Snapshot Free Agent Grades

dll2000

Someone wants to do their ownBears or other teams welcome to do it here.

Note: Grade does not reflect player ability, but value of deal and usefulness to team.  Not going to talk about players that may or may not make the team.

Bears:

Massie:  A 

Getting a good OT at 7-8 million year is a steal.  Great job.

Ben Braunecker: B-

Serviceable back up.  Helps with special teams.

C. Patterson: B+

Can return Ks, line up at RB and WR.  Has to be respected anytime he is on the field due to speed and athletic ability.

M. Davis: B-

Solid RB.  Helps the team.  Good price.  Has no big play ability.  

Buster Skrine:  C-

Below average and overrated NCB.  Not a great deal or pick up IMO.   Hope I am wrong.  

Ted Larson:  D

Pray for Long's health or Coward's development and this guy never sees the field.  

R. Coward: Incomplete. 

Not enough info to comment.

Robertson Harris:  B+

Still a player with untapped upside who provides nice rotation depth.  

Isiah Irving:  C

Didn't really show much last year.  Hopefully Fitts takes a step forward this year and overtakes this guy.  

H C-Dix:  A

Great talent for price of contract.  Got a top talent with everything to prove on a bargain basement deal.  

Pace has accomplished his goal to fulfill his philosophy of drafting BPA with above moves.  Big moves were obviously done last year, but still managed to add some nice pieces for a legit title run.  Should be an exciting year.

If he can find 1 or 2 contributors from 2019 draft it would really help.

Pace did a nice job of setting himself up for this offseason by tying up his CBs and Eddie Goldman last year. 

All we had to deal with as far as starters then were Massie, Amos, and Callahan and nailing Massie down early before the FA craziness began was slick. I think that move and getting C-Dix on a one year deal for only $3.5 mil were his biggest scores price wise.  Both came at far under average MV.

Keeping our younger RFAs without having to pay a minimum tender really helps.  $650k-$750k is a whole lot better than $2.1 mil.  I've always liked Braunecker and now that Sims is gone hopefully he'll get more shots on offense.  RRH is a beast.  Gotta find a way to sign him longer term next year.

Skrine's a C grade who could improve that in this defense.  Pagano will like his aggressiveness.

Patterson is a sneaky great signing I'll give a B+ to as well.  He replaces White, Bellamy, and Mizzell with a big dose of Devin Hester thrown in.  IMHO this was a really clever use of cap $$$ since by replacing more than one other player Patterson pays for himself.

Davis gets a B.  I think he'll be a good supplemental back but I'm far less certain he'll ever be a lead back or even should be one.

Larson is a vet mini pick up whom I'm thinking won't even count against the top 51.  Just filling a back end of the roster hole with a vet OC who may or may not even make the final roster.  Gonna call him "unrated". 

Archived