Matthew Stafford and Lions agree to new deal

BroncoSojia

25 minutes ago, Malik said:

8Not having a team of all-pros =/= not having quality players. Yall are out here acting like your team is full of practice squad quality players who don't deserve to be in the NFL outside of Stafford. The Saints have consistently been fielding one of the worst defenses in the history of the NFL. Are you trying to say the Lions are that bad? Look at any of the offensive players for the Jets. None of them would start on any team and most wouldn't make a roster. The team is right in that median range as far as talent goes with nothing to put them over the top which is why no one is high up on them. That doesn't mean they're talentless.

Lions have consistently had a poor defense. In fact, only once in Stafford's 8 years did the defense finish top 10 in the league. That was 2014. That's when they had Ndamukong Suh, Stephen Tulloch, a healthy DeAndre Levy,  James Ihedigbo, Jason Jones, Rasean Mathis, Nick Fairley, C.J. Mosley, a healthy Ziggy Ansah. No surprise, Lions went 11-5 that season, made the playoffs, and were going toe to toe with Dallas despite some questionable antics going deep into that game. How many of those players listed are still Lions? How many are still in the league? Take Suh off of that defense and tell me how they do? Yes, Stafford played with a high quality guy in Suh. The team played well when he had that talent around him, but it's now gone.

How many "offensive weapons" has Stafford played with in 8 seasons? How many are still in the league? Tony Scheffler? Reggie Bush? Jahvid Best? Joe Fauria? Bryant Johnson? Brandon Pettigrew? Titus Young? Keiland Williams? Maurice Stovall? Ryan Broyles? Will Heller? Kris Durham? Stefan Logan? Nate Burleson? Calvin Johnson? Calvin Johnson is a once in a generation type of WR for a team like the Lions. Lions made the playoffs twice in 5 years with him and Stafford. When he retired, people said Stafford and the Lions would take a step back and be bad for years. Stafford was having an MVP season, finished with a winning record and a playoff berth without Megatron and with an injured throwing hand. Where are these guys now? 

You made the claim that Lions have had "high quality players at near every position on the team" during Stafford's 8 seasons. That is a vast overstatement. 

47 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

It won't look different, it just means those teams are in tough spots as well.  Do you really think Matt Ryan is worth $9M more per year than Russell Wilson?  It's not an ideal situation for the Falcons and puts them at a disadvantage against teams that locked their franchise QB into a deal earlier.  Same with the Lions which is all I'm saying.  I think we partly agree on this topic.  I'm not blasting the Lions for doing this deal, just saying it wasn't an ideal situation for them.  They are at a disadvantage against teams like Seattle, Cincy, and Carolina that got their QBs for much cheaper but thems the breaks...

This makes little to no sense. If the lions didnt have stafford at 27 per year, theyd be at an even bigger disadvantage then they supposedly already are. Plus the way NFL deals work, if stafford doesnt hold serve or takes steps back, they can get out of it in a few years. Not to mention contracts can be manipulated

17 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

Teams with decent QBs continue to use "what other option do we have?" as though it's a valid justification when it comes to contracts. Altogether, the decision-making processes front offices go through regarding QBs (in the league and in the draft) are not good

You can't just let someone like this walk in FA out of principle... especially since he would get this same deal, if not more in the open market. We tried that once with Suh and he's now wearing different colors in exchange of a comp pick. 

6 hours ago, Malik said:

Outside of never finding #1 RB during the Stafford era there have been high quality players at near every position on the team. Outside of 2009 the Lions weren't ever considered to be at the bottom of the league talent wise. 

Thanks for making me spit my drink all over my monitor. 

6 hours ago, Malik said:

Yall are out here acting like your team is full of practice squad quality players who don't deserve to be in the NFL outside of Stafford.

Or, acting like our team has been mediocre at best over the years, which is why they've struggled to beat good teams.

2 hours ago, LionsFTW said:

You can't just let someone like this walk in FA out of principle... especially since he would get this same deal, if not more in the open market. We tried that once with Suh and he's now wearing different colors in exchange of a comp pick. 

Yes, you can

Archived