Triple Frontier (Netflix)

Manny/Patrick

I've been watching it the last two nights specifically because @devils1854 called it a bad movie and the last movie he said was bad was probably the best movie I've seen in 10 years, but it's really bad.  It's not bad, it's... Weird.  Something about it makes it not feel like a movie.  Like that Garrett Hedlund character.  Is he supposed to be brain damaged from the boxing?  Because he acts like his character is supposed to be brain damaged from the boxing.  Then everybody is against the whole thing and then suddenly for the whole thing and it's just really, really, really bad and I can't figure out whether it's the pacing or the script or the dialogue or everything, but it's not like an actual movie, it's like what someone with no experience writing a movie would speak into a tape recorder.

"So it starts with the one guy in a drug bust, people get shot in the head and he tries to catch a pretty girl, but she gets away, then we find out he knows the pretty girl and she knows how to get the bad guy.  So the good guy tries to talk to another guy who is an animal and the animal character will only do it if they get the Bob family man with a divorce thing to do it, we'll figure out how to give the mmain good guy a conversation with Bob guy's daughter some damn how by having Ben Affleck randomly go into a building for no reason whatsoever after he drives main good guy to drop the daughter off for some damn weird reason that doesn't make sense, and then next thing we know we're in Jurassic Park area with forest and all the guys are there and we'll have Sons of Anarchy talking out loud right on the other side of a fence with holes in it talking about an execution about to take place because apparently people can't hear normal levels of talking on the other side of a fence, so we'll show that to show that this bad guy is super dangerous and that he executes people every day because there must be a stable supply of people to execute every day.  Then, all the good guys will find out main good guy lied to them and that they're about to become criminals and everybody is okay with it so that we can get to the good stuff and the more violence and language and shooting." 

I thought the movie was solid, but the ending was a super let down. There's one major surprise and besides that there's no real plot twist - it's just 5 guys trying to steal some money. They even blatantly copied the firefight on the rocks scene from Lone Survivor.

I thought the script was fine, the plot was fine (until the end) and the action was fine. I liked Oscar Isaac's character, but yeah I think y'all are right, the pacing goes from "introducing these characters, none of whom are willing to participate in this crime" to "okay we're ready to kill everyone!" in about 20 minutes.

I think the movie would've been served so much better with a much larger plot twist, like the men turning on each other or something like that. But overall I didn't think it was terrible like some suggest.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:08 AM, Outpost31 said:

I've been watching it the last two nights specifically because @devils1854 called it a bad movie and the last movie he said was bad was probably the best movie I've seen in 10 years, but it's really bad. 

lol

you watched this garbage twice? TWICE!!?

Its a good enough movie if you know what youre going in for. A shoot 'em up heist thing without much structure to it.

As pointed out, they dont even really have an inciting indecent for this whole thing, they all just kind of decide to go do it.

Was worth the watch on my couch. Just surprised they got this cast to do it. It Visually looks pretty cool most of the time too.

Archived