49ers cut Cassius Marsh DE

49erurtaza

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Wow, I'm a little surprised by this. I figured they would've at least given him a shot to compete in TC. This makes me wonder if we're preparing to add another EDGE in FA or two in the draft. 

Just wasnt worth the hit, I think. He costs like 5 million against the cap. We can probably get in on someone like Ray for 2-3 million or something

Just now, Forge said:

Just wasnt worth the hit, I think. He costs like 5 million against the cap. We can probably get in on someone like Ray for 2-3 million or something

Oh, I agree completely, he was very overpaid. But that 5 mil wasn't going to affect the draft at all, so it makes me think they're cutting him now because they're preparing to make a sizable contract offer to an EDGE rusher. Justin Houston maybe?

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Oh, I agree completely, he was very overpaid. But that 5 mil wasn't going to affect the draft at all, so it makes me think they're cutting him now because they're preparing to make a sizable contract offer to an EDGE rusher. Justin Houston maybe?

Maybe Ziggy too. I don't think he's signing for big money. Figure like 8 Mil with another 2 in incentives possibly. Maybe he'll get more on a one year deal though. Never expected funchess to get 13, after all. But I do feel like we may see another edge rusher in FA before drafting Bosa

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Wow, I'm a little surprised by this. I figured they would've at least given him a shot to compete in TC. This makes me wonder if we're preparing to add another EDGE in FA or two in the draft. 

I'm going to guess we only add a edge player in the draft. But like @Forge says if we can get Ray at 2-3 mil that be awesome

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm going to guess we only add a edge player in the draft. But like @Forge says if we can get Ray at 2-3 mil that be awesome

If that's the case, then why cut Marsh now? His 5 mil isn't going to make or break the draft class so what's the rush unless we're preparing to hand out a decent-sized contract to a free agent?

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

If that's the case, then why cut Marsh now? His 5 mil isn't going to make or break the draft class so what's the rush unless we're preparing to hand out a decent-sized contract to a free agent?

Could be a bit of respect. Gives Marsh the chance to catch on somewhere sooner than later. They know they are going to acquire (probably draft) an edge guy, and they do not share my feeling that Marsh is worth a look at the SAM. So, wth.. may as well let him loose. 

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Courtesy? If the team knows that they are going in a different direction either way, it gives Marsh a reasonable chance to find a new home.

Just now, oldman9er said:

Could be a bit of respect. Gives Marsh the chance to catch on somewhere sooner than later. They know they are going to acquire (probably draft) an edge guy, and they do not share my feeling that Marsh is worth a look at the SAM. So, wth.. may as well let him loose. 

Fair point. Not as exciting as a potential mystery contract in the works, though. ¬¬

Archived