Raiders Release AJ Macarron

bucksavage1

18 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

I just didn't like how we traded for him knowing that he'd be making this much as a backup. 

Rather wouldn't have gave up the 5th and just went with EJ for the year is what I'm saying. 

I get that and I partly I agree in the sense that the pick could turn into anything or not. I think Gruden wanted insurance at the position in a guy he like in case Carr went down. Gruden doesn't strike me as a guy that doesn't thoroughly scout his QBs so him feeling better with AJ is my other side of it.

4 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Blake Bortles? 😂

I thought that to myself earlier but was too scared to say it haha.

Would that be the first time a QB was backing up a guy that was draft lower than him in the same draft?

Im sure it not. I just can't think of any off hand.

33 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I thought that to myself earlier but was too scared to say it haha.

Would that be the first time a QB was backing up a guy that was draft lower than him in the same draft?

Im sure it not. I just can't think of any off hand.

RG3 benched for Cousins? Also the 49ers Giovanni Carmazzi in the third round didn't beat out 7th rounder Tim Rattay to back up Jeff Garcia, mostly mentioned when NFL Network talks about Tom Brady draft and Marriucci brings up he drafted Giovanni in the 3rd and Brady went 6th and Rattay in the 7th. The SF example might not work because neither was a starter and Giovanni did nothing and I dont think even made the team?

14 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

AJ took 12 snaps. I know I can't make a determination on that many plays on how I'd rather have. Especially in a new system. I like EJ too but it's not like he was good or something to warrant us keeping him.

The 5th round draft pick would have warranted us keeping him over McCarron in my estimation, especially as there seems to be very little to choose between them performance wise. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the performance of EJ when I saw him, seemed quite competent which is all you really can expect in a backup QB. I guess I just don't understand trading for a backup QB as they can regularly be picked up off the scrap heap for reasonable money and are quite plentiful usually. It's not like either of these guys are the coaches of the QB room who help a young QB learn the ropes like some teams use an experienced vet for.

27 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

The 5th round draft pick would have warranted us keeping him over McCarron in my estimation

huh?

we spent a 5th on AJ.

either way the salary was the factor imo. We had the room last year to get this guy that Gruden clearly seen something in. We don't this year. Gruden clearly didn't like what he saw from EJ.

We'll see how he handles the backup position this year.

12 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

huh?

we spent a 5th on AJ.

either way the salary was the factor imo. We had the room last year to get this guy that Gruden clearly seen something in. We don't this year. Gruden clearly didn't like what he saw from EJ.

We'll see how he handles the backup position this year.

Keeping the 5th round pick would have warranted me keeping EJ over McCarron. I don't think McCarron is wortha  5th rounder over a guy who I thought looked ok (for a backup).

I get that Gruden probably liked his skill set or saw something in him that he preferred over EJ but with so many holes created we could have gotten a player that actually could have participated and been a ST contributor, with all the IR designations toward the end of the year he may well have got game time if he was a DL or OL. I'm concerned we seemed so carefree with throwing away picks for McCarron and Bryant last year on a whim.

46 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Keeping the 5th round pick would have warranted me keeping EJ over McCarron. I don't think McCarron is wortha  5th rounder over a guy who I thought looked ok (for a backup).

I get that Gruden probably liked his skill set or saw something in him that he preferred over EJ but with so many holes created we could have gotten a player that actually could have participated and been a ST contributor, with all the IR designations toward the end of the year he may well have got game time if he was a DL or OL. I'm concerned we seemed so carefree with throwing away picks for McCarron and Bryant last year on a whim.

They are risks, yes. But if Carr goes down or Bryant has a clean year then you look at it different.

Easy to judge now with hindsight but I get it concern.

Carr does seem to miss time every year so backup is a concern especially when that backup is Nathan Peterman *shudder* i don’t particularly like cutting McCarron especially since Roberts is still on the roster. 

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

They are risks, yes. But if Carr goes down or Bryant has a clean year then you look at it different.

Easy to judge now with hindsight but I get it concern.

You are correct that it's easy to judge now no doubt.

If i recall correctly though, I think most of us thought a 3rd for Bryant was too much during the draft and one of the reasons was the odds of him putting his past behind him and being entirely clean or at least not getting suspended and of course my opinion is that if Carr had gone down then I'd have been confident EJ would have played approximately as well as McCarron. Thankfully we didn't find out to any extent :)

Archived