Titans release Josh Kline

titans0021

8 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I still think the first 2 picks should be used on defense and if that is true I don’t feel great about a 3rd round pick starting

Why? Mid round rookie OL start a good amount in this league and start right away and have done well. It happens every year.

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Why? Mid round rookie OL start a good amount in this league and start right away and have done well. It happens every year.

Just not a believer in the coaches to get someone ready to play.

Levins been in the league a few years now he’s not ready

Stinny isn’t the answer 

Conklin regressed could be due to injury well see though

Ben Jones regressed the last 2 years

7 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

I like how people just assume a tackle switching positions to guard is as simple of a transition as it would be to go on Madden and edit the position from RT to RG, and that its guaranteed the guy picks it up / performs better inside. Lol.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000643329/Jack-Conklin-2016-Combine-Workout

please look at his movement abilities and tell me he couldn’t be a great Guard. I think Guard would fully take advantage of his strengths (mauling run blocker) and mitigate his weaknesses (speed rushers).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2016/4/6/11303036/2016-nfl-draft-breakdown-jack-conklin-offensive-line-michigan-state

but, my question is, would he be willing to switch to Guard? I think he would to be honest. We have until May 2 to decide if we will pick up his 5th year option or not, and so I think by the end of OTAs in April we might know if this switch to Guard is going to happen or not. Regardless of if he is designated a Guard or Tackle, he will be getting paid $13 million if we decide to pick up the option. 

JROB defintely knows that Stinnie, Pamphile, and Levin are not starting quality guards — no doubt about this. Also, D. Kelly is definitely not a Guard. In addition, I don’t think JROB would inject a Round 3 Guard from the draft into the starting lineup.

So I see three options playing out:

1) We sign Josh Sitton and he is the default starter at G for a year.

2) We trade up to the top of Round 2 of the draft to select a Guard to start for us this year.

3) Conklin makes the transition from RT to RG at OTAs in April.

what do y’all think?

58 minutes ago, Mariota615TN said:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000643329/Jack-Conklin-2016-Combine-Workout

please look at his movement abilities and tell me he couldn’t be a great Guard. I think Guard would fully take advantage of his strengths (mauling run blocker) and mitigate his weaknesses (speed rushers).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2016/4/6/11303036/2016-nfl-draft-breakdown-jack-conklin-offensive-line-michigan-state

but, my question is, would he be willing to switch to Guard? I think he would to be honest. We have until May 2 to decide if we will pick up his 5th year option or not, and so I think by the end of OTAs in April we might know if this switch to Guard is going to happen or not. Regardless of if he is designated a Guard or Tackle, he will be getting paid $13 million if we decide to pick up the option. 

JROB defintely knows that Stinnie, Pamphile, and Levin are not starting quality guards — no doubt about this. Also, D. Kelly is definitely not a Guard. In addition, I don’t think JROB would inject a Round 3 Guard from the draft into the starting lineup.

So I see three options playing out:

1) We sign Josh Sitton and he is the default starter at G for a year.

2) We trade up to the top of Round 2 of the draft to select a Guard to start for us this year.

3) Conklin makes the transition from RT to RG at OTAs in April.

what do y’all think?

I think 3, I’m just reading between the lines. J Rob has said he wants the 5 best OL on the field, we all know who our 5 best OL are, however he’s not going to force a player to play a position they’re not capable of playing. So in other words I see them trying. Plus kelly is a FA after this season I’m pretty sure TN once yo find out who’s the better OL between him & Conklin 

1 hour ago, Mariota615TN said:

I don't think this comes into equation with Conklin. I'm not positive on the 5th year options, but franchise tags are designated by the entire unit... Doesn't matter if you're a LT a C or a combo, the tag is the same 14+M for any tagged OL. Looking at the top OL contracts, you have 2 Gs in the top 5 overall (Martin and Norwell... Prior to Brown's contract at least). His earning potential at G would be similar to that as a RT. 

If the team and he feel a transition to G keeps him playing at the same level as he has... Helps the team get the best unit on the field together, I dont think Conklin will have any issues with it. 

Can he do it... I'm sure he can, but I'm not an OL evaluator to know how successful he'll be there. As a money guy though, I look at the possibility of losing him or Kelly next year. Both are FAs and if both have good years, we won't be able to pay 4 OL top coin ( Lewan and Scaffold already getting paid 10+M...and with Jones also a FA, we're looking at 2 new OL in 2020). That's just me looking at big picture stuff... Shouldn't stop us from putting our best unit out there in '19, even if that includes Conklin and Kelly together on the field. 

Archived