Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bucksavage1

Raiders Release AJ Macarron

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Not really. We've made a lot of calculated moves to improve the team long-term. We traded away two players that weren't contributing to winning here and due for big pay days so we could add draft capital and rebuild the team's core. 

I must be reading this incorrectly.........the best edge defender in the NFL who had as many sacks as the entire team was not contributing to winning? He would have made at least 3 wins difference last year alone IMHO. Now, I can see that you may be saying the 3 players we add instead plus the cap space could provide better value but doubtful that a couple rookies would help us more than a defensive MVP candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I must be reading this incorrectly.........the best edge defender in the NFL who had as many sacks as the entire team was not contributing to winning? He would have made at least 3 wins difference last year alone IMHO. Now, I can see that you may be saying the 3 players we add instead plus the cap space could provide better value but doubtful that a couple rookies would help us more than a defensive MVP candidate.

What I thought too. He also thinks it wasnt shocking either

Edited by bucksavage1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I must be reading this incorrectly.........the best edge defender in the NFL who had as many sacks as the entire team was not contributing to winning? He would have made at least 3 wins difference last year alone IMHO. Now, I can see that you may be saying the 3 players we add instead plus the cap space could provide better value but doubtful that a couple rookies would help us more than a defensive MVP candidate.

We were 28-34 in the 4 seasons we had Khalil Mack, had a winning record 1 season, and our defenses ranked 21st, 22nd, 26th, and 23rd during that stretch.

Pair that with the fact that Mack’s record contract would’ve severely limited our cap flexibility and no Mack wasn’t going to contribute to winning here. The Bears just lost Amos and already had to restructure Mack’s contract with a rookie QB making peanuts. 

The only way we would’ve been able to afford paying Mack, Carr, and Cooper was if we had a bunch of solid to good starters on rookie contracts. Reggie McKenzie drafted terribly so the core of our team sucked. Gruden realized this and decided to maximize Mack/Cooper value, clear cap space, and add a ton of draft capital. 

I think we’re in a better spot to build a winner now then we were when Gruden arrived. 

Would you rather have Amari Cooper, Khalil Mack, our own 2 first round picks in 2019/2020 or AB, Trent Brown, Joyner, Williams, and 6 picks in the top 35 in 2019/2020?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Reggie McKenzie drafted terribly so the core of our team sucked.

# 1 problem to date

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2019 at 3:35 PM, NYRaider said:

We were 28-34 in the 4 seasons we had Khalil Mack, had a winning record 1 season, and our defenses ranked 21st, 22nd, 26th, and 23rd during that stretch.

Pair that with the fact that Mack’s record contract would’ve severely limited our cap flexibility and no Mack wasn’t going to contribute to winning here. The Bears just lost Amos and already had to restructure Mack’s contract with a rookie QB making peanuts. 

The only way we would’ve been able to afford paying Mack, Carr, and Cooper was if we had a bunch of solid to good starters on rookie contracts. Reggie McKenzie drafted terribly so the core of our team sucked. Gruden realized this and decided to maximize Mack/Cooper value, clear cap space, and add a ton of draft capital. 

I think we’re in a better spot to build a winner now then we were when Gruden arrived. 

Would you rather have Amari Cooper, Khalil Mack, our own 2 first round picks in 2019/2020 or AB, Trent Brown, Joyner, Williams, and 6 picks in the top 35 in 2019/2020?

Ah, I see what you’re getting at. I disagree though, Mack was a huge piece of our 2016 season successes, he greatly impacted the results of a number of games and would in future. What we needed to do was utilise the elite talent and compliment it with good value free agents and draft picks. Cooper was a good trade for us I feel. We did not get better by getting rid of Mack, we have the potential to add a few more young potential players who may or may not pan out and the space to add a couple overpriced free agents like Joyner and Williams. There is a misnomer that if we had Mack we couldn’t sign any players, we could with good cap management and in fact we’d have enough room right now to add that contract even with AB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 8:35 AM, NYRaider said:

We were 28-34 in the 4 seasons we had Khalil Mack, had a winning record 1 season, and our defenses ranked 21st, 22nd, 26th, and 23rd during that stretch.

Pair that with the fact that Mack’s record contract would’ve severely limited our cap flexibility and no Mack wasn’t going to contribute to winning here. The Bears just lost Amos and already had to restructure Mack’s contract with a rookie QB making peanuts. 

The only way we would’ve been able to afford paying Mack, Carr, and Cooper was if we had a bunch of solid to good starters on rookie contracts. Reggie McKenzie drafted terribly so the core of our team sucked. Gruden realized this and decided to maximize Mack/Cooper value, clear cap space, and add a ton of draft capital. 

I think we’re in a better spot to build a winner now then we were when Gruden arrived. 

Would you rather have Amari Cooper, Khalil Mack, our own 2 first round picks in 2019/2020 or AB, Trent Brown, Joyner, Williams, and 6 picks in the top 35 in 2019/2020?

Mack is not supposed to be sole responsible for how many wins we have, but he was responsible for saving many games for us in those 4 seasons that would have been loses!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×