Yes!! Maurice Harris, wide receiver, 1-year

DoleINGout

38 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The stats say he was a garbage player in Washington.  We’ll see what he can do with good coaching. 

None of him or Ellington are locks to make the roster if we only intend to carry 4 true receivers.

Dorsett and Edelman will, Gordon more likely than not will and the Pats are probably drafting a receiver in the first 4 rounds as well which would be another lock to make it.

8 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

??? He played one season, was Top-5 in the NFL in YAC above expectation, and then never played again. I don't get what you're trying to say here.

In general I remember Malcolm Mitchell making an impact by being reliable on third down along the sideline, coming back to the football and frequently getting pushed out of bounds or tackled. In the second half of his breakout year, I my recollection was that Mitchell already had begun experiencing limitations because of his bad knees and by the Super Bowl was mostly just a possession receiver that fell backwards or pushed upfield against contact. I don't recall Mitchell getting a lot if screens or juking guys for extra yards unless catching a pass in relatively wide open space which would be more of a product of play design and coverage breakdown a la Chris Hogan's majority of YAC for example.

I missed this one the first time, but this is kind of ridiculous. Pierre Garçon hasn't played for Washington in 2 years and isn't even on an NFL team right now.

Harris was a rookie on the Redskins roster in 2016 when Pierre Garçon was the starter. My point was that the Redskins have had a glut of similiar level #2 and #3 receivers since Harris joined their team; he was a rookie caught in the shuffle of losing opportunities to tenured veterans at his position. I attribute a lot of his lack of opportunities to the timing and situation of the Redskins roster. Harris seems at best like a reliable #3 receiver if a team wanted to use him as such which the Redskins never really did because their personnel was always crowded with guys who have similar strengths and weaknesses as well as overall talent level. Garçon, Jamison Crowder, Ryan Grant, Brian Quick, Josh Doctson, Terrell Pryor, Paul Richardson, Michael Floyd, and Maurice Harris are all kind of around the same level and the Skins franchise has clearly been trying to hit on free agent vets at a modest value that can provide something different but none of them can.

???????????????

sub·jec·tive
/səbˈjektiv/
adjective
based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

You're opinion of me not valuing statistics is subjective. I'm glad you copy and pasted the defintion here.

Edited by DoleINGout

1 hour ago, PatriotsWin! said:

After watching/reading more into Harris I can't say I see him as any more than just a camp body. I hope we have a better plan  at WR than this guy. We better nail this draft :S

agreed about the draft. Trade is also a possibility.

• 5 months later...

Back in the middle of March, the Patriots signed Maurice Harris. At the time, Josh Gordon was presumably done for good, again. Demaryius Thomas didn't sign until mid April a couple weeks before the draft and was an afterthought once he seriously injured his Achilles tendon late last December. Cameron Meredith signed even later. No one really expected N'Keal Harry to slide to the Patriots nor for them to select him once the draft occurred. Jakobi Meyers going undrafted was also unexpected but turned into good fortune for the Patriots as they reached a contract agreement.

Based on the player Harris is, I was excited by the fit both in personality, character, and skill with the Patriots.

Four hours ago, the Patriots announced the release of Harris. Despite a strong camp, I saw the writing on the wall in after the first two pre-season games. Although successful in general, there were some drops in key situations that I thought signaled the end. Then, against the Titans, an injury.

At this point, I'm sure Harris will land with another team and serve as a quality backup for part of the season. Unfortunately for him perhaps, it won't be on the defensing Super Bowl Champions.

Edited by DoleINGout

On 3/15/2019 at 10:26 AM, DoleINGout said:

If they replace Chris Hogan with Randall Cobb and return with Edelman and Dorsett plus Maurice Harris that is already an improvement from last year. Throw in the wild cards of Josh Gordon, Braxton Berrios, Bruce Ellington and a rookie or two then maybe by the end of 2019 their receiving corps will be considered relatively "good".

Saving face a little here. At least I was mostly right, (before Demaryius Thomas was signed).

Edited by DoleINGout