Pats Release Adrian Clayborn

goldfishwars

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

maybe at iowa ir tampa but not in atlanta at the end and certainly not at new england

He had the best pressure rate in the NFL last season. In what world does that not warrant calling him a good pass rusher?  The reason he is leaving NE isn't because he couldn't get after the QB, it's because he couldn't set the edge. For BB, that isn't going to work and Clayborn realizes his talent can be better utilized in a different system. I see this as a similar situation to Chris Long's tenure here. Talented, just not the best fit. He will no doubt get better numbers with the right team. 

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

maybe at iowa ir tampa but not in atlanta at the end and certainly not at new england

He was solid in Atlanta. Always ranked high in pressure % and was good against the run. He's an ideal #3 end. 

4 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Not good in Tampa thats why they let him go.  I think his rookie year was his best with 6 sacks and than he had injuries and just was never really that good also because of his arm deformity (excuse the ignorance) he could only play on the right side.

51 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

He had the best pressure rate in the NFL last season. In what world does that not warrant calling him a good pass rusher?  The reason he is leaving NE isn't because he couldn't get after the QB, it's because he couldn't set the edge. For BB, that isn't going to work and Clayborn realizes his talent can be better utilized in a different system. I see this as a similar situation to Chris Long's tenure here. Talented, just not the best fit. He will no doubt get better numbers with the right team. 

i dont really care for his stats say. i watched the guy play every game in 2018. the dude is been the definition of average the last couple of seasons. im pretty sure the pats were moving on from clayborn regardless of whether or not he asked. in fact i think i read a report that backed that idea up just a week ago. the fact that he cant defend the run terribly well either adds to his mediocrity.

44 minutes ago, jarren said:

He was solid in Atlanta. Always ranked high in pressure % and was good against the run. He's an ideal #3 end. 

maybe ideal on a middle of the pack defense that doesnt defend the run in the top 16 or have a lot of gap responsibility of its dline.

6 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

maybe ideal on a middle of the pack defense that doesnt defend the run in the top 16 or have a lot of gap responsibility of its dline.

Atlanta had a top 10 defense in 2017 and was the 9th best team against the run. 

18 minutes ago, jarren said:

Atlanta had a top 10 defense in 2017 and was the 9th best team against the run. 

im talking adrian clayborn today. right now he is definitely worse than he was at the end of 2017. and that is ignoring my other point which is that the atlanta falcons defense under dan quinn is largely one gap, (i.e. "doesn't...have a lot of gap responsibility of its dline").

in 2017 clayborn was hardly the third option bringing pressure but as a third defensive end that year? yeah he and shelby and upshaw and brooks reed and tak mckinley all sort of rotated so much that i couldnt call clayborn a true or for this arguments sake an exclusive #3. not technically in 2017 and certainly not now heading into 2019 where he is slower, older, and probably weaker against the run as well.

12 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

i watched the guy play every game in 2018. the dude is been the definition of average the last couple of seasons.

To be fair, even an average pass rusher (or average DE in general if that’s what you meant) is pretty damn valuable in the NFL. 

Archived