Depth Chartin'

Cheech

23 hours ago, Cheech said:

I just wanted to check out where the depth chart was at in order to predict what might still happen in UFA and how that might impact the draft.  The guys that are bolded I wouldn't bat an eye if they were on the final 53.  The rest are guys gunning for a few spots.  Right now I have 44 that I would start the season with.  Of course, nothing is given.  Williams could be cut tomorrow if they find a FS replacement.  Lewis is no sure thing to make the final 53.  I still find it interesting, though, that with 10 draft picks in hand, this roster is very close to being balanced and a roster with very few glaring holes.  

I could easily see another safety added as well as (hopefully) Breeland at CB.  I'd take Matthews back for ILB/EDGE depth in a heartbeat.  I love how the moves made on Tuesday have opened the draft up substantially.  I still hope that we can get an EDGE, TE, and S in the first 3 picks - just because it seems like the talent is there in the top 50.  But now I really wouldn't be terribly upset if CB, DL, or OT taken on Day 1 or 2 either.  

Offense: 22

QB: Rodgers, Kizer, Boyle

WR: Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ, Kumerow, Moore, Davis, Lazard

TE: Graham, Lewis, Tonyan, Draft pick

RB: Jones, Williams, Vitale, Draft pickCarson, Bibs

OT: DB, Bulaga, Spriggs, Light, Draft pick

IOL: Taylor, Linsley, Turner, McCrayDraft pick, Patrick, Pankey, Sarigusa

Defense: 19

IDL: Clark, Daniels, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Looney, Simon

EDGE: Smith, Smith, Fackrell, Draft pick, Draft pick, Gilbert, Brown, Donnerson

ILB: Martinez, Burks, Crawford, Draft pick

CB: Alexander, King, Jackson, Brown, Draft pick, Jamerson, Redmond

S: Amos, Williams, J Jones, Greene, Draft pick, Draft pick

ST: Scott, Crosby, Bradley  (3)

Nice work, Thanks!

“I think in Matt’s system, a lot of the outside zone stuff requires those guys to be a little bit more athletic, get off the spot a little bit more,” Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst said

"I think what we want to do is we really want to assemble our offense through the running game." - LaFleur

On whether there’s anything he’s looking for specifically in offensive linemen to match his running scheme: “Certainly there’s a movement skill you’re looking for from those guys up front to implement that outside zone scheme." - LaFleur

“What we want to do is assemble or offense through the running game. It think it takes a lot of pressure off the quarterback,” the new Packers coach said Wednesday.

“We want to have plays that start off looking the same, that are different.”

“(The outside zone) basically sets up everything,” said Adam Stenavich, LaFleur’s offensive line coach and a Shanahan assistant with the San Francisco 49ers the last two years. “All the different blocking combinations and schemes, everything is tied into it. If you can make that go, then everything else opens up off of it.”

Just a collection of quotes from the Packers staff about the offensive line. The common theme is "movement" and "athleticism".

I looked at the combine/proday measurements of all our interior OL. Pankey and Siragusa were overall the best ones. Turner surprisingly didn't have the best 3-cone and shuttle but his size and straight line speed is legit. Patrick is fairly athletic. Lane Taylor and Justin McCray were the worst athletically and they are our current "starters". Our starting guards does not match what the Packers staff are saying about the OL. That for me and coupled with the signing of Turner is a big clue to what they may think of Taylor and McCray.

Whats interesting to note is that Taylor, Pankey, Siragusa and Patrick main position is left guard. So we have lots of competition there. I know everyone is ready to annoint Turner as right guard but his best NFL performances has come at left guard - maybe we haven't found our new right guard just quite yet.

I think it is unrealistic to expect LaFleur to keep the exact same offensive starters as last year and for them to continue being our starters in the new offence. That's just simply not going to happen. LaFleur is going to mold the offence in his image with a strong emphasis on the OL and running game. In my opinion I think we will have completely new guards in both spots- Lane Taylor and McCray will be relegated/cut. There's a chance we will have a brand new #2 WR.  We may have a new fullback. LaFleur is going to prioritise the run game too but there's a chance he doesn't love Jones and Williams as much as we do and may want to draft his own RB. I expect our offence to look fairly different next season - especially on the OL at least.

Just on the off chance I had a look at Quinton Spain, an OL who LaFleur had last year who is currently a FA. He would be an upgrade over nearly all of our guards from a measurement standpoint. Experience-wise he has played 50 games, starting 48 of them at left guard. His downside is his lack of versatility which probably why we chose to sign Turner, maybe we can still land him at a much discounted price later on in free agency.

• Like 3

I'm going to spitball here so bear with me. Also, this is my take on where the 90 going into camp will sorta look like...

Offense: 22

QB: Rodgers, Kizer, Boyle, UDFA

RB: Jones, Williams, Vitale, Carson, Bibs, Coleman, Johnson, UDFA, UDFA

WR: Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ, Kumerow, Moore, Davis, Lazard, Redding, Draft Pick(slot),  UDFA, UDFA

TE: Graham, Lewis, Tonyan, Draft pick, Baylis

OT: DB, Bulaga, Spriggs, LightDraft pick, de Beer, UDFA, UDFA

IOL: Taylor, Linsley, Turner, McCrayPatrick, Coyle, Pankey(swing guy), Siragusa, Draft Pick, UDFA, UDFA, UDFA

Defense: 19

IDL: Clark, Daniels, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Draft Pick, Looney, Simon, Fadol Brown, Cotton, UDFA

EDGE: Smith, Smith, Fackrell, Draft pick, Draft pick, GilbertBrown, Donnerson, Sheldon, UDFA, UDFA

ILB: Martinez, Burks, Crawford, Draft pick, CMIII(rotates to EDGE) UDFA, UDFA

CB: Alexander, King, Jackson, Brown, Draft pick, Jamerson, Redmond, UDFA, UDFA, UDFA

S: Amos, Williams, J Jones, Greene, Draft pick, Draft pick, Tray Matthews, Thompson, Pleasant, UDFA, UDFA, UDFA

Edited by Joe
Removing Jake Ryan

5 hours ago, Chili said:

Whats interesting to note is that Taylor, Pankey, Siragusa and Patrick main position is left guard. So we have lots of competition there. I know everyone is ready to annoint Turner as right guard but his best NFL performances has come at left guard - maybe we haven't found our new right guard just quite yet.

I think it is unrealistic to expect LaFleur to keep the exact same offensive starters as last year and for them to continue being our starters in the new offence. That's just simply not going to happen. LaFleur is going to mold the offence in his image with a strong emphasis on the OL and running game. In my opinion I think we will have completely new guards in both spots- Lane Taylor and McCray will be relegated/cut. There's a chance we will have a brand new #2 WR.  We may have a new fullback. LaFleur is going to prioritise the run game too but there's a chance he doesn't love Jones and Williams as much as we do and may want to draft his own RB. I expect our offence to look fairly different next season - especially on the OL at least.

Just on the off chance I had a look at Quinton Spain, an OL who LaFleur had last year who is currently a FA. He would be an upgrade over nearly all of our guards from a measurement standpoint. Experience-wise he has played 50 games, starting 48 of them at left guard. His downside is his lack of versatility which probably why we chose to sign Turner, maybe we can still land him at a much discounted price later on in free agency.

Perhaps Taylor moves to RG? I remember we flipped Sitton and Lang one year and that seemed to work well for the most part. The fact that Spain hasn't been signed is very telling IMHO. Something tells me that we hit this area hard Day 3. If we DO go ahead and employ a FB role, perhaps Irv Smith Jr. may be an early selection given his experience as an H-Back; he and Ingold have similar numbers from the combine though Smith is a tick faster in the 3-cone and 20 yard shuttle and blows Ingold away in the 40. Wouldn't mind having both players, however.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:57 AM, smetana34 said:

Three? There isn't even a clear path to playing time for one guy, let alone three. The turner signing means there isn't a starting role, and with Spriggs still the swing tackle, I'll be pissed if we spend three picks on the line when we have numerous holes elsewhere

Is another WR a better use for Round 7?  I just want depth in an area that seems injury riddled every year...   Plus, maybe a little competition.   Maybe two... I could live with two.  ;-)

1 hour ago, Starchisaga said:

Is another WR a better use for Round 7?  I just want depth in an area that seems injury riddled every year...   Plus, maybe a little competition.   Maybe two... I could live with two.  ;-)

We have holes at safety and te, and need depth realistically everywhere. Im on board with an early pick at OL. But three would be excessive with our needs elsewhere 

• 4 weeks later...

QB: Aaron Rodgers | DeShone Kizer | Tim Boyle (3)
RB: Aaron Jones | Jamaal Williams | Kapri Bibbs | Tra Carson | Lavon Coleman | Dan Vitale (FB) | Malcolm Johnson (FB) (8) 
WR: Davante Adams | Marquez Valdes-Scantling | Equanimeous St. Brown | Geronimo Allison | J'Mon Moore | Jake Kumerow | Trevor Davis | Allen Lazard | Teo Redding (9)
TE: Jimmy Graham | Marcedes Lewis | Robert Tonyan Jr. | Evan Baylis (4)
OL: David Bakhtiari | Bryan Bulaga | Corey Linsley | Lane Taylor | Billy Turner | Jason Spirggs | Cole Madison | Lucas Patrick | Justin McCray | Nico Siragusa | Adam Pankey | Alex Light | Gerhard de Beer | Anthony Coyle (14) 

(15)/29

DL: Kenny Clark | Mike Daniels | Dean Lowry | Tyler Lancaster | Montravius Adams | Fadol Brown | James Looney | Deon Simon (8)
EDGE: Preston Smith | Za'Darius Smith | Kyler Fackrell | Reggie Gilbert | Kendall Donnerson | Brady Sheldon | Eric Cotton (7) 
ILB: Blake Martinez | Oren Burks | James Crawford (3)
CB: Jaire Alexander | Kevin King | Tramon Williams | Josh Jackson | Tony Brown | Natrell Jamerson | Will Redmond (7)
S: Adrian Amos | Josh Jones (HYB) | Raven Greene | Tray Matthews | Jason Thompson (5)

(17)/30

ST: Mason Crosby | JK Scott | Hunter Bradley (3)

just an updated depth chart. we're sitting at 62. with 10 draft picks. with no movement we'd have room for 18 UDFAs. 

• 3 weeks later...

RB: Aaron Jones | Jamaal Williams | Kapri Bibbs | Tra Carson | Lavon Coleman | Dan Vitale (FB) | Malcolm Johnson (FB) (7) 
WR: Davante Adams | Marquez Valdes-Scantling | Equanimeous St. Brown | Geronimo Allison | J'Mon Moore | Jake Kumerow | Trevor Davis | Allen Lazard | Teo Redding (9)
TE: Jimmy Graham | Jace SternbergerMarcedes Lewis | Robert Tonyan Jr. | Evan Baylis (5)
OL: David Bakhtiari | Bryan Bulaga | Corey Linsley | Lane Taylor | Billy Turner | Elgton JenkinsJason Spirggs | Cole Madison | Lucas Patrick | Justin McCray | Nico Siragusa | Adam Pankey | Alex Light | Gerhard de Beer | Anthony Coyle (15) 

DL: Kenny Clark | Mike Daniels | Dean Lowry | Tyler Lancaster | Montravius Adams | Fadol Brown | James Looney | Deon Simon (8)
EDGE: Preston Smith | Za'Darius Smith | Rashan GaryKyler Fackrell | Reggie Gilbert | Kendall Donnerson | Brady Sheldon | Eric Cotton (8) 
ILB: Blake Martinez | Oren Burks | James Crawford (3)
CB: Jaire Alexander | Kevin King | Tramon Williams | Josh Jackson | Tony Brown | Natrell Jamerson | Will Redmond (7)
S: Adrian Amos | Darnell Savage Jr.Josh Jones (HYB) | Raven Greene | Tray Matthews | Jason Thompson (6)

ST: Mason Crosby | JK Scott | Hunter Bradley (3)

Edited by FinneasGage
  • Like 1

RB: Aaron Jones | Jamaal Williams | Dexter Williams | Kapri Bibbs | Tra Carson | Lavon Coleman | Dan Vitale (FB) | Malcolm Johnson (FB) (8) 
TE: Jimmy Graham | Jace Sternberger Marcedes Lewis | Robert Tonyan Jr. | Evan Baylis (5)
OL: David Bakhtiari | Bryan Bulaga | Corey Linsley | Lane Taylor | Billy Turner | Elgton Jenkins Jason Spirggs | Cole Madison | Lucas Patrick | Justin McCray | Nico Siragusa | Adam Pankey | Alex Light | Gerhard de Beer | Anthony Coyle (15) 

3+8+9+5+15=40

DL: Kenny Clark | Mike Daniels | Dean Lowry | Tyler Lancaster | Kingsley Keke | Montravius Adams | Fadol Brown | James Looney | Deon Simon (9)
EDGE: Preston Smith | Za'Darius Smith | Rashan Gary Kyler Fackrell | Reggie Gilbert | Kendall Donnerson | Brady Sheldon | Eric Cotton (8) 
ILB: Blake Martinez | Oren Burks | James Crawford | Ty Summers (4)
CB: Jaire Alexander | Kevin King | Tramon Williams | Josh Jackson | Tony Brown | Ka'Dar Hollman | Natrell Jamerson | Will Redmond (8)
S: Adrian Amos | Darnell Savage Jr. Josh Jones (HYB) | Raven Greene | Tray Matthews | Jason Thompson (6)

9+8+4+8+6=35

ST: Mason Crosby | JK Scott | Hunter Bradley | Sam Ficken (K) (4)

40+35+4=79

We have room for 11 UDFA's 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

RB: Aaron Jones | Jamaal Williams | Dexter Williams | Kapri Bibbs | Tra Carson | Lavon Coleman | Dan Vitale (FB) | Malcolm Johnson (FB) (8) 
TE: Jimmy Graham | Jace Sternberger Marcedes Lewis | Robert Tonyan Jr. | Evan Baylis (5)
OL: David Bakhtiari | Bryan Bulaga | Corey Linsley | Lane Taylor | Billy Turner | Elgton Jenkins Jason Spirggs | Cole Madison | Lucas Patrick | Justin McCray | Nico Siragusa | Adam Pankey | Alex Light | Gerhard de Beer | Anthony Coyle (15) 

3+8+9+5+15=40

DL: Kenny Clark | Mike Daniels | Dean Lowry | Tyler Lancaster | Kingsley Keke | Montravius Adams | Fadol Brown | James Looney | Deon Simon (9)
EDGE: Preston Smith | Za'Darius Smith | Rashan Gary Kyler Fackrell | Reggie Gilbert | Kendall Donnerson | Brady Sheldon | Eric Cotton (8) 
ILB: Blake Martinez | Oren Burks | James Crawford | Ty Summers (4)
CB: Jaire Alexander | Kevin King | Tramon Williams | Josh Jackson | Tony Brown | Ka'Dar Hollman | Natrell Jamerson | Will Redmond (8)
S: Adrian Amos | Darnell Savage Jr. Josh Jones (HYB) | Raven Greene | Tray Matthews | Jason Thompson (6)

9+8+4+8+6=35

ST: Mason Crosby | JK Scott | Hunter Bradley | Sam Ficken (K) (4)

40+35+4=79

We have room for 11 UDFA's 

Couple of minor disagreements with you. I think Tonyan is more of a lock than Lewis. He actually provides something in the pass game and Lewis contract is a non-starter as to if he could be cut or not from a financial standpoint. 

I don't put Tramon Williams as a lock, but he probably does stick with the team. Tony Brown is no lock! :D

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 6:28 PM, Cheech said:

Guys that are bold make the 53.  The number behind the position indicates how many I think we'll keep.  The positional versatility that Gute has added to the roster is really intriguing.  We have quite a few swing OL who can play just about any spot.  We have front 7 players who can play inside or out. We have safeties that can play ILB, and DB's that can play slot or single high.  

Offense: 25

QB: (3) Rodgers, Kizer, Boyle

WR: (6) Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ, Kumerow, Moore, Davis, Lazard - The first four are set.  Not sure who we have as a PR/KR, so Davis might have yet another chance to pull his hammy in the first 2 weeks.  I don't see us keeping 7 with more TE use this year.  

TE: (4) Graham, Lewis, Tonyan, Sternberger - I think sans injury, this group is set. 

RB: (4) Jones, Williams, Vitale, WilliamsCarson, Bibs - Same here.  First four should make it

OT: (4) DB, Bulaga, Spriggs, LightNijam - It sounds as if Nijam was a draftable player.  He and Light might be fighting for the 4th OT spot.  Position flexibility will be huge.  It could be that Light, Madison, McCray, etc. will be battling for the swing OL spots.  

IOL: (5) Linsley, Turner, Jenkins, Taylor, Madison, Patrick, McCray, Pankey, Sarigusa - Taylor's spot is no longer a lock, IMO.  I'm not sure he has the quickness to run ZBS, and if Jenkins or Turner take his spot, we can save 8m in cap space over the next two seasons.  Madison returning also doesn't help his cause.  

Defense: 25

IDL: (6) Clark, Daniels, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, KekeLooney, Simon - I like Keke as a SDE in a 4-3 look, but I think they will throw him just about anywhere.  This group is going to be fun to watch.  They have the guys to run whatever front Pettine wants to run at any given time.  

EDGE: (5) Smith, Smith, Fackrell, Gary, Gilbert, Brown, Donnerson - I still like Gilbert as a 5th/6th EDGE player.  But his days could be numbered.  

ILB: (4) Martinez, Burks, Crawford, Summers - Probably our least talented position group, but the front 4 should keep them relatively clean and hopefully allow smaller, quicker players like Burks and even Josh Jones to make plays.  

CB: (6)  Alexander, King, Jackson, Williams, Brown, Hollman, Jamerson, Redmond, Brooks - I guess Tramon is supposed to play more CB again this year.  He really struggled at times last year, though.  I really wanted another CB/S for Pettine to throw on the field since he really likes to use 3 of them on the field at once.  Trading up for Savage and missing the opportunity to take Hooker in the 4th is the one thing that I really didn't like about the draft.  

S: (4) Amos, Savage, J Jones, Greene  - I just hope Savage is worth it.  Yes, he's fast.  But if he diagnoses plays like Josh Jones, the speed doesn't do jack ****.