Ravens Sign Justin Bethel

DreamKid

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Cyrus Jones will go before Canady imo. Mo is better in coverage and can play safety if needed. Jones' return ability isn't strong enough to override that.

Why would we release someone who brings tremendous value to the team over someone who doesn't? Like I'm sorry but Maurice Canady may not even be the 5th best CB on the roster.

18 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why would we release someone who brings tremendous value to the team over someone who doesn't? Like I'm sorry but Maurice Canady may not even be the 5th best CB on the roster.

Canady is an Inside/Outside CB with Safety versatility. He's a starter caliber player at one of the most important positions in football. I don't know how you could possibly think he doesn't bring value to us. Did you forget him ending our game against the Colts in 2017?

Him not being the 5th best CB on our team isn't a knock. It's a testament to our tremendous depth at the position. Something that can quickly fade away when you start releasing 24 year old starting talents at the position. 

You don't get rid of talented young QBs, OL, PRs, or CBs. Ever. Cyrus Jones isn't a talented CB, he's a talented returner. A much easier commodity to replace. Rostering a pure punt returner is a luxury, rostering talented and capable CB depth is a necessity.

9 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

He's a starter caliber player at one of the most important positions in football.

Since when?

I don't know how you could possibly think he doesn't bring value to us. Did you forget him ending our game against the Colts in 2017?

Yeah the dude's made one play in his entire career. Doesn't mean he suddenly brings value to our team that a solid return man doesn't.

Him not being the 5th best CB on our team isn't a knock. It's a testament to our tremendous depth at the position. Something that can quickly fade away when you start releasing 24 year old starting talents at the position. 

You don't get rid of talented young QBs, OL, PRs, or CBs. Ever. Cyrus Jones isn't a talented CB, he's a talented returner. A much easier commodity to replace. Rostering a pure punt returner is a luxury, rostering talented and capable CB depth is a necessity.

if returner was an easy commodity for us we wouldn't have such an impossible time finding guys who can do it tbh

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

if returner was an easy commodity for us we wouldn't have such an impossible time finding guys who can do it tbh

I don't think we've had an impossible time. It just isn't a priority. If the Ravens went into any draft with the desire to find a solid punt returner, they could find one. Camp was good 2 years ago, and Jones was good last year. I'm not worried about us finding talented returners. I'd like to see us actually hit on some skill position players that can do it though.

Please let this just revolve around special teams and he never sees cb action. 

But also how much does a special team gunner cost us? To me it’s a waste of little cap that we already have. Unless like another member had stated. Is this to allow Chris Moore to come off of ST and focus soly at wr this season 

29 minutes ago, ravens5520 said:

Please let this just revolve around special teams and he never sees cb action. 

But also how much does a special team gunner cost us? To me it’s a waste of little cap that we already have. Unless like another member had stated. Is this to allow Chris Moore to come off of ST and focus soly at wr this season 

I believe this is really what it comes down to. We shouldn't see the "CB" label on Bethel, but just let him be a special teamer like Matt Slater in New England or like Gary Stills was with us. Don't think he ever saw a snap as a linebacker.

If Bethel takes Chris Moores spot on special teams, it will give us a current wide receiver look "Moore, Snead, Lasley" and while we would put our hat on 2 unproven players, they both have upside and if we add a type like Parris Campbell, we have some playmaking ability as well as a chainmover in Snead.

The "big receiver" I think we already have with our tight ends, and we would have one as well unless Scott is a complete 4. round bust in year 2.

13 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Since when?

Yeah the dude's made one play in his entire career. Doesn't mean he suddenly brings value to our team that a solid return man doesn't.

These are my thoughts as well.

People on this forum are overrating Maurice Canady's play at corner. Yes, he got into games a couple of years back. He didn't play all that well in them. Certainly not well enough to warrant cutting Cyrus Jones at returner.

10 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

These are my thoughts as well.

People on this forum are overrating Maurice Canady's play at corner. Yes, he got into games a couple of years back. He didn't play all that well in them. Certainly not well enough to warrant cutting Cyrus Jones at returner.

Not to mention he can't stay healthy.

Archived