Golden Tate signs with Giants

49erurtaza

If the Giants add a reasonably good receiver in the draft, this could be a talented pass catching group. If they add Hakeem Butler at 17 and take Haskins at 6, this would be a solid offense next year. I don't think that's a popular take, but I'll stand by it. I like Engram a lot as well.

This move makes sense if you plan to add a rookie QB. Just because you probably won't be contending with a rookie QB and poop defense doesn't mean you don't want to try to get as much help as possible for him ASAP. You can't tell me guys like Rosen or Goff benefited much at all from their rookie years, beyond adjusting to life as a professional and how to handle themselves.

8 hours ago, Danger said:

Gotta know the $$$$$$

Do comp picks go based off of AAV or total $?

8 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This !!!!!!

please say the Giants PAID him!!!!

8 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Gotta get dem comp picks baby! 

It would be a 5th round, but you guys signed Malik, so right now you arent in line for any comp pick (I think). 

9 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

This is addition by subtraction, adding a player while removing him from a division rival. Eagles fans must feel terrible knowing their team gave up a draft pick for a guy who bounced within the division.

Not really.  They attempted  to add a weapon for a Back to Back run, knowing that if he left in FA, a Comp pick of a 3rd, 4th or 5th was coming back a year later if jot resigned. They had other players more important in mind instead. Makes perfect sense TBH.

Just didn't lead to B2B SB.

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

This move makes sense if you plan to add a rookie QB. Just because you probably won't be contending with a rookie QB and poop defense doesn't mean you don't want to try to get as much help as possible for him ASAP. You can't tell me guys like Rosen or Goff benefited much at all from their rookie years, beyond adjusting to life as a professional and how to handle themselves.

Exactly you've got to give your QB something to work with so that he can develop. That's important you gotta have some talent around him I really like the move honestly and I also believe Shepard can produce on the outside. 

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If the Giants add a reasonably good receiver in the draft, this could be a talented pass catching group. If they add Hakeem Butler at 17 and take Haskins at 6, this would be a solid offense next year. I don't think that's a popular take, but I'll stand by it. I like Engram a lot as well.

With Odell instead of solid we could’ve had a very good one. 

44 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

With Odell instead of solid we could’ve had a very good one. 

Fair, but I also understand why teams want to "reload" and reprioritize, especially if the FO had "issues" with him, whatever they were. 

You're basically getting:

1. Beckham 

vs

Tate

10 million for a player

Peppers on his rookie deal

Pick 17

Pick 95

I do think Beckham is excellent and the giants may regret this if they don't draft well at those spots. But that's like 5 players for the price of 1, which for a team that feels very far away may not be the worst thing in the world.

If you can replace his production with tate plus a good rookie in a deep class, the giants may be able to fill positional needs across the board and strengthen the team as a whole. I think it could work out for both sides.

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

It would be a 5th round, but you guys signed Malik, so right now you arent in line for any comp pick (I think). 

you couldn't be more wrong.

1. Malik Jackson was cut by the jags so he he doesn't count
2. You're forgetting about Nick Foles, and Jordan Hicks

16 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

What is the point in this signing?  They’re rebuilding, this signing does nothing for them.

Assuming they spend a pick on a premium QB (like Haskins), surrounding him with talented, veteran receivers is a good step in terms of nourishing his development. I have no issue with the Giants spending money on offense whether or not they are in a rebuild.

Though I'm not sure why they decided to spend on a receiver who's best from the slot with Sterling Shepherd in the fold.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

you couldn't be more wrong.

1. Malik Jackson was cut by the jags so he he doesn't count
2. You're forgetting about Nick Foles, and Jordan Hicks

Foles isnt going to count for a comp pick is he? He was a contract buy out. 

People expect the Giants to do absolutely nothing after trading OBJ 😂 OBJ and the team ran their course which is unfortunate for the Giants, but they have moved on, they haven’t sold the franchise people....they still have 16 regular season games to play next year which is tough for some to comprehend 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Foles isnt going to count for a comp pick is he? He was a contract buy out. 

Incorrect. Eagles picked up his option and he opted out. Howie put weird language terminology to essentially play the cap while giving Nick Foles a raise. Foles actually paid back $2 Million to become a free agent and opt out of the Eagles opting in. Though both parties knew this would be the case before the season even began.

Archived