Raiders sign DE/DT Josh Mauro

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Again with the trend of DTs and DE. Maybe Boston College's Zach Allen is in the cards in the draft. For the record I wouldn't hate that--Allen is very underrated.

Polite at 24 and Allen in the 2nd would be nice. Mauro and Key as rotation guys. Or Allen and Mauro as Run Downs and Key ans Polite on Pass Downs. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Polite at 24 and Allen in the 2nd would be nice. Mauro and Key as rotation guys. 

Not crazy about Polite.

I have been really liking Georgia's De'Andre Walker. I like him more than Polite and about just as much as Burns. I think he has more potential as a pass rusher than both.

11 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Not crazy about Polite.

I have been really liking Georgia's De'Andre Walker. I like him more than Polite and about just as much as Burns. I think he has more potential as a pass rusher than both.

Polite is one of the most explosive edge players in the class. If you don't like Polite I'm assuming you don't like Brian Burns or Josh Allen because they're all very similar players. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Polite is one of the most explosive edge players in the class. If you don't like Polite I'm assuming you don't like Brian Burns or Josh Allen because they're all very similar players. 

I think your view on these players is overly myopic since they're all noticeably different.

I really like Allen and I liken him as rusher with all the natural traits I look for: size, length, strength, explosiveness, agility, and flexibility (bend). I like Allen as 6 tech outward. In the Raiders' scheme he'd be the RDE. My compy for Allen is Chandler Jones.

Burns I like considerably less than Allen, but I still like him as a prospect. He has the length and agility, but I question his explosiveness after the snap and flexibility to bend the edge. He plays super long so bend might not be as important. His length also helps him with possible strength deficiencies since he can get his hands on tackles early. He's also fairly polished as a pass rusher. I also like him at RDE for the Raiders but his best fit would be on Bear front teams like the Lions, Texans, Patriots, and probably Dolphins. My comp for Burns is Leonard Floyd.

In Polite, I see explosiveness, but I don't see much strength or bend to go with it. I also don't like his size or his length. Because the right combination of athletic traits means so much when I evaluate edge players, he's more of a second rounder to me. 

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

I think your view on these players is overly myopic since they're all noticeably different.

I really like Allen and I liken him as rusher with all the natural traits I look for: size, length, strength, explosiveness, agility, and flexibility (bend). I like Allen as 6 tech outward. In the Raiders' scheme he'd be the RDE. My compy for Allen is Chandler Jones.

Allen couldn't convert speed to power in college so how is he going to do it in the NFL? He's going to get abused with his hand in the dirt every play in the league.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

In Polite, I see explosiveness, but I don't see much strength or bend to go with it. I also don't like his size or his length. Because the right combination of athletic traits means so much when I evaluate edge players, he's more of a second rounder to me. 

Polite was 6'3" 258 with 32 1/2" arms at the combine while Allen was 6'5" 262 with 33" arms...

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Allen couldn't convert speed to power in college so how is he going to do it in the NFL? He's going to get abused with his hand in the dirt every play in the league.

That is not what I saw.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Polite was 6'3" 258 with 32 1/2" arms at the combine while Allen was 6'5" 262 with 33" arms...

Going based on what I saw in games. Sometimes guys put on weight between the end of the season and the combine. Polite looked like he weighed under 250 lbs.

Going by the games also works in his favor, because he sure looked like he played faster and more explosive than a 4.8 40 and a 32" vertical.

With regards to the length--a 1/2" makes a difference, but more importantly, it's how a guy plays with length. I didn't see Polite as a guy who engaged lineman with length, which is something that every successful pass rusher in the NFL must do. Allen did.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

That is not what I saw.

Allen really struggled using his hands and winning inside. He won almost exclusively to the outside in college. According to PFF Allen ranked 9th in outside pressures, 58th in inside pressures, and 104th in bull rush pressures. If he can't consistently win inside or with bull rushes against college OT how is he going to do it in the NFL?

Archived