Browns sign OT Kendall Lamm

mistakey

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

regardless this puts Desmond Harrison on thin ice imo

How?

This signing has nothing to do with Harrison's status.

Teams require 4 Tackles to go through a season. With Robinson and Hubbard question marks, Lamm with starter experience but his own play quality questions marks is a good gamble to add to the team as a security blanket.

Harrison is still the Tackle of the future developmental prospect on this team. He played extremely well at times last year and had serious struggles as well. We're not quitting on that type of talent even if Lamm comes in and stars.

There's a reason why Lamm started 13 games, his own team didn't resign him, and he didn't get a huge contract in FA... it's b/c currently he's seen as a short term starter not a long term fix. Harrison has long term upside.

Their being on the roster together means nothing imo.

Just now, Mind Character said:

How?

This signing has nothing to do with Harrison's status.

Teams require 4 Tackles to go through a season. With Robinson and Hubbard question marks, Lamm with starter experience but his own play quality questions marks is a good gamble to add to the team as a security blanket.

Harrison is still the Tackle of the future developmental prospect on this team. He played extremely well at times last year and had serious struggles as well. We're not quitting on that type of talent even if Lamm comes in and stars.

There's a reason why Lamm started 13 games, his own team didn't resign him, and he didn't get a huge contract in FA... it's b/c currently he's seen as a short term starter not a long term fix. Harrison has long term upside.

Their being on the roster together means nothing imo.

na, not all teams keep 4 tackles.  harrison was pretty bad, also is pretty light, also is only less than 1 year younger than robinson.  he's no developmental prospect anymore.

51 minutes ago, mistakey said:

na, not all teams keep 4 tackles.  harrison was pretty bad, also is pretty light, also is only less than 1 year younger than robinson.  he's no developmental prospect anymore.

I think the front office knows better than to look at it that way if I'm being honest.

Harrison did not play great, but he went from West Georgia to starting left tackle in the NFL against a fairly complex scheme in the Pittsburgh Steelers with 0 pre-season games under his belt.  We played Joel Bitonio at LT for every pre-season game and then moved everything around when we started week 1.  Of course he was going to struggle.

Also Hue and Hailey did nothing to help him.  Didn't chip with TE's, didn't get the ball out quickly.  We set him up for failure, and honestly, he didn't look THAT bad.

He needs some time to prepare but I would not go as far as to say he was bad.

And I undestand pretty light but what was Joe Thomas playing weight?  If you are sound in technique you don't need to be 360 lbs.

And of course he is a developmental prospect, he has been in the NFL for 1 year, he came out of West Georgia.  He needs time to develop.  I don't care how old he is...

1 minute ago, CBrownsman said:

I think the front office knows better than to look at it that way if I'm being honest.

Harrison did not play great, but he went from West Georgia to starting left tackle in the NFL against a fairly complex scheme in the Pittsburgh Steelers with 0 pre-season games under his belt.  We played Joel Bitonio at LT for every pre-season game and then moved everything around when we started week 1.  Of course he was going to struggle.

Also Hue and Hailey did nothing to help him.  Didn't chip with TE's, didn't get the ball out quickly.  We set him up for failure, and honestly, he didn't look THAT bad.

He needs some time to prepare but I would not go as far as to say he was bad.

And I undestand pretty light but what was Joe Thomas playing weight?  If you are sound in technique you don't need to be 360 lbs.

And of course he is a developmental prospect, he has been in the NFL for 1 year, he came out of West Georgia.  He needs time to develop.  I don't care how old he is...

joe thomas was still around 310 at times
harrison is 290

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

I loved Harrison movement skills, and he looked slim for an nfl offensive lineman. We get to keep him through training camp and pre seasn, if he looks improved we keep him, and if he looks very good we move on from Robinson next year and get a comp pick and move forward with Harrison. 

2 hours ago, mistakey said:

So a rookie with uber talent, strong and terrible play, with some starting experience at a key and scarce NFL position is not a developmental player anymore because they struggled mightily at times their rookie year? It's not about age, it's about years in the league. We all know he and Robinson are similar in age, but experience in the league is an entirely different matter.

Can Lamm play Left Tackle?

Nope. That's according to the Texans and pro personnel scouting of his skill set.

Can Chris Hubbard play Left Tacke?

Nope.

How many players are on our roster that can play Left Tackle besides Greg Robinson and who is that player?

One. Desmond Harrison.

Does he have long-term starter upside and ability.

Yes, but he needs development.

-------------

I agree with you that not all teams keep 4 Tackles on the active roster; however, such teams almost always do so because they have pro-bowl, all-pro, or quality starters at 1 or both Tackle positions. Therefore, their concerns about the quality of play of their tackles is such that they use the roster spot in the two deep elsewhere at another position group. On the other hand, teams with question marks about the quality play of the Tackles keep 4 Tackles. That's the situation we're in, especially when Greg Robinson is on a 1-year prove-it deal and our inexperience developmental long-term starter player (Harrison) is on a cost controlled UDFA contract.

It's doubtful that we find a player with the ability and talent to play LT in the draft unless we use our 2nd round pick on such a player. Even then, whether it be Chuma Edoga, Tytus Howard, Dalton Risner, or Eli Udoh. they would likely struggle much like Harrison in year 1 should they be made a day 1 starter. In reality, none of them have the raw ability that Harrison has (Harrison has more off-the field concerns and a knee issue however).

All in all, Desmond is not likely at all to be on "thin ice" or on "the hot seat" because of the Lamm signing. As long as he continues to work at it, both he and Lam are assets on our roster.

17 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

So a rookie with uber talent, strong and terrible play, with some starting experience at a key and scarce NFL position is not a developmental player anymore because they struggled mightily at times their rookie year? It's not about age, it's about years in the league. We all know he and Robinson are similar in age, but experience in the league is an entirely different matter.

Can Lamm play Left Tackle?

Nope. That's according to the Texans and pro personnel scouting of his skill set.

Can Chris Hubbard play Left Tacke?

Nope.

How many players are on our roster that can play Left Tackle besides Greg Robinson and who is that player?

One. Desmond Harrison.

Does he have long-term starter upside and ability.

Yes, but he needs development.

-------------

I agree with you that not all teams keep 4 Tackles on the active roster; however, such teams almost always do so because they have pro-bowl, all-pro, or quality starters at both 1 or both Tackle positions. Therefore, there concerns about the quality of play of their tackles is such that they use the roster spot in the two deep elsewhere at another position group. On the other hand, teams with question marks about the quality play of the Tackles keep 4 Tackles. That's the situation we're in, especially when Greg Robinson is on a 1-year prove-it deal and our inexperience developmental long-term starter player (Harrison) is on a cost controlled UDFA contract.

It's doubtful that we find a player with the ability and talent to play LT in the draft unless we use our 2nd round pick on such a player. Even then, whether it be Chuma Edoga, Tytus Howard, Dalton Risner, or Eli Udoh. they would likely struggle much like Harrison in year 1 should they be made a day 1 starter. In reality, none of them have the raw ability that Harrison has (Harrison has more off-the field concerns and a knee issue however).

All in all, Desmond is not likely at all to be on "thin ice" or on "the hot seat" because of the Lamm signing. As long as he continues to work at it, both he and Lam are assets on our roster.

Exactly, I really like Harrison's upside and the fact he is on a UDFA contract is just icing on the cake imo. 

Archived