Ravens Sign Justin Bethel

DreamKid

4 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Cyrus Jones will go before Canady imo. Mo is better in coverage and can play safety if needed. Jones' return ability isn't strong enough to override that.

I see it as the other way around. Canady's coverage ability isn't strong enough to override Jones' punt return skills.

Just now, BareYourTeeth said:

I see it as the other way around. Canady's coverage ability isn't strong enough to override Jones' punt return skills.

I guess we'll have to see what the team values more, should be interesting. If they draft a WR or HB with return ability, Cyrus has more cause for concern. 

36 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Makes sense. Kick coverage was uncharacteristically lesser last year. So it's a good move. Not good for some depth players in our secondary though.

Why even consider Bethel as a DB? He couldn't even see the field playing for Atlanta's sorry *** defense.

He should be considered like Cox, Tucker, and Koch, a ST player only. 

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

Why even consider Bethel as a DB? He couldn't even see the field playing for Atlanta's sorry *** defense.

He should be considered like Cox, Tucker, and Koch, a ST player only. 

It's a numbers game though. And we have a surplus on the back end. Logically you have to assume it's going to be real tight there this season. Just last year we lost a talented young DB in Darious Williams to the Rams.

This is an interesting one. I like the move, bolstering special teams depth/talent is always useful. Hopefully his contract doesn't cancel out the 4th round comp pick though. 

I'm inclined to agree with Angus and not consider Bethel a DB or defensive player at all, but like DreamKid said it is a numbers game. The team isn't going to cut a talented corner though. They know better than that and 7 were kept on the active roster all last season if I remember correctly. Smith, Carr, Humphrey, Young, Averett, and Canady are all making it. Maybe Jaylen Hill too. Cyrus Jones could be out, he's nothing special at corner or returner.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

It's a numbers game though. And we have a surplus on the back end. Logically you have to assume it's going to be real tight there this season. Just last year we lost a talented young DB in Darious Williams to the Rams.

It's just an odd move to me because the numbers are so tight at DB. Are we going to lose another young DB because a ST player is taking a roster spot?

I know having a good gunner is important, but I feel like after the draft is time to address it. Let the rosters shake out and see who is available. Given all of Harbaugh's ST coaching experience, I'd rather see him coach up young guys to do a good job rather than lose a quality developmental DB to a ST player. 

Archived