49ers sign Jordan Matthews WR

49erurtaza

Was just about to post this. I'm assuming that it's super low cost, nearly no money involved. He's mainly a big slot guy, I don't think he plays on the outside much, so I'm honestly not sure he makes the squad if Taylor is back to full health and James improves. A competition move. I like it though. He's still somewhat young and has had success in the NFL to some degree. Some really god awful hands though. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Was just about to post this. I'm assuming that it's super low cost, nearly no money involved. He's mainly a big slot guy, I don't think he plays on the outside much, so I'm honestly not sure he makes the squad if Taylor is back to full health and James improves. A competition move. I like it though. He's still somewhat young and has had success in the NFL to some degree. Some really god awful hands though. 

What i like most is that he is a totally different player than both those guys are gives some extra options and different match-ups.

I actually like this. I wanted Matthews when his rookie deal was up like 2 years ago(or was it last year?) Think he's a good fit@the Z. He's long with speed. And he can work from the slot to give us a different wrinkle there. He struggled with drops early in his career and he has some durability concerns(seems to be a running theme this off-season) but he could really shine in Shanny's scheme. 

12 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

meh, okay by me.

Would have rathered a 1 yr swing at Chris Conley or Cody Latimer... but it's whatever. Just low key insurance and competition for a spot.

That's how I feel. I actually think that he has an uphill battle to make the roster, especially if we take a wide receiver in the second round.  Will need to perform well in OTAs / TC / Preseason, I Think. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's how I feel. I actually think that he has an uphill battle to make the roster, especially if we take a wide receiver in the second round.  Will need to perform well in OTAs / TC / Preseason, I Think. 

Just having looked at NN21's depth chart on the other thread, I'd say Goodwin, Pettis, and rookie WR will be the only three WRs that are pretty safe locks for a spot. All the others will have quite a fight for a spot.

6 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Just having looked at NN21's depth chart on the other thread, I'd say Goodwin, Pettis, and rookie WR will be the only three WRs that are pretty safe locks for a spot. All the others will have quite a fight for a spot.

For sure. I think if Taylor is healthy, he's probably the next closest thing to a "lock", but his back problems and play last year are concerning. I think it will really depend on how well Matthews plays inside and out. If he can play reasonably well at the Z, and slide into a bit slot role? That will be huge toward making the roster in my opinion. 

Just now, Forge said:

How many WRs did we carry last year?

Right now we have pettis, Goodwin and Richie james locked into three spots. Bourne is probably going to make it and I don't see them getting rid of Taylor unless his back issue is a permanent one. That's five. Yeah I guess if we draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd that we probably wont have the space I guess

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

For sure. I think if Taylor is healthy, he's probably the next closest thing to a "lock", but his back problems and play last year are concerning. I think it will really depend on how well Matthews plays inside and out. If he can play reasonably well at the Z, and slide into a bit slot role? That will be huge toward making the roster in my opinion. 

I don't think anyone is safe outside of Pettis and Goodwin on the current roster. Really have to see where WR is slotted in the draft pecking order to determine the fate of the rest . If we don't address WR in the first three rounds then it may be a good sign for guys like Matthews, Bourne, and Taylor...

Archived