velocity, but he did decline the hit.

I think it was one of those hits that would likely have resulted in injury to him and/or his teammate and possible get a penalty.  Still most attempt it.  Probably a contract year play.  Won't make fans love you that's for sure.

Later -

Dix playing cover 1.  Smith has all day to throw.  Deep ball on far right sideline and Dix can't get there because 3 guys are running deep and he has to keep an eye on all 3.  Almost no one can or does, Jackson does amazingly enough, but with aid of less time for QB.  Dix does force play out of bounds.   Big play.  Another play Packers hate him for.  I think that one is unfair.  He did all he could.  Without pass rush that would have been a super human play from middle of field.

Alright I have to stop here and say whoever 29 is for Packers is sucks donkey testicles.  That guy is causing a lot of problems.  He can't cover nada.  Bears need to write that down if he still on the team or wherever he goes.  He doesn't belong in NFL.  See 29 throw it at him every play until they take him out of game.  One of those things that can make other guys look bad trying to make up for him.

Later -

Finally not playing Dix in deep cover 1.  3rd and 10 and 29 is deep in cover 1.  Everyone is playing off.   Dix is on left slot vs 4 wide.  Blanket coverage.  Perfect by Dix.  Forces incomplete pass.

I think GB is learning to get 29 somewhere where he can hurt them less.  At least for this game.  

Makes another tackle on Peterson.  Takes a false step but runs him down exactly where he should have.  

Conclusion from two games:

Dix is an athlete.  He is not a physical football player and isn't going to make a heroic hit that may kill him, but he doesn't miss many tackles or only one that I have seen on a player that outweighs him by 50 lbs in open field.  Can take false steps on break away runs, but gets job done because of his speed.  

I think big thing to note that he can generate turnovers if tested.  He plays mostly FS so playing up more would be interesting and make take some reps.

He is definitely faster and has better hands than Amos.  He isn't nearly as physical, but Amos misses quite a few tackles.  Dix tackling doesn't always look pretty, but he gets guys on the ground.

FWIW since we're into his actual scouting I'll post his draft scouting report here.

Not blindingly fast but good speed for a Safety and his 3 cone and shuttle times were very good.

I highlighted some things in red that say he can certainly play as a SS covering TE, Slot WR, and RBs and at least in college his run support and tackling skills were not suspect but he also has weaknesses he'll have to overcome playing as a SS.

He played in some kinda crappy defenses in GB and apparently didn't fit well in Pettine's defense either.  Washington couldn't have been too unhappy with him.  They traded a 4th round pick for him and wanted him back.  HHC-D is also the 3rd former 1st round pick Pace has added to the defense either via FA or trade plus we have three of our own, Fuller, Floyd, and Smith.  Half the defense is former 1st round picks.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/haha-clinton-dix?id=2543470

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

FS  Alabama

Photo of Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Rating: 6.1 ?
6.00-6.49 Should become instant starter
  • 4.58 SEC/40
  • 11 REPS
  • 33.0 INCH
  • 119.0 INCH
  • 7.16 SEC/3 Cone
  • 4.16 SEC/20 yd shuttle*
    Top Performer *
  • 11.63 SEC/60 yd shuttle *

Analysis

Strengths

Nice size and body length. Quick to read and react. Has speed and flexibility to match up with slot receivers or tight ends. Ranges off the hash. Good hands to intercept. Effective run supporter -- drops downhill with conviction and does not shy from contact. Takes direct angles to the ball. Runs the alley and wipes out ball carriers. Secure tackler. Can break down and tackle in space. Has special-teams experience. Well-coached in a pro-style defense.

Weaknesses

Has a narrow build and lacks ideal bulk. Could stand to get stronger. Occasionally gets stuck on blocks. Could stand to iron out his pedal. Does not always play with abandon -- plays conservatively at times and can be late fitting in the run game or getting off the hash. Average ball production and playmaking ability. Not as natural in the box. Not an intimidating presence. Started just 19 games.

10 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

You started this thread after Windy already made the thread about signing HaHa, and you're the only one that has posted in it haha

I started it at work.  Got calls I had to take.  Was watching film and didn't finish until I finished watching all his plays in the game.  Then I submitted.  In meantime the news broke and a thread was started unbeknownst to me.  

I predicted that may happen.  Hopefully, people got something out of my 2 game scouting.  May do another one, but probably not.  I think I know what he is as a talent now.

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Really green question here, but if you have two safeties who fit more as free safeties, is it possible to pay an inside linebacker deeper to support them, or do you just give away the run then?

I think you may have it backwards.  Free safety types are weaker against run and better in pass.  SS safeties are more physical types, but typically weaker in coverage.  2 good FS types on field don't need deep LB support.   In old Tampa 2 Lovie made famous in Chicago with Urlacher they play cover 2 as a cover 3 with MLB dropping and covering middle deep.  Maybe you are thinking of that.   

Sorry if you already know this, but someone reading may not, when I say cover 1, 2, 3, 4 (just think of that as dividing deep part of field).  Cover 1 has all deep sideline to sideline.  Cover 2 has half, Cover 3 as a 1/3, 4 a 1/4.   Fangio plays a lot of cover 4 on long yardage.  It is a conservative call and vulnerable to screens.  

Generally safeties are just safeties too.  Not free or strong.  Especially against modern offenses.  This is true because offenses can dictate matches ups with formation, motion, personnel and/or route concepts.  A S is usually only a true free in cover 1 man under defenses and a safety in literal use of the word.  There just to prevent a long score because QBs will attack opposite which ever way Safety leans, the read is almost always to outside somewhere the safety can't get to.  Special guys like Jackson can actually make plays from that spot, but that is very rare.

10 hours ago, soulman said:

FWIW since we're into his actual scouting I'll post his draft scouting report here.

Not blindingly fast but good speed for a Safety and his 3 cone and shuttle times were very good.

I highlighted some things in red that say he can certainly play as a SS covering TE, Slot WR, and RBs and at least in college his run support and tackling skills were not suspect but he also has weaknesses he'll have to overcome playing as a SS.

He played in some kinda crappy defenses in GB and apparently didn't fit well in Pettine's defense either.  Washington couldn't have been too unhappy with him.  They traded a 4th round pick for him and wanted him back.  HHC-D is also the 3rd former 1st round pick Pace has added to the defense either via FA or trade plus we have three of our own, Fuller, Floyd, and Smith.  Half the defense is former 1st round picks.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/haha-clinton-dix?id=2543470

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

FS  Alabama

Photo of Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Rating: 6.1 ?
6.00-6.49 Should become instant starter
  • 4.58 SEC/40
  • 11 REPS
  • 33.0 INCH
  • 119.0 INCH
  • 7.16 SEC/3 Cone
  • 4.16 SEC/20 yd shuttle*
    Top Performer *
  • 11.63 SEC/60 yd shuttle *

Analysis

Strengths

Nice size and body length. Quick to read and react. Has speed and flexibility to match up with slot receivers or tight ends. Ranges off the hash. Good hands to intercept. Effective run supporter -- drops downhill with conviction and does not shy from contact. Takes direct angles to the ball. Runs the alley and wipes out ball carriers. Secure tackler. Can break down and tackle in space. Has special-teams experience. Well-coached in a pro-style defense.

Weaknesses

Has a narrow build and lacks ideal bulk. Could stand to get stronger. Occasionally gets stuck on blocks. Could stand to iron out his pedal. Does not always play with abandon -- plays conservatively at times and can be late fitting in the run game or getting off the hash. Average ball production and playmaking ability. Not as natural in the box. Not an intimidating presence. Started just 19 games.

He plays a lot faster than 4.58 on film.  Much more like a 4.4 player.  

He has game speed.  

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think you may have it backwards.  Free safety types are weaker against run and better in pass.  SS safeties are more physical types, but typically weaker in coverage.  2 good FS types on field don't need deep LB support.   In old Tampa 2 Lovie made famous in Chicago with Urlacher they play cover 2 as a cover 3 with MLB dropping and covering middle deep.  Maybe you are thinking of that.   

No, I have it forwards but explained it backwards... that's clearer right?

What I'm asking is, if you have 2 safeties who are both playmakers but nor sure tacklers,  do you play your ILBS deeper in run defense, or does that give up too much up front to the run?  

I'm trying to see what the downside is of having two FS types

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Sorry if you already know this, but someone reading may not, when I say cover 1, 2, 3, 4 (just think of that as dividing deep part of field).  Cover 1 has all deep sideline to sideline.  Cover 2 has half, Cover 3 as a 1/3, 4 a 1/4.   Fangio plays a lot of cover 4 on long yardage.  It is a conservative call and vulnerable to screens.  

Generally safeties are just safeties too.  Not free or strong.  Especially against modern offenses.  This is true because offenses can dictate matches ups with formation, motion, personnel and/or route concepts.  A S is usually only a true free in cover 1 man under defenses and a safety in literal use of the word.  There just to prevent a long score because QBs will attack opposite which ever way Safety leans, the read is almost always to outside somewhere the safety can't get to.  Special guys like Jackson can actually make plays from that spot, but that is very rare.

I think your answer above was worth more than the original question!

43 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I started it at work.  Got calls I had to take.  Was watching film and didn't finish until I finished watching all his plays in the game.  Then I submitted.  In meantime the news broke and a thread was started unbeknownst to me.  

I predicted that may happen.  Hopefully, people got something out of my 2 game scouting.  May do another one, but probably not.  I think I know what he is as a talent now.

I enjoyed them, good to learn more about his playing style, nice work @dll2000

23 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

No, I have it forwards but explained it backwards... that's clearer right?

What I'm asking is, if you have 2 safeties who are both playmakers but nor sure tacklers,  do you play your ILBS deeper in run defense, or does that give up too much up front to the run?  

I'm trying to see what the downside is of having two FS types

I think your answer above was worth more than the original question!

LBs won't get deeper or play closer based on strength of S tackling ability.  That is not their problem and there really isn't much they can do about it.  Also, note Dix is not really a poor tackler.  He gets job done.   He is just not a hard hitter.  He has shown that he will decline a huge collision to preserve himself.

LBs like all off LOS players will typically play deeper on longer yardage.  Otherwise they play at whatever depth allows them to see over line into the backfield.  5 yards or so.  Sometimes they creep up to LOS.  Purpose of that is two fold.  1) They are blitzing and that shortens distance to QB.  2) They are faking a blitz and want to screw up OL count.  

What is OL count?  There are like 5 different ways or schemes OL use to account for all players in box.  They all use variations of a count typically starting with identifying the Mike (MLB) or sometimes the nose and radiating out.  It can change assignments with power/gap or trap plays, but still will use a count. 

So each player knows who they are blocking based on their scheme.  Center has 0 man.  Each guard has 1.  Tackle has 2.  TE or Back has 3 or no one has 3 and QB is responsible via a read, boot or getting ball out.  If a player is shaded or stacked with a LB they will start to block LOS player with eyes on the off player and switch off depending which way off LOS player goes.  Also true if down player is just a stud and OL needs help to get started.

Back to part 2) of LB faking a blitz.  If you put 2 LBs in A gaps for example it screws up the line count.  They call that 'sugar' usually.  Most of time OL has to count it both ways they see if blitz comes and if it doesn't they auto go back to if LBs where in spots they should have been.

If you guys want to learn in depth schemes and concepts they have Glazier clinics in Chicago twice a year.  Or they used to.  I think they have it online now too.

It is designed for hs coaches, but vast majority of schemes and concepts are same for every level of football save little league and some can be used in little league too.  I used some in little league.  It is harder, but can be done.

If you volunteer for a little league org. the clinics are free.  

I learned RPOs like 7 years ago.  NFL is actually really behind here on all stuff you can do with them.  Catching up fast of course, but they would be wise to swallow pride and go sit and meet with some top HS coaches who have been running it for decades.

HS coaches aren't dumber because they coach HS.  Some are smarter than any or most NFL coaches.  

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He plays a lot faster than 4.58 on film.  Much more like a 4.4 player.  

He has game speed.  

I think that's what we're seeing because I tend to agree with you.  Also his instincts and short area quickness are rated high.  It's only his long speed where his college scouting reports indicate he's not "elite" yet his football intelligence and athleticism more than likely compensate for it.  The same has been written about Eddie Jackson yet he shows no problem in deep coverage getting to his cover or in breaking on throws in front of him.

Neither C-Dix or Jackson are gonna come up and hit like a LB and no one can go all "Jack Tatum" on downfield receivers anymore but nothing about his scouting reports or your game reviews indicate the guy is a poor tackler.  He's just not a "banger" and with his build that's probably a good thing. It keeps him off the IL and IR on the field where he can do some good.  Our pass coverage is gonna take a leap forward with C-Dix vs Amos.

More from his college scouting reports.

Clinton-Dix projects to the NFL as a free safety who will be an asset in pass coverage. He is a superb center fielder who picks up receivers running deep and prevents long pass completions. Clinton-Dix has the size to cover big receivers with the quickness and athleticism to run with speed targets. With his coverage ability, he can play some man coverage and should be a good safety to cover receiving tight ends and slot receivers. Those kind of safeties are in demand and Clinton-Dix fits the bill.

Clinton-Dix has good ball skills and should produce good interception totals as a pro. Head coach Nick Saban groomed Clinton-Dix well as he is very intelligent. Clinton-Dix doesn't get caught out of position and knows which receivers to pick up. He's instinctive and has play-making ability.

For run defense, Alabama mostly used Sunseri and Lester as the program's in-the-box safeties with Clinton-Dix lined up deep. That should stay the same for him as a pro, but he has the size and strength to tackle in the box. In run defense, Clinton-Dix made a lot of clutch tackles for the Crimson Tide to stop runs at the second level rather being busted downfield for huge gains. He kept a lot of points from being scored for his team.

I dunno know what GB fans were expecting of him but it seems to me that his characteristics as a pro match well with his play at "Bama.  If your front 7 defense is weak against the run and you need a 220lb "in the box" 8th man "banger" he's not your guy.  That may have been a need for them but it's not for us. 
And as you've pointed out these day facing more 3 WR schemes and big fast receiving TEs you need Safeties who can cover them and C-Dix has that kind of ability enough so to even play as a Slot CB if needed.  We may lose a little in "toughness" vs Amos but we're gaining a lot better cover guy. JMHO

Archived