Titans trade for Tannehill

dtait93

29 minutes ago, Mariota615TN said:

It’s kind of wierd to say but I really think it’s the best FA move made so far for our team. Just shows how committed JROB is to winning this next year — and how smart he is to realize Marcus is likely going to get hurt at some point and Tannehill can step right in and our offense won’t miss a beat. Love it, love it, love it.

I agree 100 percent . You don’t make a move like this if your not worried about your QB getting hurt , this is a “save my *** move “ from Robinson. Gms don’t make these kinda moves if there confident in there franchise QB, and the Titans have had two seasons end (2016 and 2018 ) because Marcus was hurt or got hurt. 

This was a move Robinson had to make and I think the fans as a whole love this move because we now have  A competent backup that won’t have this team fall off a cliff like our last two backups did. I’ve never in my life have been more excited for a backup QB Acquisition which tells me a lot about Mariota. His seat became hotter if that’s even possible . 

I don't think this is a save my anything move. Even when some of us are unhappy, bottom line is we are 27-21 under JRob... Who took over a team that was 12-32 the 3 years prior to him coming on board... Including 5 wins total the 2 year's prior to him. 

He's done an outstanding job in spite of the limitations and roster he inhereted. 

I honestly think they feel Mariota can lead this team they've assembled on a deep playoff run. Whatever your thoughts are on Mariota, this is a team built to win in the playoffs and with him at QB. But we can't afford not to make it again if he has to miss time... Again. Tannehill not only give us a competent starter in place of Mariota, but their games appear to be very similar... So the offense should continue with only slight variation and production (hopefully we're producing at a different level this year). 

If the general consensus among us is that the QB play won’t really drop off with Tannehill under center if Mariota gets hurt...what should that tell us about Mariota? He’s gonna have to show us a whole lot this year to garner that contract...we shouldn’t pony up for someone that is basically Tannehill.

4 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

If the general consensus among us is that the QB play won’t really drop off with Tannehill under center if Mariota gets hurt...what should that tell us about Mariota? He’s gonna have to show us a whole lot this year to garner that contract...we shouldn’t pony up for someone that is basically Tannehill.

Just because production shouldn't waver much isn't an indication of your starter. NOD coming in and doing good in place of McNair is not a damnation on McNair. 

It's the type of team we are... We've built. Mariota needs to provide those leadership qualities... Like he did in KC, against Jax, etc. Just because he may not put up 30 passing TDs, doesn't mean he's not the best fit here for us. 

People sometimes focus on the wrong things... Like everything should be a paper copy of everything else. (I'm guilty of it myself when I signify our front 7 alignments) 

There was a post earlier where someone stated we put up something like 26 ppg  under Gabbert or something like that. I don't know where that came from or what... But i'm sure whoever posted that didn't account that in every single game Gabbert had significant play in, he was helped by a non traditional TD... We had 4 DST tds all of last year.... All while Gabbert was in at qb: Jennings return v miami... Byard fake punt pass v Houston... Butlers int td vs the Skins... And Browns int td vs the Colts. 

19 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Just because production shouldn't waver much isn't an indication of your starter. NOD coming in and doing good in place of McNair is not a damnation on McNair. 

It's the type of team we are... We've built. Mariota needs to provide those leadership qualities... Like he did in KC, against Jax, etc. Just because he may not put up 30 passing TDs, doesn't mean he's not the best fit here for us. 

That’s true. Though I will say Tannehill coming in and doing good in place of Mariota could be a damnation on Mariota depending on what point of the season it happens, how many games it happens for, and if we’re winning those games since this is a make or break year for him.

42 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

That’s true. Though I will say Tannehill coming in and doing good in place of Mariota could be a damnation on Mariota depending on what point of the season it happens, how many games it happens for, and if we’re winning those games since this is a make or break year for him.

I think I disagree.  Chances are that the Titans are going to have very different game plans when Tannehill is in vs. Mariota.  They are similar QBs to a degree, but that doesn't mean they have the same strengths and weaknesses.  Mariota is a beast on third down, for instance.  Tannehill not so much, and that's more important (IMO) in clutch situations, and is one reason people who don't watch so many Titans games seem to think there's a QB controversy now.

When Mariota is starting, he's going to be expected to win games, Tannehill will be expected to not lose.  And those are very different things.

Alright!

Back home from a family cruise, during opening week of FA! Lol. With poor internet and phone connection, missed all the goodness. 

But went though Miami with my Titans gear on...

I had several... Several!  Even the TSA checker stop me to tell me, "Thanks for taking tannehill from us!" Lol they hate him more than some of y'all hate Marcus. 😊

I was like he is our backup and hopefully never sees the field. But I trust him to play two games if needed. 

But yeah. Miami was so so glad. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Alright!

Back home from a family cruise, during opening week of FA! Lol. With poor internet and phone connection, missed all the goodness. 

But went though Miami with my Titans gear on...

I had several... Several!  Even the TSA checker stop me to tell me, "Thanks for taking tannehill from us!" Lol they hate him more than some of y'all hate Marcus. 😊

I was like he is our backup and hopefully never sees the field. But I trust him to play two games if needed. 

But yeah. Miami was so so glad. 

Well its been like 8 years or something with Ryan. id be done by then to. The hate for Marcus on this site is at a all time high. I havent read this thread other than the last two posts I bet people are saying Ryan should start or something crazy.

But yeah I like the move. We had to upgrade the back up spot. If we had a back up like this last year I doubt we lose that last game vs the colts but its all good glad Ryans here.

22 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

Well its been like 8 years or something with Ryan. id be done by then to. The hate for Marcus on this site is at a all time high. I havent read this thread other than the last two posts I bet people are saying Ryan should start or something crazy.

But yeah I like the move. We had to upgrade the back up spot. If we had a back up like this last year I doubt we lose that last game vs the colts but its all good glad Ryans here.

You'd actually been surprised... I think after all the back and forth the last couple of seasons... we're all pretty much in agreement as far as Mariota is concerned.  He is our starter... he's the best QB on the roster... but we've now protected ourselves as best as we could if he gets hurt... for a very minimal cost.  

I think the FO obviously made moves that they think makes the team better.  But this move above all else.... shows (to me at least) that they believe they can make a deep run.  And by acquiring a backup that has been a more than capable starter, they've set it up where a short term injury to Mariota doesn't derail this team.  

The main reason this move was made is to avoid another situation like what happened in the last home game vs Indy. If we had Mariota or even a good backup QB i think we could've won and made the postseason. The defense was playing lights out but our offense couldnt hang due to insufficient backup at QB. In '19 if Mariota gets hurt with 3 games left and we are in the middle of a division and playoff race we dont have to panic because we have a good backup in Tannehill thats damn near equal to Mariota.

4 hours ago, The Robfather said:

The main reason this move was made is to avoid another situation like what happened in the last home game vs Indy. If we had Mariota or even a good backup QB i think we could've won and made the postseason. The defense was playing lights out but our offense couldnt hang due to insufficient backup at QB. In '19 if Mariota gets hurt with 3 games left and we are in the middle of a division and playoff race we dont have to panic because we have a good backup in Tannehill thats damn near equal to Mariota.

As bad as week 17 was in my head we were literally in the game until Gabbert threw that pick in the 4th.

It goes beyond that pick though why Gabbert needed to be replaced. The guy was nervous from drive number 1.

Titans had some momentum from the trick play that Cruikshank returned to midfield but if I remember correctly didn’t Gabbert immediately over throw a guy or skip a ball to someone? I remember it was right there in then in here we were all like “oh boy gonna be one of those nights”

Gabbret was great managing the game against Houston because we literally took the air out of the ball and our Special Teams and Defense were able to get us a lead and Taylor scored his 1 TD on a screen for us.

When it comes to having throw to win games Gabbert just isnt capable of it. He wasn’t great against Miami, he got decapitated vs the Jags, he was only able to put together 2 good drives in the last 2 games of the season but we need more than that to win when Mariota goes down 

Archived